• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have my Brownells Retro Rifle build all done, I’ll be posting a separate thread soon. My question is, does Troy Industries still manufacture their version of the Retro Rifles...? I don’t see anything on their website and the older site they had “My Service Rifle” is under construction. Looking online some other gun stores are selling the Troy Industries USAF GUU-5/P rifle (cheaper than dirt & buds), while Grabagun is selling both complete Brownells rifles and also some Troy uppers. Just wondering....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Doing the retro rifles builds,take note of the "correctness" of the parts,stamps,etc.
    I started by doing quite a bit of research (thanks jj) into the different parts available,how they were assembled,and the overall look of the guns.
    I tried to remember the guns I used and how configured. But back then we did not have the time to scrutinize them. We just used them until they were not reliable and traded them for others that we wanted/needed from a vast rack of new or refurbished weapons.
    Several years ago when I was starting to get interested in the retro guns,the main problems were that some critical parts were unavailable or if you COULD get them,the coloring did not match. Nodak Spud was waaaaay behind in their deliveries. The proper contour and twist bbls were nowhere to be found . . OR . . priced right there with the gold standard.
    My intended build was a XM177E2. It used some M16 parts but quite a few that were "Colt Commando Carbine" (609,607,629,GAU-5,etc,etc) parts.
    I called Troy and they were assembling the guns (one for me,and one for a buddy at an upcoming reunion) that I wanted so I ordered two. These guns were closer to the (now) $25,000+original than any other gun or parts offered. The parts color match was perfect. The box it came in had some great extras. Several of the parts were Vietnam era ORIGIONAL. Two position stock,grip,OD canvas sling and a couple others IIRC.
    Your/my build is what we want them to be. If you start scrounging the parts to assemble yourself,the final build could mean more to you. That's great. Not me. I am the "when I want it . . I want it now" kinda guy.
    Another thing . . . take a close look at the Brownell's parts or complete guns. They are not as "correct" as the Troy guns.
    Best of luck with your build. Post pics when complete please. --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I have my Brownells Retro Rifle build all done, I’ll be posting a separate thread soon. My question is, does Troy Industries still manufacture their version of the Retro Rifles...? I don’t see anything on their website and the older site they had “My Service Rifle” is under construction. Looking online some other gun stores are selling the Troy Industries USAF GUU-5/P rifle (cheaper than dirt & buds), while Grabagun is selling both complete Brownells rifles and also some Troy uppers. Just wondering....

One sure-fire way of finding out is to call Troy Industries. Quite possibly, their retro rifles could have been discontinued and CTD, Buds, and Grabagun are selling what remaining stock they have or could get from Troy. Brownells has really dominated the market with retro rifles as they are priced very reasonably for what they are.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good ideal, I was kinda leaning that way Tackleberry...doing a lot of internet reading and have seen next to nothing. I do recall Sawman telling us of his two Troy built rifles form other Retro Rifle question here. They seem to be becoming more popular, let’s see where this all goes.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Good ideal, I was kinda leaning that way Tackleberry...doing a lot of internet reading and have seen next to nothing. I do recall Sawman telling us of his two Troy built rifles form other Retro Rifle question here. They seem to be becoming more popular, let’s see where this all goes.

The retro craze has been building over the past few years. Back when I started building them, they were not all that popular. original M16 parts and parts kits were readily available and inexpensive. Today, original parts cost a fortune when you can find them and repro parts are slim. Brownells is the largest company producing repro retro parts and rifles. When they first started with their retro line, there were a lot of discrepancies and they were pointed out promptly. Brownells made a point to produce more correct parts and pay a bit more attention to detail. Troy has made a couple nice retros, but I think they were not ready to produce them in large quantities. Their main focus is on modern ARs because that is where the meat of the market lies. Brownells still has some things to refine on a couple models, but that takes more time and money for manufacturing those parts. I have taken a break from retros for a while. I have my share and then some. I have resorted to building modern ARs again as parts are a lot easier to acquire.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I like the top charging one. Pretty cool. My father while doing storm clean up several years ago in NC found a m16 in a bag under a house. The real deal with the giggle switch.. His boss scooped it up, never to be seen again. Sucks.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I like the top charging one. Pretty cool. My father while doing storm clean up several years ago in NC found a m16 in a bag under a house. The real deal with the giggle switch.. His boss scooped it up, never to be seen again. Sucks.

The one with the top-mounted charging handle was Armalite AR-15 "Prototype" (circa 1957).

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/ProtoGde/ArmaLite17.html

Brownells make a nice repro of it, although the furniture color is a bit off. A buddy of mine in Illinois can create the correct look and color of the original Prototype furniture. He is John Thomas of Retro Arms Works. This is the one he built.

U5vo9eK.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The one with the top-mounted charging handle was Armalite AR-15 "Prototype" (circa 1957).

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/ProtoGde/ArmaLite17.html

Brownells make a nice repro of it, although the furniture color is a bit off. A buddy of mine in Illinois can create the correct look and color of the original Prototype furniture. He is John Thomas of Retro Arms Works. This is the one he built.

U5vo9eK.jpg

The only thing I dont like is it still has the dip stick going aft of the handle when you charge it, I think??? Was it the ar180 that had the funky bolt mounted one?

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I e-mailed Troy this week and this is the answer:

Hi Rick,
    Thank you for your email, in regards to your question. The TROY Retro line of Rifles has been discontinued and no longer available.

Thank you,

Kevin

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,not enough interest. There was a waiting list when I got my two. One was a gift for a long time friend (and savior).
    I have put about 850 rds through mine now. Using the Federal M193 have not had one hiccup. Tried the M855 and heavier and the 1:12 twist will not shoot them accurately. I just had to reconfirm something that we learned back in the good old daZE.
    The M855's shot " just OK" at 35-40yds but that was it.
    Keep thinking about trying to "distress" my gun but kinda scared as to what I would be gettin' into. My "other" XM177E2 was used (and abused) pretty hard. It would be perfect if I could replicate that. ---- SAWMAN

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There are a few vendors who have the Troy version of the USAF (mixmaster) GUU-5P in stock still here and there, but it’s a situation of either the Brownell’s version OR roll your own for the XM177E2 now. I guess also gunbroker comes into play. Sawman’s theory is there wasn’t enough interest in the Troy retro line of rifles, I agree sadly....on the other hand, Brownell’s seems to be expanding their line up. That’s where we are now on the retro stuff.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Simply . . . the more "true" that these retro rifle suppliers can make their guns,the better/more/faster they will sell. If the price has to go up accordingly for the authenticity . . WELL . . you get what you pay for.
    The Troy guns are as authentic as you can get (buy). I suspect that you can build a gun closer to the real thing if you are willing to . . . #1. PAY and #2.WAIT and #3. SCROUNGE. Even then,you will most likely end up with a multi colored gun.
    Except for the "given" of the full auto and moderator,my gun is as authentic as you can get.
    (NO . . I'm not going to prove it or argue it.) ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom