Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Frommerstop, I've been using a Magpul Tejas and Aker leather belts for dress attire and casual for a couple years and no major complaints. The belts have held their form and the stitching is still in place. The magpul is a little rougher on dress pants with smaller belt loops, the belt is wider and the leather/polymer is square cut(edges wear on the thinner dress pant loops). The Aker is a somewhat thinner and "dressier". I would certainly reccomend both.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

--Insert inspirational quote here--

2. Likes JWlineman's Post:

I see one important advantage to appendix carry that no one is mentioning.

You can keep both of yours hands to your front. In confrontation with a foe, I never want to be reaching behind to draw a weapon in what is a reactive scenario. I want both hands to my front.
    Last edited by FrommerStop; 01-08-2020 at 11:11 PM.

I've been looking at all the recommended holsters everyone is posting and I'm honestly curious about one thing. How on earth are yall affording these things to try out? I don't see where there are distributors for half of the ones recommended in the area so you can try them before buying them. Honestly only ones I've seen on the shelves mainly are the shitty uncle mikes ones and the occasional alien gear at the pawnshops. I was looking at some of the nice leather custom ones and they're not cheap. You could buy a gun off this forum right now for the price they're charging for an IWB holster. I can't see myself spending that much on something that doesn't fit or feel right and will be carrying my EDC gun just to be stuck with it. Do you sometimes just have to settle for what you have and work with it? Or do you just take a loss and try to sell it locally? I'm a lefty and I'd be screwed trying to offload a $150 holster locally. It would just go in the box of gun shit I'll never use but don't want to throw away.

5. Likes kidsoncoffee's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kidsoncoffee View Post
    I've been looking at all the recommended holsters everyone is posting and I'm honestly curious about one thing. How on earth are yall affording these things to try out? I don't see where there are distributors for half of the ones recommended in the area so you can try them before buying them. Honestly only ones I've seen on the shelves mainly are the shitty uncle mikes ones and the occasional alien gear at the pawnshops. I was looking at some of the nice leather custom ones and they're not cheap. You could buy a gun off this forum right now for the price they're charging for an IWB holster. I can't see myself spending that much on something that doesn't fit or feel right and will be carrying my EDC gun just to be stuck with it. Do you sometimes just have to settle for what you have and work with it? Or do you just take a loss and try to sell it locally? I'm a lefty and I'd be screwed trying to offload a $150 holster locally. It would just go in the box of gun shit I'll never use but don't want to throw away.
    Yea, unless you can borrow one from someone you know, you have to buy based on other’s comments. I have spent way too much money over the years trying stuff out.

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL
    Deadly Threat Defense LLC - Affordable firearms training near Pensacola, FL

Quote Originally Posted by kidsoncoffee View Post
    The Fricke holsters that I use and recommended by Donr are thin, flexible, of durable plastic. You want thin. Leather is not what you want for a hot humid climate in my opinion except for the belt and even there with more research I could change my mind.
    I am going to switch over to carrying an RMR and need to check with Fricke if he has a holster made for that. I could modified the one that I have. But it should be replaced since I have been using it for years and these do have limited life time.
    Good equipment is not cheap. I have most of the guns that I require and will do my spending on accessories and equipment.
    Last edited by FrommerStop; 01-09-2020 at 08:24 AM.

I just tried on my newly purchased belt from Hanks. That is the thickest piece of leather I have ever owned. Barely made it through the belt loops due to the thickness. I will likely buy a second one of lesser width for pants with smaller loops.
    My only criticism is that the buckle holes could be a little closer together.
    I think I will to wait for it to break in before I can say more.
    The shipping was fast. I may have gotten it a little too long, but longer is way better than too short.

9. Likes FrommerStop's Post:

22LR
    Check out these videos for some insight and potential level of skill:

Trex Arms - Cold Start Target Transition Drill with Sidecar Holster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTiUrzcG5fw
    Lucas at Trex Arms trains SOF units because of his high level of shooting fundamentals. His company builds equipment solely for maximum functionality and is very Pro 2A. Notice how easy the Sidecar is put on, draw speed, and holster speed.

Garand Thumb - Basics of Concealed Carry Holsters / IWB vs OWB - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqFhKPJl3ks
    Informative videos with a hint of humor. SERE instructor turned JTAC if I recall correctly. Also has excellent shooting fundamentals.

Warrior Poet Society - NEW Concealed Carry Holster: TIER 1 AXIS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7i-J8vZPb0
    He is perhaps more American than most. A former ranger. His training schedule slots fill incredibly quickly (2020 has been full since late 2019) and that should tell you something. This video shows a close competitor to the Sidecar. I do like the paracord bound holster - molds better to the body.

I've learned a great deal from these three channels (and many more). Hope you all find them helpful.

You, OP, or anyone is welcome to come out to Southern Tactical in Holt and check out the holsters I have (TREX Arms Sidecars [G19/17 & G43] and Tier 1 Axis Slim [P365]). Even lefties will still get the general feel/idea. And it's never a bad idea to train both hands . PM me if interested.

edit: Meant to reply to kidsoncoffee, but idk how to work all the functions in the forum yet. Also, I've been using a Warrior Poet Society EDC belt https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/low-profile-edc-belt/ and love the mess out of this thing. Holds the gun very well, but also in construction it holds an impact driver / tape measure / etc with great rigidity, comfort, and ease.
    Last edited by Lucky Number 700; 01-17-2020 at 08:28 PM.

11. 5 Like Lucky Number 700's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Number 700 View Post
    Check out these videos for some insight and potential level of skill:

Trex Arms - Cold Start Target Transition Drill with Sidecar Holster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTiUrzcG5fw
    Lucas at Trex Arms trains SOF units because of his high level of shooting fundamentals. His company builds equipment solely for maximum functionality and is very Pro 2A. Notice how easy the Sidecar is put on, draw speed, and holster speed.

for as much of that video as I watched. That rig was not concealed in any real sense in a way that one could carry on in real life. Fellow has good reflexes and is very fast.

I use Trex Arms holsters and love the quality. If you go on Ebay, he sells blemished ones (No functionality issues) for a little less. Iv been using them since 2015 and have never had an issue.

https://www.trex-arms.com/product-ca...ories/sidecar/

There are a few other useful Items and videos on that site as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtooth View Post
    I use Trex Arms holsters and love the quality. If you go on Ebay, he sells blemished ones (No functionality issues) for a little less. Iv been using them since 2015 and have never had an issue.

https://www.trex-arms.com/product-ca...ories/sidecar/

There are a few other useful Items and videos on that site as well.
    No way I could wear something like that.

Fricke's Archangel I can handle and if I want to carry a mag I stand an extra magazine in my front pocket next to my wallet.