• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    deciding on on getting an AR in chambered in the 7.62X39. I thoughts? Likes dislikes? I have read the Mags can and can not me reliable at the same time? Any experience with these?

Last edited:

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've have also heard that the mags for those platforms can be problematic. What is your budget? CMMG, I think, makes an AR that fires 7.62x39 but it takes AK mags. I think they go for about $1,000, but I could be wrong. That is the route I would go. Just a thought.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I built a PSA pistol. After chasing bugs, I got it working reliably. Mags that worked- ASC and believe it or not the promag ones. You can load 5-10 in a 20rd mag and that worked too. Enhanced firing pin required. H2 buffer. Flaming pig brake to make more gas pressure (8.5 inch barrel) ALL PSA parts. In a do over AR47 would be my choice. Check out PSA.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mags are the weak link. They've gotten better but I wouldn't trust them for anything important. I got a cheap radical upper that kicked pretty good as a DI. Put an Adam's arms piston on it and shoot it suppressed. It's a decent shooter now. I'd look at the AR47 or Mutant if I had it to do over again.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    hummm, good information. If you get the entire rifle, not just the upper, I presume their working together and not needing enhanced anything? anyone else have some experience with these?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I just got the upper 10.5" and it went on a pistol lower, was shipped with an enhanced firing pin which you need. could have gone 16" barrel too. Sanders moved to FL and always great to deal with, I always call before I order to get the handguard I want and enhanced firing pin

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Bought a Model 1 Sales 10.5" 7.62x39 upper several years ago. Came with an enhanced firing pin. At the 919th round fired, part of the front of the bolt broke off. Replaced the bolt with one from AIM. 470 rounds now fired with the AIM bolt with no breakage. Bbl is plain 4140 steel; no chrome lining; no nitride coating, but then I don't get it real hot anyway before letting it cool. In the total of 1389 rounds fired (all berdan steel case stuff of various makes), I've only had 1 round fail to fire, and that round still failed to fire after multiple tries.

Had some earlier C Products 30rd mags. Rounds would hang up around the curve of the mag. C Products developed some heavier mag springs, and they sent me one for each mag at no charge. No further hangups with the stronger springs. No problems with C Products 5 and 10 round 7.62x39 mags.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have two at the moment in 7.62x39. Once I added H3 wt buffers the magazine feeding problem resolved itself for all of the mags that I used. A slower moving bolt is usually a better feeding bolt and I think stress on the extractors will be less. The real issues are more recoil and failure to fire that is cured by an elongated firing pin and stronger hammer spring that increases trigger pull wt.
    The 300 blkout and 7.62x39 do not lose so much in a short barrel relative ro the 5.56 that really needs its full velocity to make those devastating wounds.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Worth a look, Sig 556XI Russian. Not mine but I'm a Sig 556 fan. Lol
    https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?55303&p=475458#post475458

Nice weapon, but, not looking to spend that much

Not interested in the pistol option, didnt think to look in alabama... thanks

BOOM! this is what I was looking for THANKS!! message sent!

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I have had a pistol to start with (concussion grenade with a pistol grip), swapped it to a carbine 18" heavy barrel, liked it a lot better, and bought a 16" PSA upper , fun too. But like said under load the mags for better reliability, and Just understand its a range gun not a battle rifle.

Top Bottom