• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Can we discuss appendix carry and holsters. I have carried appendix very little but find it uncomfortable while sitting. I have only used the cheap “taco” style Kydex holsters and several years ago used an Uncle Mikes. I am 6’ 230lbs so have a little gut which does not help. I have seen some appendix holsters that have 1 belt clip and some kind of clip out to the side that appears to grip your waist band. What does that do? Does height of carry affect much? The holsters I have tried don’t allow you to change depth. Pistols I carry are the Glock 19,26 and possibly a 4” barrel M&P9. Any input is appreciated

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I have a body guard and a sig p938 and appendix carry is the same for me. I carry bodyguard in pocket with shorts in warm weather and sig in the winter with jeans.
    I bought a techni clip for the BG to put on my hip but haven't tried it yet.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I’m 6’2”.
    When I weighed 250, I thought AIWB was impossible.
    When I got to 210, suddenly it’s the best way to conceal carry if you drive a lot.
    Unfortunately, if your gut pushes and angles the holster into you, it’s a deal breaker for appendix carry.

Raven Eidolon, Tenicor Velo or Haley Incog have worked well for me in the past with the former being superior.

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm 6'3" and a husky 245. I've been carrying AIWB for over 2 years now with no major issues. Like others have said, the benefits outweigh the negatives.
    My holsters in rotation are currently a Phlster floodlight, Dark Star gear Orion and Holsterco Stealth. Two are light bearing, I use a TLR-HL. I found that toting a full size gun is actually more comfortable than a subcompact. YMMV

*edit* My holster list is similar to CESwartz07 with the addition of Holsterco.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It really comes down to holster selection for appendix. Look for kydex with a back cut along the trigger guard. Dale Fricke's Archangel. It's not as important with smaller guns like a G26 or Shield, but G19 size and larger in my opinion it's very important for long term comfort and also to help lessen the likelihood of nerve damage from sitting with a hard plastic corner in the crease of your thigh for long periods. I've been carrying this way since 2002 when I tweaked my back and couldn't draw from the 8-9 o'clock (I'm a lefty) for a couple of months.
    If you prefer leather the only leather I have found that works good is the High Noon Hideaway in horse hide, but it takes a good deal of break in time.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It really comes down to holster selection for appendix. Look for kydex with a back cut along the trigger guard. Dale Fricke's Archangel. It's not as important with smaller guns like a G26 or Shield, but G19 size and larger in my opinion it's very important for long term comfort and also to help lessen the likelihood of nerve damage from sitting with a hard plastic corner in the crease of your thigh for long periods. I've been carrying this way since 2002 when I tweaked my back and couldn't draw from the 8-9 o'clock (I'm a lefty) for a couple of months.
    If you prefer leather the only leather I have found that works good is the High Noon Hideaway in horse hide, but it takes a good deal of break in time.

Being a lefty myself, could you recommend an IWB holster? I've been looking heavily and just can't make a decision. The lightweight kydex ones I've tried without any backing feel like they're tearing into my skin no matter what my position is.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Being a lefty myself, could you recommend an IWB holster? I've been looking heavily and just can't make a decision. The lightweight kydex ones I've tried without any backing feel like they're tearing into my skin no matter what my position is.
    High Noon Hideaway, Milt Sparks Summer Special or VM2 are my go to holsters for leather

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also forgot to mention, appendix conceals better with a longer or taller holster. It tends to flip over the belt less. So if your carrying a G26 or G19, it’s usually better to get something G17 or G34 lenght

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL
    I am using a holster from Dale Fricke same as dohr. Lately I have noticed some doubling over and I think my belt is somewhat at fault here along with my anatomy. My holster uses snapped closed straps for hanging on to the belt. Those straps do wear out and I have some new ones that I need to install. The other day one of the snaps kept releasing and with pliers sort of did a temporary fix on it. These types of holsters will also wear out.
    Guns with an extended muzzle in my opinion should only be carried in holsters long enough to go over the extended muzzle. Bending over I think can push up on an extended barrel pushing the gun slightly out of the holster and then body movement may push it back in. If a piece of clothing works it self in a discharge of the weapon could occur.
    This type of holster for me is only fast after the shirt is lifted out of the way. But that is the case with most types of concealment.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am using a holster from Dale Fricke same as dohr. Lately I have noticed some doubling over and I think my belt is somewhat at fault here along with my anatomy. My holster uses snapped closed straps for hanging on to the belt. Those straps do wear out and I have some new ones that I need to install. The other day one of the snaps kept releasing and with pliers sort of did a temporary fix on it. These types of holsters will also wear out.
    Guns with an extended muzzle in my opinion should only be carried in holsters long enough to go over the extended muzzle. Bending over I think can push up on an extended barrel pushing the gun slightly out of the holster and then body movement may push it back in. If a piece of clothing works it self in a discharge of the weapon could occur.
    This type of holster for me is only fast after the shirt is lifted out of the way. But that is the case with most types of concealment.

