• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Made for those people that feel it is OK to point your loaded pistol at them just to see who they are.
    People like your wife,your children,and your pets.
    Gun owners that preach safety the other half of the day. --- SAWMAN

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Who says your only flashlight has to be mounted on the pistol?

Who says you can't FBI carry a light in your off hand for searching?

How is it "safer" to have only one light source offhand, and nothing hands-free mounted on the weapon?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm not sure how to respond to this thread. Are you for or against a WML? Are you looking for arguements that oppose or support this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    IMG_3943.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3943.PNG
      IMG_3943.PNG
      117.6 KB · Views: 375

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Some people just wanna throw stuff out there and watch the world burn

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    8673211B-6943-4540-B5F0-8967FFCDF4AD.jpeg

Attachments

• 8673211B-6943-4540-B5F0-8967FFCDF4AD.jpeg
      8673211B-6943-4540-B5F0-8967FFCDF4AD.jpeg
      35.9 KB · Views: 361

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Most sorry to the offended parties.
    MOD's . . . please delete this thread at your own discretion. Thanks --- SAWMAN

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Most sorry to the offended parties.
    MOD's . . . please delete this thread at your own discretion. Thanks --- SAWMAN
    What if we could change your mind on the need for one?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would respectfully listen to any and all discussion on the subject.
    Re-reading my OP seems that it could have "shamed " those among us that are subject to pointing a loaded gun at someone/something that they might not necessarily want to/need to shoot.
    Although that is their own choice . . . I am having a hard time trying to understand the "it's ok now . . it's not ok now aspect of their philosophy on SD/HD.
    That's all. Not trying to blow up this forum. ---- SAWMAN

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I wasn't "shamed" or "offended".

As for the gun pointy-clicky-boomy-frowny possibility, well, my favorite military answer:
    "It depends".

On your AO.

My house? WMLs for everyone. People who are authorized to be here know what's going on. People who are authorized to be here and have weapons know what to look for.
    Nothing says I have to walk around with the WML turned on constantly...
    Nothing says I can't search with my offhand light. Serves as an offbody target for some jackass I don't see, and it serves as redundant light source with my WML.

Someone else's house and HD/SD weapon? That's for them to decide. Itchy trigger finger? Scare easily? Tendency for kids to be running around playing games, grabbing midnight snacks with headphones on, or just breaking curfew? Again: your AO, your rules.

Like most things firearms related: be responsible, thoughtful, and respectful for your situation.

Out in public on a CC weapon? Again, your choice. I think a firearm, a knife, and at least one flashlight should be a baseline EDC.

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Let me start by saying I have never been a person paid to carry a gun. Last year we ran a couple low light stages during some indoor matches. Because it was IDPA - no weapon mounted lights allowed (a whole different thread). I also ran one of the Southern Tactical matches with weapon mounted lights. I learned a lot from both experiences. I changed where the light was mounted on my rifle immediately after the night match. I changed my technique totally for using a handheld light with a pistol after the indoor matches. I used the WML on my pistol during the Southern Tactical match and realized that I had not trained near enough to make turning it on automatic when needed. Whatever way you decide to go - I recommend finding a way to practice it. Felt like I got some great tips during those matches from some of our LEO friends.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I'd say one good reason for a WML is it can be that LAST split-second difference between making certain that shadowy figure is not someone you know....and some dummy you do know and don't want to shoot just because your handheld light went out.

Kind of why so many cops have one on their guns...a situation has gone from slightly tense to drawing a firearm...at that point, not only do you want MORE light on your target, it also helps clearly show you what they are doing.

My preference is a green laser and a handheld flashlight, but I can see a benefit to a WML.
    It's still an extra light...albeit attached to a handful of trouble.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Handgun rail mounted light tracks with muzzle - Yes but so does handgun and seperate flashlight technique if you're doing it right. If your at some lower state of Readiness with gun at low ready and waving the light around then you're really not as ready as you should be for what your attempting. There not "locked in" moving in unison and providing the best backlighting for you sighting efforts.

Funny thing about a seperate flashlight and weapon mounted lights: they shed light waves outside the center of the beam into the periphery area. I'm sure that amount varies by design. Anybody going to use a small focused light beam to clear a structure? Not me, i want a broad "flood" beam to illuminate wide areas and since it illuminates wide areas: a low ready carry will allow floor to ceiling light without pointing muzzles at little Suzie who dropped a waterglass in the kitchen. Works the same if your playing peek-a-boo (off-ON-off-ON....). I know, I know; some of you folks want to melt the BGs corneas with that 150K Lums and you still can blind/disorient them when you center the beam on their face.

