• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James Deen

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am building a 10.5 inch ar rifle. and was wondering what buffer I should use. as I understand it sometimes the 10.5" can be picky. so any experience, recommended buffers would be appreciated.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Recommend starting with a standard carbine buffer (and it's the cheapest). If your BCG is going back too fast, too soon, and the extractor is ripping off the rim of the case, then go to a heavier buffer to slow down the BCG and give the chamber pressure more time to go down before extraction. And be sure to install an O-ring over the extractor spring. A #60 will do. Buy a 10 pack of them at Lowes in the plumbing supply area for around $2.00.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Recommend starting with a standard carbine buffer (and it's the cheapest). If your BCG is going back too fast, too soon, and the extractor is ripping off the rim of the case, then go to a heavier buffer to slow down the BCG and give the chamber pressure more time to go down before extraction. And be sure to install an O-ring over the extractor spring. A #60 will do. Buy a 10 pack of them at Lowes in the plumbing supply area for around $2.00.

Daezee has been around for awhile and has lots of experience but I'll add my more limited experience.

Standard buffer is probably fine but you can probably go heavier without ill effects and it should help with some recoil and slow down the system a little. There's lots of variables to consider. The buffer works with the spring and the ammo and gas port size play a factor as well. I've always started with an H2 and never had issue but others have had short stroking with an H2. If you've got the option, try someone else's before you commit.

WRT the O-ring. Your bolt may not need it. I've seen bolts that were so tight after the addition of the o-ring that it wouldn't let the round go. If you're having issues with extraction, it should help.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would start at an H with a 10.5, I have yet to see one that didn't need either an H or H2 to run correctly. Depending on the barrel maker it's more than likely over gassed to run cheaper ammo.

James Deen

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the wisdom, have built a couple of normal length rifles, but am going to try something new.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Running a spikes T2 which is basically a H1 carbine buffer in my 10.5" and haven't had a single issue. You could probably run a H2 and not see a difference. I have a few different ones on hand from my build as I didn't want to not have the proper buffer and have to wait on shipping while I dialed my gun in. I've run a H2 in it and didn't notice a difference. I like the spikes T buffers since there's no weights clanking around inside the buffer.

Top Bottom