• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Night/ day use. Like to hear from yall. I have a Photon xt 4x that works really good. Was offered one in a trade. IMG_3077.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3077.jpg
      IMG_3077.jpg
      390.6 KB · Views: 359
    Last edited:

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Only pvs-4 and then pvs-7 I ever used were in the service. Of coarse I’ve been out since 2013 so night vision has far past those days. The ones I used as an infantryman were great though. Mine were also helmet mounted and after 6-8 hours of wearing them you definitely felt it in the neck when you took them off.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    From what I can find on your limited description, your scope is a Gen-1, digital image, user-selectable reticle day/night scope with IR illuminator. The PVS-4 is a Gen-2, but there are so many unknowns, the correct answer is again: "it depends".

Is it one of the newer versions with a more modern image intensifier tube?
    How many hours are on the tube?
    What reticle is currently in it? (you can swap the reticle modules for different missions/needs)
    Does it come with any other reticles?
    Is there a reticle already "burned" into the picture?
    Is it too heavy for your intended use? (These aren't lightweight)
    What is the battery setup? (I'm not familiar enough to tell from your picture, but there are various battery types, holders, internal vs external adapters, etc)
    Is the day/night cover included? (Great way to ruin some of those older tubes is to expose them to daylight for no reason)
    How much is the "trade value"? (Sportsman's guide had reconditioned ones for sale in 2015 for around $1200?)
    And probably most important: does it work? and how does it compare to your current scope, side by side?

If you want to spend $1200 towards night vision equipment, save up some more and get a Gen-3 setup. There are appropriately-tubed monocular rigs that mount to a rail and withstand recoil.

If you're trading a beat up 10/22 for it, it's probably worth it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I while back I saw somebody with a Sony camera that was night vision capable mounted in-line with the scope. It worked, and looked professional. I didnt get a manufacturer name other than Sony. It was clamped onto the scope body, not the rail, so could have multiple applications. Could record, too. Very nice

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There is a local that's been trying to push this optic for trade for a while (not sure if he's on this forum or not, but he's local to Pensacola) claiming it's a gen 2 updated pvs-4... claiming they sell for $1800+...

Do not trade for that optic. Tou will be highly disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - -> The lowest price thermal starts ABOUT where the higest price NV stops.
    Don't even consider NV. I understand the money/budget thing . . . and I respect that.
    HOWEVER . . . If you have to save your money for a little while longer and buy thermal you will come out better in the end. MUCH BETTER !!
    While you are saving your money,read up on thermal. Try to only pay for what you need. Do not buy a thermal with internal,rechargeable battery. You will only need 3-4X native power. Pay for the best resolution that you can afford. 640 / 480 if you can. Adjustable objective( focus for distance) also. At least a 50mm lens also.
    Those are my very basic reccomendations. I have more. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you're getting this strictly for hunting, thermal is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Only pvs-4 and then pvs-7 I ever used were in the service. Of coarse I’ve been out since 2013 so night vision has far past those days. The ones I used as an infantryman were great though. Mine were also helmet mounted and after 6-8 hours of wearing them you definitely felt it in the neck when you took them off.
    2013 wasn't that long ago. I've been using the same goggles since 2005. NV kind of hit a wall after gen 3. Specs have gotten better but it's been incremental changes. The latest WP stuff is "better" but it's not a huge leap in performance. Thermal has come down a lot price wise in that same time frame.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These An/pvs4 scopes were actually pretty decent out to 400 yards on light colored objects. This particular unit is prob one of the ones we lent to Isreal and when they were returned, they got rebuilt.
    It should be a Gen2 plus.
    I have owned at least 5 of these units over the years. What is cool about these is if the kit is complete. It wilk have multiple reticle systems that may be installed externally under a sort of scopecap. If you can get the AA battery conversions for them its a plus too. Good old school kit! But not up to par with todays tech. Worth $1100 all day to a collector of retro stuff.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    About like going on an all day bike ride on the interstate. Gotta build those neck and back muscles. Pull-ups are great for this

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    These An/pvs4 scopes were actually pretty decent out to 400 yards on light colored objects. This particular unit is prob one of the ones we lent to Isreal and when they were returned, they got rebuilt.
    It should be a Gen2 plus.
    I have owned at least 5 of these units over the years. What is cool about these is if the kit is complete. It wilk have multiple reticle systems that may be installed externally under a sort of scopecap. If you can get the AA battery conversions for them its a plus too. Good old school kit! But not up to par with todays tech. Worth $1100 all day to a collector of retro stuff.
    Gen2+ is decent stuff. I thought it was awesome on active duty when it was brand new. We were driving all over Camp Pendleton with them. Only problem I ever had was when cresting the hill behind the Naval Hospital and getting blinded at speed. We also had a driver in the middle of the night take out a whole row of porta potties in deep shade under an oak tree, and in a turn in the road. He swore he never saw them. Thank God and all things holy that nobody was in them

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gen2+ is decent stuff. I thought it was awesome on active duty when it was brand new. We were driving all over Camp Pendleton with them. Only problem I ever had was when cresting the hill behind the Naval Hospital and getting blinded at speed. We also had a driver in the middle of the night take out a whole row of porta potties in deep shade under an oak tree, and in a turn in the road. He swore he never saw them. Thank God and all things holy that nobody was in them
    These were never helmet mounted...... These are weapons sights only... They are 12" long x 2.5 at one end and 4" on the objective. Lol.... Im sure some goof tried it though... lol.. Why didnt I think of this....
    Dam... Oh and they weigh about 3.2 lbs.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    These were never helmet mounted...... These are weapons sights only... They are 12" long x 2.5 at one end and 4" on the objective. Lol.... Im sure some goof tried it though... lol.. Why didnt I think of this....
    Dam... Oh and they weigh about 3.2 lbs.
    Probably bullet proof too. There's a lot to be said about being overbuilt

Latest posts

Top Bottom