• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looking for an entry-level 1911 maybe Rock Island, ATI, etc. I just want to learn the mechanics of the pistol. I have Glocks and sigs basically polymer guns so I am in the mood for something new. I got $350 and can kick in some ammo and maybe some AR15 parts. Thanks.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I've got a Rock Island GI model, after polishing the feed ramp, it runs, eats everything and shoots accurate too. Also lifetime warrenty that follows the GUN not the owner..... take that, every other 1911 making company!! I just saw a nice one for sale the other day, ill look around 4 ya.
    Please ignore the punisher grips, it's a state law in Alabama.

RIA.jpg

Attachments

• RIA.jpg
      RIA.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 119
    Last edited:

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Rebel - yeah, I saw that and sent that person an email, he never replied so I'm thinking he didn't like what I had to say. War-buff sent me a PM about his ATI...since he is a Forum member, I am leaning his way. As for the Punisher grips, at least it wasn't a "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle" or some other SEC football motto engraved on the grips.

War-Buff - I just replied to your PM.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Rebel - yeah, I saw that and sent that person an email, he never replied so I'm thinking he didn't like what I had to say. War-buff sent me a PM about his ATI...since he is a Forum member, I am leaning his way. As for the Punisher grips, at least it wasn't a "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle" or some other SEC football motto engraved on the grips.

War-Buff - I just replied to your PM.

Sometimes it takes a bit to get a reply. Sometimes it dosent go thru. There was a nice commander one on there too. Dont know much about the ATI ones, the rock is a keeper had it + 15 years.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Still in the market for an entry-level 1911. And those that are fearful that your baby will not go to a good home, I want to let you know that I am

1) A Florida CCW holder, meaning I am a responsible adult (ish), ok sometimes.
    2) I try to go to the range with all my guns at least once a month when my PO (aka my wife) allows me off on good behavior (no hard labor needed around the house).
    3) Clean the guns right after the range trip, that is my "ME Time".
    4) I am willing to sign a bill of sale, Blood and Semen samples can be provided upon the seller's request however there is a 15-20 minute wait for that.

Anyway, that is me. :p

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    $350 1911 may end up frustrating you vs getting you to love the platform. Just saying!

I have what I would consider an entry level 1911. It's the Ruger SR1911.

New they can be had for $600ish if you are lucky. The other ones that are cheaper are a luck of the draw if they will work right out of the box and you may spend more time and energy trying to get it to run right.

1911's are old cars. Sometimes they take a little tinkering. But it takes good parts and good work to make them run right!

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Actually, that is why I want an entry-level 1911, I am a tinkerer. I want to get familiar with the platform and figure it out. I have polymer, steel-framed guns, etc. I just like to figure stuff out. The only platform that I have not had any experience with is the 1911.

$350 1911 may end up frustrating you vs getting you to love the platform. Just saying!

I have what I would consider an entry level 1911. It's the Ruger SR1911.

New they can be had for $600ish if you are lucky. The other ones that are cheaper are a luck of the draw if they will work right out of the box and you may spend more time and energy trying to get it to run right.

1911's are old cars. Sometimes they take a little tinkering. But it takes good parts and good work to make them run right!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If I were in your place I would be looking for a Springfield Armory or a Rock Island Armory. A good shape used gun would be good.
    I consider both a great value for the money. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah, I have been looking for a Rock Island armory, found one on Armslist, but I guess the guy sold it already, he never got back to me. The Springfield Armory is a tad bit out of my range. The Springfields that I have seen used is about $450 to $500 out of my price range right now. Since it will be my introduction to the 1911 platform, I just want something that is a good first-time 1911 shooter / learner. I'm in no hurry, so I can wait until something comes up in my price range.

Thanks to everyone's advice on the matter.

If I were in your place I would be looking for a Springfield Armory or a Rock Island Armory. A good shape used gun would be good.
    I consider both a great value for the money. --- SAWMAN

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You know, no one ever talks about the Taurus 1911 offering. I have been reading up on them, but the biggest complaint with them is that everyone would rather support the Philippines then the Brazilians. They are roughly the same price point of the Rock Island and ATI offerings. Anyone have any information about them here?

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ^^^Good advice by SAWMAN!^^^ Rock Island Armory is a solid choice and will run with ones that cost 3 times their price!

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You know, no one ever talks about the Taurus 1911 offering. I have been reading up on them, but the biggest complaint with them is that everyone would rather support the Philippines then the Brazilians. They are roughly the same price point of the Rock Island and ATI offerings. Anyone have any information about them here?

Only that I cannot bring myself to support Taurus or recommend them due to horrible quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Rebel - you must be my brother from another mother...I have looked at that really hard and contemplated getting it. But the $350 price tag with a "It looks like there might be an internal frame issue as it stove pipes every other shot and half the time the mags won't go in all the way." scares me since I am new to the platform. I was thinking on really low-balling him and offering $200 to see what he says.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Rebel - you must be my brother from another mother...I have looked at that really hard and contemplated getting it. But the $350 price tag with a "It looks like there might be an internal frame issue as it stove pipes every other shot and half the time the mags won't go in all the way." scares me since I am new to the platform. I was thinking on really low-balling him and offering $200 to see what he says.

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. I'll bet one of the 1911 guys on here would know though. Might just need a small weld?

blinddog1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have put roughly 500 rounds a year for the last 5 years thru mine with no problems. It is every bit as accurate and reliable as my series 70 colts and came with all the extra refinements from the factory. For the money you cant go wrong (this is for rvirays post asking about the tauras 1911)

Last edited:

blinddog1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry I thought I was responding to your post asking about the taurus 1911. I have the taurus 1911 homeland model with the lower rail.

Top Bottom