DK Firearms

I've been tinkering with a lightweight AR pistol build.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Trying to get the weight down to under 4lbs w/ mag unloaded. 10.5 inch barrel. With small cheap red dot. Full rail.

Did you know - Some buffer tubes are 1 oz lighter? GI mags are the lightest.(30 rd). I would have thought the poly ones were lighter. GI grip is the lightest so far.

Still trying to build it without buying the super light parts. Using standard parts. An oz here an oz there adds up.

As soon as I can weigh it I'll post a pic.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hogue 15* grip is a full once lighter than G.I one. I’m in the process of putting a AR-15 M4 style rifle together myself...I’m going to modify a G.I grip to see if I can shave an once off of it. Will post when it all comes together.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    <4lbs will be a REAL challenge with mag (20rd ??).
    If you succeed,you will have more money invested than you though possible.
    And of course . . THEN . . it will be yours for life.
    Good luck. ---- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Hogue 15* grip is a full once lighter than G.I one. I’m in the process of putting a AR-15 M4 style rifle together myself...I’m going to modify a G.I grip to see if I can shave an once off of it. Will post when it all comes together.

Thanks for the info on that grip. I think I'm going to use the 20 rd mag. Not going to buy any of the high dollar parts. Poly upper and lower might be an idea Using the slick upper, not really GI but not a custom part.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    For my lower I’m using a New Frontier Armory polymer lower...it was something I had lying around since the gun meltdown of the Obama Years. Has standard stuff plus a MFT Battlelink minimalist stock. Here’s a good link to a AR-15 lite part database...you can go crazy with $$$ trying to achieve your goal. Currently my complete lower weighs in at 1lb 10oz.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I6Qb6kAJjChEJ56qhznv2291c5UHRDyNXuSXGObumqM/htmlview#

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    For my lower I’m using a New Frontier Armory polymer lower...it was something I had lying around since the gun meltdown of the Obama Years. Has standard stuff plus a MFT Battlelink minimalist stock. Here’s a good link to a AR-15 lite part database...you can go crazy with $$$ trying to achieve your goal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I6Qb6kAJjChEJ56qhznv2291c5UHRDyNXuSXGObumqM/htmlview#

What's the weight on the poly lower vs a standard? Thanks for the link.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I owned one of these for awhile. Got it from a friend at Bushmaster in approx. 1994.
    Mostly all carbon fiber. Upper,lower,hammer,trigger,buffer tube,stock,etc,etc.
    IIRC was just under 4lbs.
    Stock came off with throw lever. Scope base (standard 1913 pic) moulded into upper. Weird muzzle device. Compress locking collar and it would pull right off. Used standard mags. No such thing as a 5 shot back then . . . so I built my own. I showed mine to Bushmaster and it pushed them into R&D for a lower cap mag.
    They came out with a 9 shot. First mag of less than 20 that I can remember.
    Finally a 5 from them but with a long plastic spacer. Looked like shit. Spacer unscrewed with two #2 Phillip's. I used them,to make my 5's. Eventually screwing two end to end for hunting. Just pulled it out and inserted the other end for 5 more shots. Legal for deer because two different mags of only 5. ---- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 17424.jpg
      17424.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 203

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What's the weight on the poly lower vs a standard? Thanks for the link.

New Frontier Armory poly lower is 4.5 oz
    Spikes standard A2 lower is 8.6 oz

So you’re looking at about 4 oz difference give or take. Used a spikes because that’s what I have as an extra lower.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Just pulled it apart AGAIN.
    PSA lower stock with push button safety - 15.7 oz /
    Omni hybrid lower w/ poly hammer,trigger - 9.8oz

This is the stock weight with grip, and all parts ready to shoot.

Dont think there would be any weight savings switching to the poly upper due to the FA and mud flap is on it.

Charging handle is a strike ind with internal spring loaded keeper(no trigger)

Still cant weigh it. Tried standing on bathroom scale, then picking up rifle. Showed 4lbs more holding the rifle.
    Dont believe it though.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I could ditch the cheap red dot and go flip ups but I like the dot. I could install a seeall sight but have to add the riser and then would be close to the same weight or use the bushnel trs-25 there again have to install riser. Dont know

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Sights

Cheap pinty red dot. 5.5oz
    Trs25 w/riser 6oz (per internet)
    Seeall w/riser 3.3oz
    Mbus poly flips 2.4

Put the mbus on the pistol.

If I can find my barrel thread protector I can knock off 3 more oz.
    Man this thing is light.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Pix. Still cant weigh it. Dammit.

Could go with shorter barrel and shorter handguard to cut more weight. Bout the only option left. Want to keep the gasblock covered.
    Using faxon lightweight pencil barrel now. 10.5 and lightweight rail areo? (Big A stamped on it, with those tabs on the back)

20200105_131419.jpg

Attachments

• 20200105_131419.jpg
      20200105_131419.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 228
    Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You could opt for a shockwave brace and shorter, lighter handguard. Maybe something in carbon fiber if you're really wanting to get crazy.

*edit* just go with a pistol tube and foam like a Phase 5

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remember also - - -> as your weight goes down,your accuracy starts to suffer.
    I have shot several different extremely light weight (<6lb) rifles. They were all inaccurate. 3MOA+ ---- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    You could opt for a shockwave brace and shorter, lighter handguard. Maybe something in carbon fiber if you're really wanting to get crazy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, so far just using my parts pile. Had one of the fixed blade braces and sold it, oops. Just sorted thru my man room and found all kinds of cool stuff.

*Found the thread protector, knock off 2 more oz. :) and have the extra benefit of setting things on fire now.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Remember also - - -> as your weight goes down,your accuracy starts to suffer.
    I have shot several different extremely light weight (<6lb) rifles. They were all inaccurate. 3MOA+ ---- SAWMAN

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Going to see alot more recoil impulse too. Also adding the irons with my squinty eyes might be an issue. This is just a fun gun, like the 9mm AR. Shoot and see. I also put in the lightest buffer I had. One oz less than the h2. All the bolts i had were the same weight.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I got down to 4#14oz with mag tactical receiver set, lw bcg, mft stock, ap carbon handguard and 16" dd lw barrel. That was pre brace

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I got down to 4#14oz with mag tactical receiver set, lw bcg, mft stock, ap carbon handguard and 16" dd lw barrel. That was pre brace

Wow. That's light for a 16 inch. Impressive. How did it shoot?

Wish I could weigh mine. I know it's less than 5, I have a hand weight and it feels less.

* the sba3 adjustable brace is over 7oz. Not counting the tube,nut or stop. The BAD brace is 3.1oz. Dont know what the shockwave blade weighs.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Never shot it. I ended up converting it back into a 22 instead. Shorter barrel would have saved some weight but the braces aren't that much lighter than the mft stock. I would have to used some titanium and or did the milling/cutting to save more. I was trying to maintain some functionality( no suggestion l skeleton parts, exposed gas tube etc)

Top Bottom