I'm for rail mounted lights on house guns. I have no reason to chase BG outside at night. I know, I know: What if I had to? Well, then I know they are BGs and I can direct light them and put the muzzle on them too. I recognize the advantages of rail mounted lights for a better two handed grip, mag changes, clearing malfunctions fending off close encounters (weapon retention) and general balance while moving. Some may prefer holding a seperate light away from alignment with the body and shooting one handed, your call.

Let me put this out there too. House or Fire Alarm? Bump in the night? When you have reason to believe you need to clear your house or just gather/secure family in a safer/control area, you already precieve something is wrong or really bad and that locks your "mindset" even though you just woke up fuzzy headed and can't yet confirm what woke you: noise in or outside, viberation, voice, pets, door slam, book fall over, picture fall off the wall, kids doing kid stuff including nightmares, maybe a suprise visit from your kid "at college" or suffering bad romance. You may react or over-react because of what your expecting and possibly not what is actually there. Grab gear first and get a safer position than on the bed. Then pause, listen for secondary "info", "smell" while observing what you can. Get your head clear before moving into an unknown situation. Most of you won't like this: even if you hear screams, don't charge blindly! Move effectively and cautiously, affording yourself control and judgement at every intersection/room because YOU are the only hope of resolving the situation and sacrificing yourself in haste will not change the outcome. You should be "expecting" two variables: family or BGS. If its a flashbang(s) your probably screwed but LE nd Firemen do break in and you could be suffering from carbon monoxide, cut them some slack.

I have small disposable plug-in night lights (can't change the tiny bulbs and I remove shields) in all rooms and hallways. They provide more than enough light to move and see what should and shouldn't be there. This leaves little that needs more direct illumination. YMMV

Here's the real issue: Do we really want to play sneek up surprise with a BG(s) in your home or barn? How about turning on the lights which have good potential to advise BGS to leave (I'd much rather spook them than clean up body fluids and hire a lawyer), then illuminate areas as you advance slow and cautiously. If your first pass through was with flashlight only, it would behoove you to go through it again with all the house lights on.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If someone shows up unannounced in the middle of the night at my place , The chances are good that they’ll have a muzzle pointed at them with or without a weapon mounted light !

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    SAWMAN never stirs the pot, he just puts in on the burner. Then he watches someone turn up the heat. As in this case, it has turned into a very informative discussion. He may be abrupt sometimes, or has a motive that isn't always clear. Clarity comes with sharing experience and some of us learn something in the process.
    When challenged we have to think, and he's good at doing that. Especially when he's bored.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SAWMAN never stirs the pot, he just puts in on the burner. Then he watches someone turn up the heat. As in this case, it has turned into a very informative discussion. He may be abrupt sometimes, or has a motive that isn't always clear. Clarity comes with sharing experience and some of us learn something in the process.
    When challenged we have to think, and he's good at doing that. Especially when he's bored.

Good call Jerry. I've learned a lot from Sawman, and I've never met him. I'm sure he's not right all the time (none of us are) but he's hit more home-runs than foul balls in my opinion. Everybody that posts here at one time or another has been helpful to me. As far as this thread goes I really hadn't given much thought to lights on a gun but after following this I think I'll do a little thinking about them.

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'll add a couple of quick points here. But first let me say that even though I'm all for WMLs I still carry a pocket flashlight with me. It has been mentioned if using your handheld correctly it still points where your muzzle is when needed and locked in place but thinking about what most of us are likely to encounter that would cause us to need a weapon and light in the first place. I'm sure I'm not the only one with interior doors in my house and small children that need to be corralled. If anyone has tried it, it is way easier to open doors, grab your child, turn on light switches, etc. with one hand free more than a gun in one and light in the other. I know if I'm grabbing my handgun then I'm not putting it down but I don't want to put down my light source either... So, having a light on my handgun allows me to do both tasks and remain ready if needed. Again, I also carry a handheld out and about because it gets used way more than a weapon light. But at home I'm grabbing my handgun with light attached.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I initially closed this, but upon thinking it over decided to reopen it with a question for the OP.
    Could you please tell the group your experience and training with running lights on pistols in a CQB or defensive type environment?

Top Bottom