• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Was looking at a trade deal. Never had one. Guy has all poly mags with it. I wonder if there's a "wiggle" issue with the standard steel mags?

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have one and my steel mags wobble and my poly one doesn’t. The wobble doesn’t seem to affect function. I too got mine in a trade and don’t know much about them.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In short - Yes.
    Don't let a little mag wiggle/wobble scare you, it's normal.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Was looking at a trade deal. Never had one. Guy has all poly mags with it. I wonder if there's a "wiggle" issue with the standard steel mags?

WASR is probably the best deal going right now to get into AKs. Combloc factory built rifle with a CHF barrel - it's the bees knees. Apart from that, Atlantic builds nice parts kit guns. I hear good things about Palmetto's 3rd gen rifles, but I'm still highly skeptical of any AK that's entirely US made.

Mag wobble won't affect function unless it's flopping all over the place in the receiver... even then it'd probably still work :)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've been reading up on them and I have a pile of x39 from my ar-x39. It worked great after I got all the bugs knocked out of it. It was mag picky though. Thought about building another for fun.

** Any particular ones (AK) to stay away from? Would the milled ones be better?

Also looks like all the AK's are really spendy vs the AR.

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've been reading up on them and I have a pile of x39 from my ar-x39. It worked great after I got all the bugs knocked out of it. It was mag picky though. Thought about building another for fun.

** Any particular ones (AK) to stay away from? Would the milled ones be better?

When it comes to AKs, I'd say buy either an imported rifle (WASR, RH10, Saiga, Arsenal, etc) or at least a parts kit build by a reputable outfit. I have personal experience with Atlantic rifle builds and can tell you they're good to go. They also sell stripped rifles (the main build is done, you just outfit it with furniture and a trigger group). Milled rifles are great, but they're pricey. Arsenal's SAM line are the ones I'd look at if I was going in for a milled rifle... that said, there's nothing wrong with stamped AKs and I honestly like them better. YMMV.

If you haven't already, sign up over at AK Files and start reading - it's a great place to learn about the rifle. On YouTube, AK Operator's Union and Mrgunsngear are good channels to check out for AK stuff.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Wow. Some of these are really spendy. On a brighter note my 54c is worth a fortune. I always buy a pile of mags when I get a rifle. I've got over $600 in magazines w pouch and accessories. Who would have ever thought a rom psa54c would go that high. Wow.
    20190910_110336_1568132261101_001_1577946908195.jpg

Attachments

• 20190910_110336_1568132261101_001_1577946908195.jpg
      20190910_110336_1568132261101_001_1577946908195.jpg
      176.2 KB · Views: 249
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In short - Yes.
    Don't let a little mag wiggle/wobble scare you, it's normal.

The wobble of WASRs is only 'normal' to for guns originally made for single column 10 shot magazines that are cut out to take a standard double column magazine. Such receivers lack the pair of receiver dimples present in a normal stamped AKM receiver. There are no dimples in an AK milled-machined receiver that is not stamped.
    There are fixes for that wobble.
    No dimples and wobble
    wasr-10%20no%20dimples.png

Normal
    SAR-1%20with%20Dimples.png

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man, I remember when WASR-10 AK's were looked down upon as crap! Now ever since the import ban, things have went through the roof on AK's and opinions have changed!

I bought an WASR-10 for $350 about 12 - 13 years ago. It went bang all the time and I loved that gun. But everyone in the AK world back then said if it wasn't a milled receiver, it was junk! Canted front sights was the biggest problem etc... How time has changed things and now AK's are more expensive than AR platforms. I wish I would have got a Romanian PSL in 7.62x54 a few years back!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Man, I remember when WASR-10 AK's were looked down upon as crap! Now ever since the import ban, things have went through the roof on AK's and opinions have changed!

I bought an WASR-10 for $350 about 12 - 13 years ago. It went bang all the time and I loved that gun. But everyone in the AK world back then said if it wasn't a milled receiver, it was junk! Canted front sights was the biggest problem etc... How time has changed things and now AK's are more expensive than AR platforms. I wish I would have got a Romanian PSL in 7.62x54 a few years back!

Me too. I remember the $350 AKs. Wish I had bought 100 and 100 of the psls. Better return than my 401k. Seems like the psls at the end were $600. Add 10000 of the $89 m91s I could retire.( not really, but...)

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me too. I remember the $350 AKs. Wish I had bought 100 and 100 of the psls. Better return than my 401k. Seems like the psls at the end were $600. Add 10000 of the $89 m91s I could retire.( not really, but...)

I wish I would have held on to my AK's. I got rid of them all in favor of the AR platform. I always wanted a SVD and a PSL too but never pulled the trigger because I thought $600 for a PSL was too much money for a stamped receiver longer AK type firearm. But such was the times and hindsight is 20/20. Had quite a few Nagants as well too. Bought them for $79.99 locally and they were matching Hex receivers. I never seem to be lucky with this stuff. I made some money on the Mosin Nagants. But I just wish I would have hung onto them now.

Now I see PSL rifles going for $1600 plus. And finding an actual Russian SVD is near impossible. And when you do, holy crap batman, they are expensive!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Mine also went bang, but more time could been spent in the assembly of some parts. It seems to be a 3 moa rifle that is good enough for what I need.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have (had) a Century CV2 Milled completely US made. some people don't like them because what seems to be softer metal used for the bolt, however mine has platoed in the wear, and dosent seem to be getting worse. Nice shooting AK. I also have (had) a Romania built AKM, steel sights with no optic rail. with my older eyes, I dont shoot it much... The king of what I have (had) is the WPB Fox classic sweetest shooing AK I have ever had. with the red dot (on the CV2 and Fox) extremely accurate to 100 yards or so. In order of sweetness, 1 - Fox, 2 - CV2, 3 - Romania (just because of my eyes...)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have (had) a Century CV2 Milled completely US made. some people don't like them because what seems to be softer metal used for the bolt, however mine has platoed in the wear, and dosent seem to be getting worse. Nice shooting AK. I also have (had) a Romania built AKM, steel sights with no optic rail. with my older eyes, I dont shoot it much... The king of what I have (had) is the WPB Fox classic sweetest shooing AK I have ever had. with the red dot (on the CV2 and Fox) extremely accurate to 100 yards or so. In order of sweetness, 1 - Fox, 2 - CV2, 3 - Romania (just because of my eyes...)
    Most WASRs have a side mounted rails for attaching scope mounts. For my MAK 90 that has no provision for mounting optics I put a ultimak on it with an aim point on it. It is set up for co-witness.

1280754441_cff68018f7_o.jpg

Constantine93

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mag wobble does not effect reliability or function of a Kalash, the locking tabs will do the job very well. Allot of Korean mags and even Croat mags (my home country) have allot of wobble. Romania produces very good Kalashnikov rifles.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mag wobble does not effect reliability or function of a Kalash, the locking tabs will do the job very well. Allot of Korean mags and even Croat mags (my home country) have allot of wobble. Romania produces very good Kalashnikov rifles.
    Certain things are the same for any AK made in any excombloc arsenal. Where quality steps in is the fitting and assembly of parts. Things that are in general equal is a proper heat treated and made receiver for example. But your front sight may be loose and badly canted. The retainer for the slant muzzle brake may not work and there can be other things. A russian made AK intended for the troops may be better than those being sold for bargain basement prices to a third world country. But they normally will all go bang and always empty the magazine shot after shot.
    About 10 years ago I read from a Romanian that the factory cost for their AKs was $75 US. When mass produced the costs went down. But the final product will always depend on quality control.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Since you remember back in the day when WASR's started coming in and their problems...you might recall what WASR stood for at that time...What A Sh**ty Rifle!

Latest posts

Top Bottom