Yep, a stiff belt and parts wear out. If you get a hold of Dale and let him know what's going on he'll fix it. I've sent him 4-5 year old holsters to put back together for me because I broke them. He's a class act and takes pride in his work. My current holsters are from Gypsy EDC only because I prefer Aaron's light bearing holsters a little better.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea a good stiff belt is a must too. I have use belts from Ares Gear and Volund Gearworks mostly, although I’ve used the Magpul ones in the past as well, but if I was in the market for leather again, I’d get one from Mean Gene

After a slow and very long learning curve I can appreciate the importance of decent belts.
    Are there any other quality belt makers out there beside mean gene?
    I just tried to order from mean gene leather and they would not except any of my email addresses as being valid. I bet they shut down for the holidays. At those prices they likely can afford long vacations. I will try again in a few days. No phone number either is available and so they may not be customer friendly.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I use a crossbreed belt. Heavy, durable and quality. Several options to wade through from width to buckle style, but worth the money.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If leather is a requirement, then you can look at the Magpul ones as well.

If your ok with non-leather/nylon type, both the Ares and Volund are great. Ares Ageis Enhanced is super stiff and is easily and infinitely adjustable. The Volund G-hook belts are very low profile, and are almost as easily and adjustable

You want a belt that is stiff in the way that it resist twisting.

Yes, Stiff reinforced leather and a conventional buckle. I found one belt that i will try out first for about the half price of the mean gene belt. I may eventually go to mean gene. Sometimes one has to put up with nonsense, high pricing, and BS to get the best product, but I sure do not like it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can’t speak from experience about anything other than the Magpul. I liked it well enough, I just don’t have a need for the leather look and ended up giving it to my brother, who is still using it.

Mean Gene gets great reviews from people I trust, and they make a belt using the Ares Ageis buckle which I like, but it’s not conventional.

I know there’s several other name brand leather belts out there like Crossbreed, Hanks, and Bigfoot, but I can’t speak to their quality.

You got it right that you need it to be reinforced. I’ve seen polymer and steel sandwiched between two layers of leather. I’d also look for one with the holes spaced closely together for more adjustability when using a conventional buckle

Excellent insight, especially about the hole spacing. I ordered a trial belt from Hanks and they seemed most eager to get my business. I will likely order different widths for use depending on the pants I am wearing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first concealed IWB holster was an Alien Gear at 4:30/5 o'clock (and I hated putting it on, taking it off, drawing, and holstering - such a PITA). Since then I've been appendix carrying. Here's my 7 cents of experience:

My kits:
    (1) TREX Arms Sidecar // G19 w/ TLR-1 // Spare G17 mag
    (2) TREX Arms Sidecar // G43 w/ +2 extension // Spare G43 mag w/ +4 extension

The only other appendix holster I've tried is the Tier 1 Axis Slim for the P365 w/ TLR-6 and a spare 15 round mag so these remarks mostly revolve around the Sidecar.

About the Sidecar:
    Made of kydex. Ride height adjustable with two clips that ride outside the pants and over the belt. Option to carry red dot and/or comp on weapon. Adjustable retention. Holds a spare mag. Comes in a variety of colors and patterns. Can tuck your shirt in. Durable.

Pros to AIWB:
    Easy/quick access to the weapon in a vehicle, comfortable while sitting in vehicle or chair, easy/quick access to the spare magazine, less printing (see notes), EASY to don and doff, full grip draw, easy holstering, access to weapon if you fall on your back or pushed against a wall, one handed draw is pretty easy.

Cons to AIWB:
    More printing (see notes), can be uncomfortable, while drawing/holstering you can flag your pecker or femoral artery (see notes), bending over to put shoes on with the G19 kit is a painful bitch for me (see notes),

Recommendations:
    G19-weighted/sized kits work much better with a rigid, low profile EDC belt, sturdy pants, and looser shirts. Wearing the pants up on the hips helps as well. Some belt buckles are too thick to easily wear the holster and may add to discomfort. G43-weighted/sized kits are do-able with gym shorts and tighter fitting shirts.

Notes:
    Printing - the less belly I have, the easier it is to hide. The bottom of the gun (mag/mag well) is the hardest to conceal. Looser clothes make the weapon disappear. The G19 conceals better for me appendix versus 4:30/5 o'clock.
    Your pecker and femoral artery health - The gun is also pointed at these critical no-shoot areas when holstered, but with Glock's internal safeties it isn't a concern. (It definitely was when I first started AIWB, but grew to trust the holster and gun. Strong weapon handling fundamentals are also a must.)
    Putting on shoes w/ G19 - Squatting, bending over to pick stuff up, daily movement etc aren't really issues, but when putting shoes on it can be pretty difficult for me. I just get dressed, put on the holster, and when ready to put on shoes to leave I quickly and easily take the holster off and replace when done.

Overall Take:
    AIWB isn't meant for 100% comfort (wool sweaters are), but the holster really isn't that noticeable throughout the day.
    I believe the pros outweigh the cons overall, but will say there still are times and places for ankle or 4:30/5 o'clock carry.
    Quality matters and so does being able to re-holster the weapon easily.
    I have no data to say if appendix versus 4:30/5 o'clock draw speeds are comparable, but I personally think appendix carry is a more natural draw with less movement. (Try out the motions between both.)

