Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Number 1: Reloading manuals. Get this first! Lyman #50 or Lee's Modern Reloading Second Edition (preferably BOTH). Read them both TWICE. Only then should you think about presses, dies, powder, brass, bullets, primers, etc.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Welcome to reloading!

You ask a good question. Bohica gave good advice. After reading how to reload, you will know basically what you need and can determine if that kit is complete for your needs. You may find it is not and another kit is better. Reloading manuals can be found used on Ebay.

I know I did not answer your question directly and hope I am not frustrating you. The knowledge from the books can save you time, money, frustration and possibly prevent a serious accident. Do you know anyone who reloads? They may be able to show you their setup so you can see first hand how it all works together.

When it comes to comparing specific presses, equipment and components I believe you will find many willing to give you an opinion.

Best of luck!

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    great advice on the 2 above posts. I started in the 70's with a Lee handloader (still got it) and now have a Lee turret press. Plenty of good used stuff around that people have got and decide reloading ain't for them. Whatever you get will evolve as time goes on and you get used to the trade. Have fun!

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You need a way to clean your brass casings. I use a Cabelas model vibratory cleaner, but I think it's a rebranded Frankford Arsenal. I use walnut shell media and a little brass polish in mine. Works grreat. There are other cleaning methods but I prefer this one

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Iv been reading up on different methods and watching Youtube reloading. I don't have any friends who reload, my grandpa did, but his reloading stuff was given away by my grandma 10 years ago.

Thanks for the advice so far. Ill keep reading and take it slow. Ive been scouring this forum and others to see what setups people use and to see how to set up my shop.

Thanks!

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    great advice on the 2 above posts. I started in the 70's with a Lee handloader (still got it) and now have a Lee turret press. Plenty of good used stuff around that people have got and decide reloading ain't for them. Whatever you get will evolve as time goes on and you get used to the trade. Have fun!

+1 for the lee turret press. I am more relaxed when using it than when using my progressives. Less to monitor and watch.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You need a way to clean your brass casings. I use a Cabelas model vibratory cleaner, but I think it's a rebranded Frankford Arsenal. I use walnut shell media and a little brass polish in mine. Works grreat. There are other cleaning methods but I prefer this one

You're right, same thing I do. If you need the media go to the pet shop and get "lizard bedding". Probably a third of the cost for the same stuff.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wish I had gotten one of those instead of the loadmaster.

no excuse now! $215.99 on Amazon. Everything but the dies. The only thing I shit canned was the powder scale (I went digital) and the safety primer, I use a hand primer.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    no excuse now! $215.99 on Amazon. Everything but the dies. The only thing I shit canned was the powder scale (I went digital) and the safety primer, I use a hand primer.

I saw that. I have my dads old hand primer, but for me the more important stuff is the load mixes. Where do people buy powder in Pensacola?
    Mikes? Academy? I dont know any other places.

Members online

Top Bottom