• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Which frangible ammo? 30/06, 7.62x51, 5.56...? I shoot a lot (thousands) of M160 and MK 311 MOD O bullets.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    OK. MK 311 MOD O bullets are 50 grain frangible 5.56 bullets. Thin copper jacket with a brown tip, compressed copper dust inside. A very long bullet, they need 1/7" twist to stabilize. Good for shooting steel and not messing up the steel like regular ball bullets do. There is another type of 5.56 frangible made by Fiocchi for the U.S. Military with no brown tip...I've never shot them, but do have one box in the collection. Frangible 5.56 was not in the military when I was in, so I do not know how they are/were actually used. I was told a "sea story" (so I can't verify the truthfulness) that Seals used frangibles in ship rescues so as to not penetrate the steel bulkheads in ships and reduce ricochets.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frangible ammo in allits calibers and configurations does one thing: it reduces the potential for collateral damage (people and stuff). It will still kill or wound when it hits flesh first but penetration is normally poor. It prevents/minimizes collateral danage by breaking up/disintegrating on the initial impact on hard objects reducing ricochet.

Good for CQT, close Steel work, indoor ranges where there are backstop/cartridge limits. Some endorse its use in home defense especially in apartments, homes located close together and even within a single home where occupants can be in spaces fwd of the line of fire. Test results vary depending what the projectile "actually hits": 2×4, sheetrock ×1, ×2, hollow core door, glass?

I don't play with it anymore and that was in shoot houses/rubber rooms. Lol

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would think a bullet that "disintegrates" into copper dust/bits would create a horrible wound. Difficult to clean properly and infection prone.

Of course, bleeding out from internal hemorrhages caused by hydrostatic shock and ripped tissue/vessels from the razor petals of a mushroomed hollowpoint? Probably not fun for those few minutes either.

Oh well, the lesson here: play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Which house has the frangibles and which house has the hollow point solids? Step right up, thug, and take your chances.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Brown tip. I can use my 10.5 and shoot it up. Need to reset the sights anyway. I'm guessing it will tumble out of the 1:9? Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We shoot 350,000ish rounds of it a year for steel primarily. It runs fine, but it's dirty. I've shit it out to 400 easily

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    1/9 twist, if I remember correctly did not keyhole, but gave 34yd groups of 6 to 12”. 1/8 twist was 3-6” groups. 1/7” twist was 1/2”-1”.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,this is why ALL my 5.56X45's are 1:7 and would prefer 6. My 308Wins are 1:10 and would prefer 9. My 300BLK's are all 1:7 and would prefer 6.5. And my 6.8' are 1:10 and 1:11's. Which are fine for the different weapons.
    You cannot over spin a bullet. Faster is better. I have shot 40's out of a 1:7 24" 223Rem and 50's out of a 1:9 22-250. ---- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yeah,this is why ALL my 5.56X45's are 1:7 and would prefer 6. My 308Wins are 1:10 and would prefer 9. My 300BLK's are all 1:7 and would prefer 6.5. And my 6.8' are 1:10 and 1:11's. Which are fine for the different weapons.
    You cannot over spin a bullet. Faster is better. I have shot 40's out of a 1:7 24" 223Rem and 50's out of a 1:9 22-250. ---- SAWMAN

Yep, I thought slower was better for light stuff?? Anyway, how did you do the tiger stripe camo on your single shots?

** Just looked at my 10.5 pistol, it's 1:8.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nothing hi-tech,that's fo sho.
    Went down to a hobby store. Stood in front of the rack of 200 or so colors until the owner thought I was fixing to swipe something.
    Finally just picked several of them small bottles of different colored paint. The kind that you would use to paint small model planes,cars,etc,etc.
    Came home and just started painting on lines and stripes. Used the extremely small brushes that I got from the modelers store.
    Did nothing to the origional stock except clean with alcohol. ---- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nothing hi-tech,that's fo sho.
    Went down to a hobby store. Stood in front of the rack of 200 or so colors until the owner thought I was fixing to swipe something.
    Finally just picked several of them small bottles of different colored paint. The kind that you would use to paint small model planes,cars,etc,etc.
    Came home and just started painting on lines and stripes. Used the extremely small brushes that I got from the modelers store.
    Did nothing to the origional stock except clean with alcohol. ---- SAWMAN

Well ya did some good work! I really dig the tiger, I use it for turkey hunting. I saw a plastic sticker kit that you paint over removing them as you spray.

Jasonb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive hit out to 400 with it too, not on the first try of course. Its unpredictable past 200 IMHO. It is very dirty, and if the polymer tip gets a knick in it or anything it can help induce malfunctions for sure. But I have shot steel at 10 meters (hundreds of rounds) with no fear of getting any splash.

Its rumored that the FBI or some other three letter agency uses it for close quarters type shooting. Supposedly on impact the round makes a hole like a hollow point with the combo of the compressed copper with the semi-jacket. Might be able to find some ballistic testing on YouTube....

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    This is what I got, some look painted on. Got one stuck in the rifle yesterday. Would not seat, had to yank to get the bolt open, it pulled the case off. Light tap with cleaning rod, out it popped.

20200128_172059.jpg

Attachments

• 20200128_172059.jpg
      20200128_172059.jpg
      458 KB · Views: 102

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It was initially developed for military and law enforcement where over-penetration was a concern. We tested it in SWAT many years ago but could not see the point and having a load that would do car doors and windshields was more important. I know that Sky Marshal's tested it but don't believe they are using it as a primary duty round. It still drills a nice hole and if it shatters inside the body the copper jacket becomes a buzz saw. Steel shooters have adapted to it nicely.

Top Bottom