APOD Firearms

What's a good holster for handgun hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've been using a nylon(bleh!) Bandoleer type. Vertical under left arm, bottom velcro to belt. 6 inch. Using 4 5/8 pistol. Seems like its ok but was wondering what yall use? Tks.

Last edited:

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a DiamondDcustom made in Alaska for my Desert Eagle 44. This holster is great, as heavy and big as this gun is you don't even know you have it on. The set up is the guide style were the gun is in front just high of my belly, totally out of the way and comfortable. (cons) they are a little pricey and if not in stock they take 8 to 12 weeks for delivery. But to me worth the wait and price.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I have a DiamondDcustom made in Alaska for my Desert Eagle 44. This holster is great, as heavy and big as this gun is you don't even know you have it on. The set up is the guide style were the gun is in front just high of my belly, totally out of the way and comfortable. (cons) they are a little pricey and if not in stock they take 8 to 12 weeks for delivery. But to me worth the wait and price.

That's nice. Thanks. Heres my build. Not getting it but it was fun to build.
    Using ladder stands too, I like the idea of a flap covering the weapon.

Screenshot_20200110-060513_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200110-060513_Samsung Internet.jpg
      Screenshot_20200110-060513_Samsung Internet.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 266
    Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    YMMV depending on type/configuration of handgun (larger framed revolver w/scope or naked 10mm Glock). Upper Torso rigs provide several advantages including weight disrtibution, less snag opportunity, protects gun better, sitting comfort with long barrel, proximity emergency access (picture bad critter on you and requirement to protect neck/face). Chest rigs work better than shoulder rigs when using back/meat packs and avoids strap/gun overlap or poor pack strap position (to avoid gun/holster). Don't forget your reload(s) and quick access to them too! You may want to address exposed handgun shinny/reflective finishes, simply tape over these spots.

Climate concerns. Heavy cold weather clothing may obstruct belt mounted holster/handgun access but support quick changes in layers of clothing. Torso rigs normally require more time to readjust fit when adding/removing thick layers of clothing. "Outer" gun belts adjust easily, Mil web gear type belts take a few minutes and may require shuffling of other mounted gear. Loose rigs may slap/chaff/bounce around.

I think the above info applies equally for stalking or in a blind/tree stand IME.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've got a thigh rig but dont really like it. Again, nylon bleh! I have a m12 tanker rig but it doesn't fit well in in.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    DiamondDcustom - same as the one Fathertime has. It was made for a Freedom Arms 7 inch single action in 41 mag, but I can force 44-40, 45 Colt, and 44 mag ammo in the loops.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Been trying to piece meal something together from my holster pile, nothing good yet. I did find my military S&W revolver holster though. I'll put on the sale page later.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Found my western holster. Bianchi #1873. It's an inch or so too long but the revolver fits well. I'll try it and see. (Hip) BTW the belt is way too small, must have shrunk in the last 29 years......

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I lke leather but if your exposing the rig to wet environments its bad. Nylon is the way to go: easy cleanup, drying and back in service. People may have backup leather holsters for CC duty but that really dosen't happen with hunting rigs. If leather gets soaked or even deep cleaned and treated you still need drying time. A dry surface does not necessarily mean the leather is dry at depth/sub-layers, I don't want to put a gun in a damp holster day after day while hunting. Formed leather can also lose its shape, I've had to wrap guns in plastic wrap, shove it in a holster wet holster attempting to get it back in "shape". Many leather holsters now have internal metal support/reinforcement: what hppens to wet metal?

Its been a long time since I shopped "hunting chest rig handgun holsters", put that in google image search: wow!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yeah, there's a pile of em. Even kydex. Good idea about the plastic wrap. Just did it as I had to treat the leather to get it soft again. I'll run this hip holster and try it. Found a pacmire grip from the .357 and it fits. Much better.

20200113_084411.jpg

Attachments

• 20200113_084411.jpg
      20200113_084411.jpg
      591.4 KB · Views: 239
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom