• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do I need to know?

Utilities, Internet, what/who to avoid?

Been in the area for quiet a while so I understand/accept the 98 thing. Thanks.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Happy New Year.

Avoid "Holley By The Sea" due to its HOA. Unless you like a homeowners association that is invasive, expensive, unpredictable, inconsistent, unreasonable, and tangibly disappointing.

Tons of new construction, but not enough infrastructure improvements to support:
    -So, if you have kids, I'd goto the applicable schools and ask face-to-face what the CURRENT situation is concerning ballooned class sizes, teacher ratios, temporary facilities, etc.
    -avoid a house that needs a sewage "grinder pump" to get the nasty stuff UPhill away from your home to the next pump station or downhill-portion of the sewage system. There are plenty of power outages, especially during storms. Those folks are the ones who have extra concerns and really should have a generator hooked up and functional just to maintain basic hygiene. (and that's not even addressing the times the pump becomes broken due to some kid flushing a toy that get caught in the grinder pump, etc)
    -look for at least one access point (2 or more is better) to 98 at a traffic LIGHT. The rush hour traffic can make it difficult to impossible to merge without a light, and even if You are good at judging vehicle speeds/gaps and accelerating your vehicle, you Will be stuck five cars back while some inexperienced/incompetent driver upfront is waiting for the entire state of Florida to drive by and leave them one mile of empty road.

Trash and recycle each get their own large plastic "square" bin with fliptop. Usually trash twice a week, recycle is added to one of those. Responsible homeowners put the trash/recycle out the morning-of due to wildlife getting into it overnight (bears, raccoons, etc). Depending on where you are in their route, the WastePro folks might go by your house at 6:30am. So, if early wake-up to put out the trash is a concern, call them up with an address and ask what are the days. They can change by what side of the street you're on.

The Eglin range gets used heavily. So, depending how far north you are, you will hear (and sometimes FEEL) the sounds of freedom and ordinance. I consider it a positive. I love my AC-130 private air shows from my yard, but others may not.

AT&T signal strength is crap in some areas. And the U-Verse is not as fast in the area due to their own lack of appropriate fiber-optic stations.

You know about 98. There is a TON of new construction on it. Who knows what that'll do to future plans for more lights, or turn lanes, etc. Just scout your area with a critical eye.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well the above just about covered it...for a growing area it seems to be the area with the least infrastructure...that is why we have never considered moving there.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Happy New Year.

Avoid "Holley By The Sea" due to its HOA. Unless you like a homeowners association that is invasive, expensive, unpredictable, inconsistent, unreasonable, and tangibly disappointing.

Tons of new construction, but not enough infrastructure improvements to support:
    -So, if you have kids, I'd goto the applicable schools and ask face-to-face what the CURRENT situation is concerning ballooned class sizes, teacher ratios, temporary facilities, etc.
    -avoid a house that needs a sewage "grinder pump" to get the nasty stuff UPhill away from your home to the next pump station or downhill-portion of the sewage system. There are plenty of power outages, especially during storms. Those folks are the ones who have extra concerns and really should have a generator hooked up and functional just to maintain basic hygiene. (and that's not even addressing the times the pump becomes broken due to some kid flushing a toy that get caught in the grinder pump, etc)
    -look for at least one access point (2 or more is better) to 98 at a traffic LIGHT. The rush hour traffic can make it difficult to impossible to merge without a light, and even if You are good at judging vehicle speeds/gaps and accelerating your vehicle, you Will be stuck five cars back while some inexperienced/incompetent driver upfront is waiting for the entire state of Florida to drive by and leave them one mile of empty road.

Trash and recycle each get their own large plastic "square" bin with fliptop. Usually trash twice a week, recycle is added to one of those. Responsible homeowners put the trash/recycle out the morning-of due to wildlife getting into it overnight (bears, raccoons, etc). Depending on where you are in their route, the WastePro folks might go by your house at 6:30am. So, if early wake-up to put out the trash is a concern, call them up with an address and ask what are the days. They can change by what side of the street you're on.

The Eglin range gets used heavily. So, depending how far north you are, you will hear (and sometimes FEEL) the sounds of freedom and ordinance. I consider it a positive. I love my AC-130 private air shows from my yard, but others may not.

AT&T signal strength is crap in some areas. And the U-Verse is not as fast in the area due to their own lack of appropriate fiber-optic stations.

You know about 98. There is a TON of new construction on it. Who knows what that'll do to future plans for more lights, or turn lanes, etc. Just scout your area with a critical eye.

Yupper ^^

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Then . . . there is the cost of insurance. OUCH !!! --- SAWMAN

It's not too crazy expensive. I live just off 98 in Gulf Breeze and it runs me roughly $1100/year for the run of the mill hurricane deductible etc... curious as to what other folks are paying in the north end of the counties. I'm not in a flood zone and haven't even really had any close calls as far back as Ivan. There's plenty of high ground in the area.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's not too crazy expensive. I live just off 98 in Gulf Breeze and it runs me roughly $1100/year for the run of the mill hurricane deductible etc... curious as to what other folks are paying in the north end of the counties. I'm not in a flood zone and haven't even really had any close calls as far back as Ivan. There's plenty of high ground in the area.

That doesn't seem out of line? Not knowing our house of course. (size, year built, roof age hurricane protection, etc....)

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Insurance isn’t bad, as stated above if you choose some good high ground. Which brings me to the only thing I didn’t see above... make sure you do not buy/ build in any kind of area that is lower than other houses, etc... Drainage can be a major issue and has not been considered enough with all the new construction. Talk to neighbors of possible properties and make sure there hasn’t been water pooling etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always live north of 98.
    Prices on the south side are ugly high.
    You can usually save 50K on the North Side.
    South side also takes more damage in the storms.
    My mom's house in Ranchettes was undamaged by Ivan...
    she had just had a steel roof installed, and shuttered the windows.
    No damage at all. Gotta love brick homes!

HOA's make everyone except for rabid liberals very unhappy.
    Avoid at all costs.

There's a neighborhood with America Ave and Gov't Drive & all that sort of name...avoid it too. For some reason there's a lot of scumbags back there.

Check the Santa Rosa Crime websites...it'll show all the problem areas.
    https://santarosasheriff.org/crime-information/
    https://spotcrime.com/fl/santa+rosa+county

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Where do you work? If you work East of Navarre I'd avoid moving there. I work on Hurlburt and it is 6 miles from my parking lot at work to my driveway. There have been times it has taken me 2-3 hours to get home from work because the idiots on 98 can't drive and wreck on a regular basis. I've gotten to the point when there is an accident I go have dinner somewhere in FWB and not have to deal with the stop and go traffic. I can leave at 4 pm and get home at 6 or 6:30 dealing with the stop and go traffic when there is an accident or go to dinner and get home at 6:30 or 7 enjoying a smoother 30 minute drive home once the back log of traffic clears. Once my youngest graduates High School in 6 years we'll sell and use the equity to build something far away from Hwy 98.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the responses guys. We do not intend on staying more than 3-5 years. Ultimate desire is to re-sell, break even, and head north for TN. I work at Hurlburt, we currently live south of Crestview, but rarely head north into town. The housing boom here is making it increasingly painful to get in/out of what was once a peaceful neighborhood, and we pretty much avoid Crestview, so.....

We found a place on the north end of HBTS that fits our needs, is bordered by wooded lots, and the military turn-over fits with our intent to re-sell. I'm not thrilled by the HOA, but do welcome a bit of peace and quiet, and the family is all about the gym and rec facilities. I really have no intent on doing anything with the house/property except living there and then selling in 3-5 so their rules are pretty much n/a IMO. Eglin range noise is no problem for me. I've been around that stuff for decades.

Our current house sold in two weeks(!), and in three months of looking, we could not find a decent place without septic or a freakin' sewage grinder. House we're going to has a commercial grade grinder, the power lines are under ground, and it will definitely get wired so I can hook the generator to it. The move is honestly more for my family than me. They are simply miserable near Crestview, so I'll deal with things as I always have; it's always something.

I appreciate ya'll's input/honesty. Thanks and keep it coming.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for all the responses guys. We do not intend on staying more than 3-5 years. Ultimate desire is to re-sell, break even, and head north for TN. I work at Hurlburt, we currently live south of Crestview, but rarely head north into town. The housing boom here is making it increasingly painful to get in/out of what was once a peaceful neighborhood, and we pretty much avoid Crestview, so.....

We found a place on the north end of HBTS that fits our needs, is bordered by wooded lots, and the military turn-over fits with our intent to re-sell. I'm not thrilled by the HOA, but do welcome a bit of peace and quiet, and the family is all about the gym and rec facilities. I really have no intent on doing anything with the house/property except living there and then selling in 3-5 so their rules are pretty much n/a IMO. Eglin range noise is no problem for me. I've been around that stuff for decades.

Our current house sold in two weeks(!), and in three months of looking, we could not find a decent place without septic or a freakin' sewage grinder. House we're going to has a commercial grade grinder, the power lines are under ground, and it will definitely get wired so I can hook the generator to it. The move is honestly more for my family than me. They are simply miserable near Crestview, so I'll deal with things as I always have; it's always something.

I appreciate ya'll's input/honesty. Thanks and keep it coming.

I work near the back gate on Hurlburt and I've learned if you can adjust your work times to avoid the normal work schedule traffic is better. Lots of times it's even better to go out that back gate and go around on 98 as the front gate starts to back up if you leave after 3:15 in the afternoon.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I work near the back gate on Hurlburt and I've learned if you can adjust your work times to avoid the normal work schedule traffic is better. Lots of times it's even better to go out that back gate and go around on 98 as the front gate starts to back up if you leave after 3:15 in the afternoon.
    Yep. I started going in early to avoid the Crestview traffic coming and going so will stay with the early hours. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Traffic typically isn't bad when Schools out unless there is an accident. The problem is Florosa Elementary sits on Hwy 98 1.5 miles to the West of Hurlburt and the school light starts flashing yellow at about 3:10, as soon as that happens the traffic starts backing up and getting off base going West becomes a pain! I've learned if I need to get home in a timely manner I leave work by 3pm! I'm not sure what idiot in this county thought it was cool to put schools along a major highway not far from a military base, just stupid. They spent all that money to build the Hurlburt Overpass and it has done nothing to relieve the traffic issues thanks to the school being there! You'll see once you move, right now traffic is great because the kids are out on Christmas break, things will go to crap again on Tuesday when they go back to school!

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That area you describe with the underground power lines is also the highest elevated portion of HBTS I believe. Did a lot of weekend yard sale shopping in HBTS. We lived two blocks behind the CVS on 98 just up from the bridge to the beach on a street named Wilburn Cove. Like you it was a temporary situation, due to employment in my case. Love to fish but I had to be on the beach before sunrise or the traffic was just to much for the little bridge there, especially in summertime. I got into a carpool and most days we would cut through Hurby on our route from the Walmart in Navarre to our work at Eglin. I wasn’t familiar with that portion of 98 but research showed it was super dangerous (among the top 15 or so in the US). I spoke with a few troopers who told me in the area for some reason it is not a question of if alcohol is involved but how much. There were a few higher crime areas behind the Wynn Dixie and back off East Bay but we left in early 2016, as soon as we located schools we wanted our children in. I did enjoy shooting at the Oak Ridge rant there. It wasn’t as crowded as it appears now and the guys who worked there were very cool. Most weekdays I could shoot for hours and they did a good job putting a new trigger in one of my rifles. My wife liked one of the sushi restaurants and the Thai restaurant across the street from Culvers where my wife liked the ice cream. We rented there but should have bought several and then rented them ourselves looking at the rental prices of about 1400 a month for a 3/2 around 1600 sq ft per my current colleagues who sell real estate. Be interested to hear your thoughts after residing there awhile. It solidified my like of more acreage and less neighbors.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Traffic typically isn't bad when Schools out unless there is an accident. The problem is Florosa Elementary sits on Hwy 98 1.5 miles to the West of Hurlburt and the school light starts flashing yellow at about 3:10, as soon as that happens the traffic starts backing up and getting off base going West becomes a pain! I've learned if I need to get home in a timely manner I leave work by 3pm! I'm not sure what idiot in this county thought it was cool to put schools along a major highway not far from a military base, just stupid. They spent all that money to build the Hurlburt Overpass and it has done nothing to relieve the traffic issues thanks to the school being there! You'll see once you move, right now traffic is great because the kids are out on Christmas break, things will go to crap again on Tuesday when they go back to school!

Much appreciated. I'm on the west side of the base and also normally leave at 3:00. I'm hoping I can get out the gate and on my way before most of the crap, but I'm also a bit desensitized by living the nightly Crestview back-up. Believe it or not, we also have a ton of school-related traffic on 85 since many up this way tend to send their kids to Niceville. The lack of traffic is quite apparent on non-school days.

My wife is convinced the universal powers that be are on our side, and I've learned over the years to let things just run their course and show themselves for what they are. The family is looking forward to being closer to the water, Pensacola, and believes being close to work will benefit us all. I'm more of a pessimist. I'm currently accustomed to driving anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour each way so I figure realistically, I'm in for the same thing, just driving a different direction/route. I find classical music helps.......

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That area you describe with the underground power lines is also the highest elevated portion of HBTS I believe. Did a lot of weekend yard sale shopping in HBTS. We lived two blocks behind the CVS on 98 just up from the bridge to the beach on a street named Wilburn Cove. Like you it was a temporary situation, due to employment in my case. Love to fish but I had to be on the beach before sunrise or the traffic was just to much for the little bridge there, especially in summertime. I got into a carpool and most days we would cut through Hurby on our route from the Walmart in Navarre to our work at Eglin. I wasn’t familiar with that portion of 98 but research showed it was super dangerous (among the top 15 or so in the US). I spoke with a few troopers who told me in the area for some reason it is not a question of if alcohol is involved but how much. There were a few higher crime areas behind the Wynn Dixie and back off East Bay but we left in early 2016, as soon as we located schools we wanted our children in. I did enjoy shooting at the Oak Ridge rant there. It wasn’t as crowded as it appears now and the guys who worked there were very cool. Most weekdays I could shoot for hours and they did a good job putting a new trigger in one of my rifles. My wife liked one of the sushi restaurants and the Thai restaurant across the street from Culvers where my wife liked the ice cream. We rented there but should have bought several and then rented them ourselves looking at the rental prices of about 1400 a month for a 3/2 around 1600 sq ft per my current colleagues who sell real estate. Be interested to hear your thoughts after residing there awhile. It solidified my like of more acreage and less neighbors.

Yes, it's set up higher, that was one of our main requirements for that area. We'll have a .5 acre lot with wooded lots on either side. One is owned by a neighbor who doesn't want anyone to build next to him, the other is a sanctuary owned by the HOA. We welcome the quiet; things have gotten way too loud where we are now compared to how they used to be. Sub woofers thumping, dirt bikes and ATVs running up and down the road, dogs barking 24/7; can't even open the windows in good weather.

Getting in/out of our current neighborhood has become increasingly harder with the out of control building and no roads to handle the traffic. Crestview really has nothing to offer us anymore. We avoid it and go to Niceville, Destin, or west toward Milton/Pace/Pensacola. I'll have a least two ways in/out of where we are going, but both end on 98. No different than everything ending on 85 up here, I guess. I'm looking at this as a house, not a home. I plan on eating/sleeping there, but not staying any longer than I have to.

I guess I'm gonna have to look at the Hurlburt rifle/pistol club, 'cause my old shootin' grounds are gonna be back up in the great white north. Thanks all.

Top Bottom