DK Firearms

Glock slide destroyed by a lot of shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did not think this was possible

Has this happened to anyone’s Glock?
    factory slide. Only about 50,000 rounds through the gun. But easily 4 times that in trigger pulls with all the dryfire I do. I have glocks with double the amount of ammo through them and have no problems. Anyways, slide is obviously done, ordered a supermatch slide from the SI store to replace it. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. It’s certainly a first for me.

attachment.php

Seen it abut a half dozen times with various pistols: G. Suarez

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who the hell would want a pistol that only lasted 50,000 fired rounds and 200,000 dry fire practice shots? Some folks dry fire more than that in a 3 day weekend. I think everyone should sell me their Glock pistols before they wear out. :wink:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I showed up above is an extreme case. But what is needed is some sort of maintenance and replacement schedule. Many do routinely replace basic springs in semiauto pistols every 5000 rounds.
    For the glock armorers does glock have an official schedule for parts replacement.
    The same forum where I obtained that picture says they will come up with a schedule, lol they just happen to sell glock parts.
    I tend shoot some plus p and also plus p plus and that likely wears a gun a little faster.

An older strategy was to have two identical pistols. One for training with and the other for carry that is shot very little.
    Here is somebodies recommendation.
    from http://preparedgunowners.com/2015/0...maintenance-and-scheduled-parts-replacements/
    Here it is with approximate suggested round counts for when to replace these parts:

1. Recoil Spring Assembly: 3,000-4,000 rounds (Gen 1-3). 5,000-7,500 rounds (Glock Gen 4)

2. Firing Pin Spring (striker): 15,000 rounds

3. Firing Pin Safety Spring: 15,000 rounds

4. Extractor Depressor Plunger Spring: 15,000 rounds

5. Magazine Catch Spring: 15,000 rounds

6. Standard Trigger Spring: 15,000 rounds

7. Slide Lock Spring: 15,000 rounds

8. Slide Stop Lever Spring (attached to slide stop lever): 15,000 rounds

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can’t get picture to load. What part broke? Factory slide? Any machine work done to it?

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL

The part of the slide where the firing pin hole is and also the extractor claw protrudes punched out and forward in a piece about the diameter of a small coin. Essentially the breech face. No machining in that area of the slide is likely after having left the factory. Basically metal fatigue.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They will if it’s not functioning correctly, but won’t replace parts based on round count alone. Recoil springs are the main thing that wear-out, like in any other gun, and that is end-user replaceable with just a field strip. Personally I’d rather just replace parts myself as they wear out vs sending it to Glock. I managed to break a trigger spring in a Gen3 .40, likely from the higher round count, but other than that, the only factory parts I’ve ever NEEDED to replace due to age/wear are recoil springs.

The Gen3 and prior wore out much quicker than the newer Gen4 & 5 dual spring. In my Gen3 .40, I was replacing the recoil spring as early as 2500 rounds. Now in the 9mm Gen4 it has been at least quadruple that. The Gen3 .40s were a pain in general due to the round design and added recoil.

A basic function check will tell you if you actually need to replace anything. And if you get repeated malfunctions.

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL

For the .40 and .357 gen 3 guns, any merit to using some of the heavier after market recoil springs. I do have a Gen 3 G33 for example.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Question - - -> How many rds do you plan on putting thru your 33 ?? How many rds have been put thru it up 'till now ?? --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Question - - -> How many rds do you plan on putting thru your 33 ?? How many rds have been put thru it up 'till now ?? --- SAWMAN
    Hard to answer because I have set it up to shoot .22 lr, 9mm, and 40. I am using a G19 for the moment, but may go back to it in the future.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is some more on glocks slides. G. Suarez thinks the contours of the firing pin along with firing pin hole in slide breech face along with it surface hardening is what causes firing pin tips to chip.

If you look at the front part of the pin...just behind the chisel looking thing, is a round blunt surface. That design is what tends to break pin tips off as we saw with J Nobody's pin (the one that drove us to make our own not out of MIM but forged steel). Think of that battering ram on Vikings being the pin and the rear internal breechface the door to the castle. MIM pin and surface hardened slide...and well...eventually...

Diamonds maybe...but Glocks are not forever.

911444.jpg

Product Overview
    Glock products

This replacement part is a factory original from Glock. Factory replacement parts are manufactured to the exact same specifications and tolerances and use the same manufacturing materials as the original parts which guarantees excellent fit and reliable operation. Some parts may need to be installed by a qualified gunsmith. Fits Glock Generation 1-4.

Top Bottom