• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    may just get another AK. I find myself losing interest in this.... I'll keep my eyes open, bit I dont want to spend money on somethign that not reliable...

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'll get one sooner or later, but I don't think I'll go out of my way and pay high dollar.... Favorite shooter is a AK anyways... good info here, learned what I was looking to learn...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    RR69, what is the LOP of your gun pictured . . . 15 inches ??
    Looks waaaaay too long unless your knuckles drag the ground. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll get one sooner or later, but I don't think I'll go out of my way and pay high dollar.... Favorite shooter is a AK anyways... good info here, learned what I was looking to learn...

I have AKs and switching to the AR system is motivated by the greater versatility of the system relative to it being modular and anyone can gunsmith them easily relative to switch barrels and such. The AK is a harder system to fix if there is something wrong with it from the factory and that is the case for many usa made AKs. My AKs were made in foreign arsenals and are good to go. But they are no longer $200-300. They will not easily shoot real tight groups. But I have a lot of AK ammo on hand and I happen to like the round, so the AR in that same chambering makes sense. But you have to work a bit to get it to run right. If you use 5.56 or 300 blk out things will be easier. I can put a functional AR together for less than 500 and then one needs to add the optics. There are no new AKs out there for $500 that I would trust. Plus if you are scrounger one can get a lower with no official connection to you.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Bottom line, if you have patience and some parts, you can get it to run right. My pistol, for whatever reason needed more gas. Also the weapon is only as reliable as the mags are. Plus its alot of fun tinkering with a home build. When ya kill the bugs you feel very good about it. Oh, wait no there not, send em!

Last edited:

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have AKs and switching to the AR system is motivated by the greater versatility of the system relative to it being modular and anyone can gunsmith them easily relative to switch barrels and such. The AK is a harder system to fix if there is something wrong with it from the factory and that is the case for many usa made AKs. My AKs were made in foreign arsenals and are good to go. But they are no longer $200-300. They will not easily shoot real tight groups. But I have a lot of AK ammo on hand and I happen to like the round, so the AR in that same chambering makes sense. But you have to work a bit to get it to run right. If you use 5.56 or 300 blk out things will be easier. I can put a functional AR together for less than 500 and then one needs to add the optics. There are no new AKs out there for $500 that I would trust. Plus if you are scrounger one can get a lower with no official connection to you.

Money is always something to reason into the thought process, but I am in the frame if mind, that you get what you pay for. In Guns, Homes,Cars, what ever. Buy smart, buy quality and reliability, buy once. Why switch from AK's to the AR's? I have both and will keep both. I enjoy both, and they all work.....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Money is always something to reason into the thought process, but I am in the frame if mind, that you get what you pay for. In Guns, Homes,Cars, what ever. Buy smart, buy quality and reliability, buy once. Why switch from AK's to the AR's? I have both and will keep both. I enjoy both, and they all work.....
    You get what you pay for if you deal wisely. Just because you pay a lot does not mean you will be happy. There is a balance between something that will not function because it is just too cheap and making the best deal.
    For the AKs the AK operators Union is a good source for reviews on the durability of the various AKs. Strange I have not noticed them recently on youtube.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You get what you pay for if you deal wisely. Just because you pay a lot does not mean you will be happy. There is a balance between something that will not function because it is just too cheap and making the best deal.
    For the AKs the AK operators Union is a good source for reviews on the durability of the various AKs. Strange I have not noticed them recently on youtube.
    agree, I've on that form for a while, don't post much, but alot of knowledge there.....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like those side chargers from the place frank got his. Tempted big time.
    I like being as stock and ambidextrous as possible. I have not been in the AR game long enough to see the need for a side charger.
    If I put a side charger on one gun, then I need to set up all of them the same way.

Top Bottom