• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    . . . . . "with running lights on pistols in a CQB or defensive type environment?" ----> NONE
    No expierance shooting in a darkened,controlled environment "shoot room" either. No instructor courses taught by an instructor that have never,EVER,seen real combat either. (Real combat ='s when you are shooting at a real human and a real human is shooting back at you in a non controlled environment.)
    I retired from the military over 30 years ago. However in today's civilian environment it does not take a well trained individual to figure out . . . good guy or bad guy,if you want to kill your adversary,in a darkened environment,shoot at the light. Not a couple feet to the right of it,left of it,or above,or below it. Directly at the light.
    Again . . . I would never think someone stupid or unintelligent for training with a WML. How you fight is up to you. At this point I am not even really trying to understand and/or see what I am missing anymore. I believe that I have finally realized . . . nothing. (But I tried.) ---- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    . . . . . "with running lights on pistols in a CQB or defensive type environment?" ----> NONE
    No expierance shooting in a darkened,controlled environment "shoot room" either. No instructor courses taught by an instructor that have never,EVER,seen real combat either. (Real combat ='s when you are shooting at a real human and a real human is shooting back at you in a non controlled environment.)
    I retired from the military over 30 years ago. However in today's civilian environment it does not take a well trained individual to figure out . . . good guy or bad guy,if you want to kill your adversary,in a darkened environment,shoot at the light. Not a couple feet to the right of it,left of it,or above,or below it. Directly at the light.
    Again . . . I would never think someone stupid or unintelligent for training with a WML. How you fight is up to you. At this point I am not even really trying to understand and/or see what I am missing anymore. I believe that I have finally realized . . . nothing. (But I tried.) ---- SAWMAN

So you have zero experience or training and zero desire to gain any experience or training, yet you feel it's necessary to pop off with uninformed comments deriding both people and a skill you admittedly know nothing about. It seems a lot like news station talking heads and politicians who go on TV and talk about ghost guns and 30 clip magazines.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    so shooting at a light coming from someone in your home uninvited is not done? I would think the light is a target for a bad/good guy, just thinking out loud here. I have never added a light to a carry or home defense weapon as I did not want to be a target. I do have lights on in the home that backlight folks coming at me in the bedroom though

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    so shooting at a light coming from someone in your home uninvited is not done? I would think the light is a target for a bad/good guy, just thinking out loud here. I have never added a light to a carry or home defense weapon as I did not want to be a target. I do have lights on in the home that backlight folks coming at me in the bedroom though

Any reputable instructor I know of that teaches low light classes teaches to use a light switch first if possible. It's not always possible. A good technique is to not just turn the weapon mounted light on and walk around. Sights are a personal preference but most people I know including myself that teach low light also don't use "night sights"; we've simply found they aren't needed and are an unnecessary cost given the small 30-45 minute window in the day when they are actually useful. If you can't see your sights, you can't positively ID your target and if you can see your sights you can see your target. A WML back splash is more than enough light to make your sights usable. No one with any sense teaches to not have a hand held light available. They also teach techniques that make it possible to light a room with a WML and not point the light(muzzle) at anyone unless it's needed. We don't always get to choose our environment so IMO poo poo WMLs is silly. I teach both WML and hand held light shooting techniques because some guns can't mount a light. After a lot of years of teaching I can without a doubt say that WML guns are easier to shoot accurately at any distance. Hand held light techniques compromise the grip too much. They were great through the 90s when they were the only option. For perspective on my experience with shooting low light I started shooting with lights when police still carried 6 D cell maglites and carried S&W 4" 357s.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    WML's are nothing more than a tool, they can be beneficial or a hazard depending on their use and application.

You don't need to point your light directly at someone to get an ID... there is this thing called cast off or halo. You don't need to turn a light "on" and leave it on to ID someone. You don't need to stand in one spot while you work a WML.

I have a lot of time under my belt using WML's on pistols and long guns in real-world tactical situations and I'm comfortable with their use, including being used by others with me when used correctly.

OP I'd consider a low light class... lots of fun and just might open you up to the idea.

Again, just a tool that can be used or misused.

bpreston

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you use a bright enough light, you don’t always have to have it pointed forward to illuminate a room. In my house, up is a safe direction, and so is down. Either will allow me to effectively see the majority of the room. When using your light, I would also say it’s a pretty poor idea to just turn it on and leave it on the whole time you’re clearing/looking around. Manage the light effectively. On when you need it off when you don’t. Also, you can’t shoot what you can’t see, so that means you either need a handheld or a weapon mounted light. I just so happen to shoot better/faster/more accurately when I’m holding the gun with both hands. You can also manage your light with your strong hand and still have one hand to complete other tasks with (open doors, push people out of the way, etc). Also, contrary to popular belief, you can shoot well without having spent a career in the military or by being a cop and carrying a gun every day. But what do I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I liked Sawman's question. I had not considered that a light centers to aim with a weapons line of impact could be pointing a gun at someone. none of my handguns have a light, but maybe the house pistol could use one.
    I do have one on a shotgun that is meant to shoot predators. A light is very good for catching the eyes at night and I can hit much better with a full stocked shotgun when it is shouldered because it points better than I can with a pistol under similar conditions. I do not think lights are practical for concealed carry due size and shape of such equipped guns.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    personally, I would rather have a laser on a handgun, and use a flashlight with the off hand...or house lights :boxing: but I do have a couple lights on long guns, shotgun has flashlight mounted, and a .30cal carbine

each to his own

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    i for sure am for a light on your gun. my tlr1s is plenty bright and doesn't need to be pointed at anyone. point it at the ceiling, whole room is lit. point it at the floor and it casts quite a bit of splash. better to have one and not need it... JM2c.

Evil_McNasty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have carried a weapon for a living. For searching a building in the dark, and with the reasonable suspicion that a bad guy is in there, a pistol light is the right tool.

If someone is questioning the efficacy of a pistol light, then they would look silly having one on a rifle.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OP brought up an important Issue as his opinion, I've don't have a problem with that. I'm glad this Thread was restored as there is good interest, varied and strong opinions; similar to many firearm topics.

For those that use a seperate flashlight: consider using a short lanyard/wrist strap that will secure it to your support wrist for obvious advantages.

Danwin22

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For home security I like two spotlights mounted on a plastic jamb box, operated by a remote from a fan.

Place the lights atop a cabinet with one light pointing at the front door and the other at another door.

You can remain in the dark while suddenly blinding your intruder and he will have no idea of where you are.

For other situations I prefer an off-hand flashlight. A light on a handgun makes me a target.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For home security I like two spotlights mounted on a plastic jamb box, operated by a remote from a fan.

Place the lights atop a cabinet with one light pointing at the front door and the other at another door.

You can remain in the dark while suddenly blinding your intruder and he will have no idea of where you are.

For other situations I prefer an off-hand flashlight. A light on a handgun makes me a target.

Many of us worry about making ourselves a target. There is a difference between an LEO on the job and joe blow civilian. We have no obligation to protect. We can hide, run away, shoot an armed intruder without warning. We have no obligation to search or clear a structure. I think having a light as a piece of equipment for optional use is important.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This has been a most informative thread. I wanted to do a little experimenting but I don't have a light to fit a pistol but I do have a light that'll fit my carbine, that's what I played around with. It seemed to me to be far more useful than the laser I have on my Walther. I think the "makes you a target" line of thought is offset by the bright light shining into the bad guys eyes. It boils down to personal preference. I think I'm going to put a light on my home pistol.

Top Bottom