APOD Firearms

How to properly dispose of unwanted firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before we begin, if you are not going to add to this conversation in a meaningful way, please move along. This is a real question, and I am looking for real answers.

I have a rifle that is no good. It went through Ivan in a friends garage, and it's life is over. Long story short, it's been in my closet for years, and it's time to go.

How can I properly dispose of said firearm?

There are no usable parts on it, so please, don't ask.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You can surrender it to the local sheriff's department and they'll destroy it for you. It's then logged as a destroyed weapon via serial number with the batfe. Or you could cut it up with a grinder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take it to a shop that has a cutting torch, most auto repair, machine and muffler shops have one . Have them cut the receiver into three pieces , the barrel in two pieces and throw it in the scrap pile. At that point in time it’s just scrap metal.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ^^^^^

you probably want to destroy the receiver first like mentioned above...prior to cutting the barrel and making an unintentional SBR.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    After my house fire, I took the unsalvageable firearms to the Escambia Co Sheriff Dept. In turn, it appears they gave serial numbers to the ATF. In turn, it appears ATF tried to trace some of the modern ones, as Uber's called and told me ATF contacted them and wanted to know who they were sold to (me), and that was the end of that. I had called ahead to the Sheriff's Dept to make arrangements and where to meet; no hassle from the Sheriff's Dept...they just wrote down models and serial numbers as I read off that ones that could be seen. The bolt assemblies that had been removed and safely stored elsewhere were given to people that could use them as spare parts...in retrospect, I should have kept them, as years later some of the firearms were replaced by the insurance money, and I could of had my own spare parts.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    depending on what it is, you could turn it into a wall piece, I have an old flint lock here that has patina from hell on it. Rusted to the point its useless, but I have to admit, looks awesome and a CONVO starter propped up in the corner of the fireplace.... I just wiped mine down really good to get all the loose dust and dirt, rust off. heres a pic...

Attachments

• 0111200947a.jpg
      0111200947a.jpg
      355.4 KB · Views: 358

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What everyone else said. But if it was me like realtor said, turn it into something else. There is some really cool firearm furniture out there. Old guns can make awesome lamps. If your crafty enough and think outside the box gun furniture rocks.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My only experience surrendering a firearm was years ago. I'd just moved into a house and while going through the attic I found an old single shot 12g that had been cut way down. Likely left by a previous tenant. It was not something I wanted to deal with, and considering I had other options for home defense, I called the SO and explained what I had. They said to bring it in and they'd take care of it. I did just that. Very few questions were asked and there was no hassle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    7E65567B-ED1E-4854-AFF1-E98110623DFF.jpeg
    CB450565-118D-489B-99CC-7230B84B5F78.jpeg
    E5501202-005F-44C3-A83D-BC2128104FF9.jpeg

Attachments

• 7E65567B-ED1E-4854-AFF1-E98110623DFF.jpeg
      7E65567B-ED1E-4854-AFF1-E98110623DFF.jpeg
      38.7 KB · Views: 365
    • CB450565-118D-489B-99CC-7230B84B5F78.jpeg
      CB450565-118D-489B-99CC-7230B84B5F78.jpeg
      32.6 KB · Views: 362
    • E5501202-005F-44C3-A83D-BC2128104FF9.jpeg
      E5501202-005F-44C3-A83D-BC2128104FF9.jpeg
      35.9 KB · Views: 382

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No LEO would ever get their hands on a "firearm" from me.
    It does not need to be cut. Know someone with a press ?? One of those stand up 30t+ presses. Just bend it and squash it.
    IMO . . . renders it unusable and into a piece of scrap. --- SAWMAN

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Honestly, in your situation, I'd bury it somewhere respectful on my property. I'd include a ziploc bag containing a cafeully folded piece of aluminum foil as a note. That note would be written with a ballpoint pen on a piece of paper, over a piece of aluminum foil, over another piece of paper (so the impression is made in the foil without tearing it). The note might read something like this:

"This firearm was rendered inoperable by Mother Nature during Hurricane Ivan. It is only a man-made tool, but it is a symbol of Freedom. It doesn't deserve to be dismembered and thrown in the trash at the end of its useful life, so I choose to bury it. Let Mother Nature finish her process in her own time."

Obviously, I don't agree with destroying a gun, even an "unusable" one. Since it's your property, you can do with it as you please.

Other options:
    -make it a wall-hanger display piece
    -sell it for a penny on the forum to someone who might want it
    -sell it for whatever you can get and donate 100% of the money to something you consider Patriotic
    -turn it into a lamp
    -if it absolutely needs to leave your property, take it on a boating outing, and baton twirler with it until you drop it into the Gulf. Then, one day, you can pass a lie-detector test when you say, "I lost my gun in a boating accident."

Best wishes.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Honestly, in your situation, I'd bury it somewhere respectful on my property. I'd include a ziploc bag containing a cafeully folded piece of aluminum foil as a note. That note would be written with a ballpoint pen on a piece of paper, over a piece of aluminum foil, over another piece of paper (so the impression is made in the foil without tearing it). The note might read something like this:

"This firearm was rendered inoperable by Mother Nature during Hurricane Ivan. It is only a man-made tool, but it is a symbol of Freedom. It doesn't deserve to be dismembered and thrown in the trash at the end of its useful life, so I choose to bury it. Let Mother Nature finish her process in her own time."

Obviously, I don't agree with destroying a gun, even an "unusable" one. Since it's your property, you can do with it as you please.

Other options:
    -make it a wall-hanger display piece
    -sell it for a penny on the forum to someone who might want it
    -sell it for whatever you can get and donate 100% of the money to something you consider Patriotic
    -turn it into a lamp
    -if it absolutely needs to leave your property, take it on a boating outing, and baton twirler with it until you drop it into the Gulf. Then, one day, you can pass a lie-detector test when you say, "I lost my gun in a boating accident."

Best wishes.

yeah. pot a picture of it. I may dust it off and put it on the wall.... (I have an awesome wife....., I even have shark jaws, and a 7 Ft mounted BullShark......)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 3-4 dollar carborundum blade on a skill saw will cut a firearm receiver or other metal parts, but not good for plastic. I would not turn it in since the firearm is traced. I have nothing to hide, but I just do not like attention.

61ZDTPTCfuL.jpg

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before we begin, if you are not going to add to this conversation in a meaningful way, please move along. This is a real question, and I am looking for real answers.

I have a rifle that is no good. It went through Ivan in a friends garage, and it's life is over. Long story short, it's been in my closet for years, and it's time to go.

How can I properly dispose of said firearm?

There are no usable parts on it, so please, don't ask.

I have an acetylene torch if you live close to Crestview.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lots of great ideas here....but for years on this forum I keep reading about “boating accidents”...just got me thinking, that’s all. Good luck with whichever form you choose/use.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Boating accidents aren't all they are cracked up to be...I hate that I lost that Marlin 1985 Micro Grove wo/hammer block safety....a 4-wheeler isn't a boat...but hey I saved the 4-wheeler and my azz...don't really need that 4-wheeler:decision:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Boating accidents aren't all they are cracked up to be...I hate that I lost that Marlin 1985 Micro Grove wo/hammer block safety....a 4-wheeler isn't a boat...but hey I saved the 4-wheeler and my azz...don't really need that 4-wheeler:decision:

I feel there's more to this story you should share!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    we were dogging hogs that morning...mid morning there was a flash flood....we had to go way around and cross a pond dam to get to the guys and dogs on the other side. There was a fella on the back of my 4-wheeler with me. There was a small portion of the dam (low end) where the water was crossing and what wasn't crossing was eddying at the dam. When the rear 4-wheeler wheels started cavitating the fella (couldn't swim) jumped off the back. When he did the one wheel touched the dam and catapulted the 4-wheeler off the dam and into the eddying water. I fanned the throttle bobbing like a cork and was trying to get the front end down when it went over backwards. The rifle was in the rack unstrapped on the front of the 4-wheeler. The 4-wheeler and I with a 30# backpack with leads and cut gear were separated in the eddying water. The 4-wheeler was floating wheels up...I had sunk to my eyes...when I saw the spiders walking on top of the water in front of my eyes..FOXTROT... kicked in...I grabbed the 4-wheeler and swam us to shore. When I was able to stand I turned the 4-wheeler upright and the rifle was gone. I tried to fire the 4-wheeler off when we got it on shore and it locked down.

Got it home...removed the spark plug and expelled the water...cleaned the air box...changed the oils..it fired off and has run fine since. When I was allowed back on the property I drug the bottom with a 20# magnet for a day and a half to no avail. we even slid barefoot in the silt trying to find it. I think they got my rifle out before they let us come back to look.

Life is good!

Top Bottom