• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well, a month or so back I purchased a raffle ticket at a gun show from the SRC Sheriff. 30 days, 30 guns drawing. Got the notification this morning that I won. I'm ecstatic. What did I win? A Rock Island Armory bullpup shotgun. VRBP-100 model.
    Anyone have any experience with one of these? It's a Turkish made, semi-auto mag fed bullpup 12g chambered for 2¾ and 3 inch shells.
    I've never had a semi auto mag fed shotgun, and I'm curious about the gas system and reliability as 12g rounds vary drastically in pressures. I pick it up next Thursday as my CCW permit expired a couple months back (doh!) so gotta wait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The gas system isn't self regulating. It should come with two "pistons: one for 2.75 and another for 3.00 shells. That said there "may" still be ammo varaitions (low brass light loads) that won't cycle the action. Probably a youtuber(s) already put out vids on what works and what has issues but its alway best to run/test what you planning to use before it placed in service with that ammo. Really no different than any other semi-auto shotgun. Folks don't normally like "break-in" before guns run smooth. It's just something we tolerate (YMMV) when/if we encounter it. The charging handle (knob) is really really big. I like the steel mags: 5, 9 and a "19 shell" Big Boy. Lol. Have a blast!

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks guys. I ordered a case of fiochi high velocity 2¾ inch 1¼oz shot shells, hope that works alright to loosen up the springs for the break-in.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yep. Dont be discouraged if it acts up for awhile. If you can install a choke go with an x full for birdshot. Walmart cheap dove. DO NOT USE WITH BUCK OR SLUGS!!! Mod choke in my experience works best with buckshot. The XN1919 and the AK12 loved estate buckshot.

Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I appreciate the input. It comes with a full set of Benelli style choke inserts. I've been reading up and watching some YouTube videos on the gun. Supposedly it recommends a 100 shot break-in cycle with high pressure ammo and has worse recoil than most shotguns so expect a sore shoulder. I actually look forward to that. After that, do a full tear down and cleaning and it should feed even low brass bird without issue. It's definitely going to be different than my Mossberg 500, and I probably wouldn't take it hunting, but might be a fun range gun.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If I don't like it, it will probably end up on here for trade. Been wanting to do a bolt gun build for a while now.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just got her home. Gonna take her apart and clean and lube it all. Weather permitting, I'll go punish my shoulder by putting 50+ rounds of high velocity 6 shot though it this weekend.
    87f9a73a48a5e2585d1370eee0eca59c.jpg

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I haven't fired it yet. The more I think about it the less I'm interested in it, so figure it's got better trade or sell value unfired

Latest posts

Top Bottom