:usa: Just remember, looking cool is all that matters. :usa:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Frommerstop, I've been using a Magpul Tejas and Aker leather belts for dress attire and casual for a couple years and no major complaints. The belts have held their form and the stitching is still in place. The magpul is a little rougher on dress pants with smaller belt loops, the belt is wider and the leather/polymer is square cut(edges wear on the thinner dress pant loops). The Aker is a somewhat thinner and "dressier". I would certainly reccomend both.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see one important advantage to appendix carry that no one is mentioning.

You can keep both of yours hands to your front. In confrontation with a foe, I never want to be reaching behind to draw a weapon in what is a reactive scenario. I want both hands to my front.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've been looking at all the recommended holsters everyone is posting and I'm honestly curious about one thing. How on earth are yall affording these things to try out? I don't see where there are distributors for half of the ones recommended in the area so you can try them before buying them. Honestly only ones I've seen on the shelves mainly are the shitty uncle mikes ones and the occasional alien gear at the pawnshops. I was looking at some of the nice leather custom ones and they're not cheap. You could buy a gun off this forum right now for the price they're charging for an IWB holster. I can't see myself spending that much on something that doesn't fit or feel right and will be carrying my EDC gun just to be stuck with it. Do you sometimes just have to settle for what you have and work with it? Or do you just take a loss and try to sell it locally? I'm a lefty and I'd be screwed trying to offload a $150 holster locally. It would just go in the box of gun shit I'll never use but don't want to throw away.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been looking at all the recommended holsters everyone is posting and I'm honestly curious about one thing. How on earth are yall affording these things to try out? I don't see where there are distributors for half of the ones recommended in the area so you can try them before buying them. Honestly only ones I've seen on the shelves mainly are the shitty uncle mikes ones and the occasional alien gear at the pawnshops. I was looking at some of the nice leather custom ones and they're not cheap. You could buy a gun off this forum right now for the price they're charging for an IWB holster. I can't see myself spending that much on something that doesn't fit or feel right and will be carrying my EDC gun just to be stuck with it. Do you sometimes just have to settle for what you have and work with it? Or do you just take a loss and try to sell it locally? I'm a lefty and I'd be screwed trying to offload a $150 holster locally. It would just go in the box of gun shit I'll never use but don't want to throw away.

The Fricke holsters that I use and recommended by Donr are thin, flexible, of durable plastic. You want thin. Leather is not what you want for a hot humid climate in my opinion except for the belt and even there with more research I could change my mind.
    I am going to switch over to carrying an RMR and need to check with Fricke if he has a holster made for that. I could modified the one that I have. But it should be replaced since I have been using it for years and these do have limited life time.
    Good equipment is not cheap. I have most of the guns that I require and will do my spending on accessories and equipment.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just tried on my newly purchased belt from Hanks. That is the thickest piece of leather I have ever owned. Barely made it through the belt loops due to the thickness. I will likely buy a second one of lesser width for pants with smaller loops.
    My only criticism is that the buckle holes could be a little closer together.
    I think I will to wait for it to break in before I can say more.
    The shipping was fast. I may have gotten it a little too long, but longer is way better than too short.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out these videos for some insight and potential level of skill:

Trex Arms - Cold Start Target Transition Drill with Sidecar Holster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTiUrzcG5fw
    Lucas at Trex Arms trains SOF units because of his high level of shooting fundamentals. His company builds equipment solely for maximum functionality and is very Pro 2A. Notice how easy the Sidecar is put on, draw speed, and holster speed.

Garand Thumb - Basics of Concealed Carry Holsters / IWB vs OWB - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqFhKPJl3ks
    Informative videos with a hint of humor. SERE instructor turned JTAC if I recall correctly. Also has excellent shooting fundamentals.

Warrior Poet Society - NEW Concealed Carry Holster: TIER 1 AXIS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7i-J8vZPb0
    He is perhaps more American than most. A former ranger. His training schedule slots fill incredibly quickly (2020 has been full since late 2019) and that should tell you something. This video shows a close competitor to the Sidecar. I do like the paracord bound holster - molds better to the body.

I've learned a great deal from these three channels (and many more). Hope you all find them helpful.

You, OP, or anyone is welcome to come out to Southern Tactical in Holt and check out the holsters I have (TREX Arms Sidecars [G19/17 & G43] and Tier 1 Axis Slim [P365]). Even lefties will still get the general feel/idea. And it's never a bad idea to train both hands ;). PM me if interested.

edit: Meant to reply to kidsoncoffee, but idk how to work all the functions in the forum yet. Also, I've been using a Warrior Poet Society EDC belt https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/low-profile-edc-belt/ and love the mess out of this thing. Holds the gun very well, but also in construction it holds an impact driver / tape measure / etc with great rigidity, comfort, and ease.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom