• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I just bought the Pantheon Dolos system with the handguard. I put it on my 300 blackout pistol. Unfortunately, the handguard does not have any picatinny rail so that I can put up a front sight on it. I will have a red dot mounted, but I would like to have backup sights, just in case. I have roughly 2 inches between the top of the hand guard and the end of the muzzle brake. I'm looking for suggestions on how to put on my magpul front sight. I'm thinking on putting a barrel mount, but I have no experience with them and I don't know if they will hold zero once I run rounds through them. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

dolos1.png

Attachments

• dolos1.png
      dolos1.png
      49.3 KB · Views: 319

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't used them but these attach straight to the barrel. They're a little spendy too.
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-15-fixed-clamp-on-front-sight-prod85934.aspx

Depending on the handguard, you could probably rig up a pic rail. The yhm tubes had some accessory sections you could add but no clue is the diameter is the same.
    https://yhm.net/accessories/rails-mounts.html

For the attachment above one will have to remove the flash hider or other muzzle attachments verify the diameter of the barrel is correct. I have run into a similar problem and need work on a solution. Mine had a front sight that was too close to the my eyes. Not on the end of the barrel.

My front sight was like on the image below and I want to move the front sight towards the muzzle further from my old eyes to allow a better focus.
    Colt_AR-15_Sporter_Lightweight_rifle_-_set_%288378298853%29.jpg

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Another option is to install this without the gas tube on the end of your muzzle
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-750-standard-front-sight-base-prod81261.aspx

p_080001248_1.jpg

For the attachment above one will have to remove the flash hider or other muzzle attachments verify the diameter of the barrel is correct.

Your recommendation is going to need to be drilled for screws or pins(drilling into the barrel)on top of removing the muzzle device and checking barrel diameter. It's also going to be less forgiving on barrel diameter.

Yhm makes some clamp on gas block/sight combos. You won't have to take the muzzle device off, but as frommer said, you'll still need to "verify your barrel diameter".

https://yhm.net/accessories/sights/front-sights.html

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your recommendation is going to need to be drilled for screws or pins(drilling into the barrel)on top of removing the muzzle device and checking barrel diameter. It's also going to be less forgiving on barrel diameter.

Yhm makes some clamp on gas block/sight combos. You won't have to take the muzzle device off, but as frommer said, you'll still need to "verify your barrel diameter".

https://yhm.net/accessories/sights/front-sights.html

The difference is $20 vs $80 versus the more difficult installation of the $20 part. The mil spec $20 part is the stronger installation

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The difference is $20 vs $80 versus the more difficult installation of the $20 part. The mil spec $20 part is the stronger installation

Stronger when done properly. Clamp ons are plenty strong enough for the intended use here. If you've got the tooling/gear and have installed a fsb before, it's not a big deal. If you need to buy the gear, you screw up the installation or have to pay someone else to install it, your cost advantage goes away. You're also stuck with the fsb once you install it.

Im not championing the one from my first post, it was just an indication of options out there. The yhm offerings are better with the folding sights.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stronger when done properly. Clamp ons are plenty strong enough for the intended use here. If you've got the tooling/gear and have installed a fsb before, it's not a big deal. If you need to buy the gear, you screw up the installation or have to pay someone else to install it, your cost advantage goes away. You're also stuck with the fsb once you install it.

Im not championing the one from my first post, it was just an indication of options out there. The yhm offerings are better with the folding sights.

It really depends on the intended use. As a range toy a clamp on is good. For use as a blunt instrument to strike someone or simply the weapon getting dropped is another story. The folding sights are another option. There are clamp on short picatinny rails that can take a folding sight. I am not sure how strong they are.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    With regards to strength. These guys torqued a clamp on block until they damaged the barrel/ upper. It's a one off test and there's several variables that will determine ultimate strength but when installed properly, clamp ons can be plenty secure. Pertinent entry is from 7/30 on the web page.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html#torque

I always love the "range toy" comments. Not all guns have to be setup for whatever worst case scenario you have in your head. The OP is putting this on a dolos setup. Clamp on, attached rail etc are going to be fine with proper installation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With regards to strength. These guys torqued a clamp on block until they damaged the barrel/ upper. It's a one off test and there's several variables that will determine ultimate strength but when installed properly, clamp ons can be plenty secure. Pertinent entry is from 7/30 on the web page.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html#torque

I always love the "range toy" comments. Not all guns have to be setup for whatever worst case scenario you have in your head. The OP is putting this on a dolos setup. Clamp on, attached rail etc are going to be fine with proper installation.

interesting information. The site wanted information from me and when it did not get it.
    Unauthorized

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 401 Unauthorized error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Maybe later I will comply.

range toy is a valid term; at the moment that is how I classify some of what I have.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Hard to tell from the pic, but would an MLOK rail fit into those openings?

It would but with the Dolos system, you twist the handguard to take off or put back on the barrel to the upper. So, my zero would be a little off once I take off the barrel.

It is mostly a range toy, but I want to use it more for a camping/hiking, truck gun.
    I was thinking of getting a barrel mount with rails on it, like this one (https://www.opticsplanet.com/aim-sports-inc-ar15-tri-rail-barrel-mount.html) and just put on some flip-up sights. It would be the same concept as Nate suggested with the Brownells link. I just don't have any experience with a barrel clamp-on system. In the end, I may go with a barrel clamp-on system and check out zero after about 500 or so rounds through the barrel.

I just read the information on that sight. It suggests that I might be OK with a clamp-on system, assuming the metal quality was good and that I torque it properly. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    FrommerStop - I had the same setup and like you, my eyes had problems with focus. So, I decided to pop out the pins on the front sight, install a different handguard with rails. That allowed me to move the front sight further up. It was a pain to remove the pins, you need a good and heavy mallet and the power of THOR to remove them, but it is doable. Have you thought of that option?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrommerStop - I had the same setup and like you, my eyes had problems with focus. So, I decided to pop out the pins on the front sight, install a different handguard with rails. That allowed me to move the front sight further up. It was a pain to remove the pins, you need a good and heavy mallet and the power of THOR to remove them, but it is doable. Have you thought of that option?
    I have found that while looking redundant the gasblock-sight base can left to remain just where it is. Just remove the tiny sight post thingy and mount a new sight base up near the muzzle. Right now I have a rube goldberg looking set up and I want something better at that end. Since I am moving toward the AR as being my do most anything plateform I just as well should learn how to mount the mil spec structure at the front of the gun. I will likely retire my AKs get ARs, but hang on to my sks rifles for legally complying with future assault rifle bans, although likely someday those will go too and we be reduced to throwing licensed and registered rocks lol.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have found that while looking redundant the gasblock-sight base can left to remain just where it is. Just remove the tiny sight post thingy and mount a new sight base up near the muzzle. Right now I have a rube goldberg looking set up and I want something better at that end. Since I am moving toward the AR as being my do most anything plateform I just as well should learn how to mount the mil spec structure at the front of the gun. I will likely retire my AKs get ARs, but hang on to my sks rifles for legally complying with future assault rifle bans, although likely someday those will go too and we be reduced to throwing licensed and registered rocks lol.

I hear-ya on the bans, but that is the reason why I purchased this

slinshot.png

but be careful not to get a black one or paint it black, it would then be categorized as an Assult Rifle, right now, it would just be a pistol to some..lol

Attachments

• slinshot.png
      slinshot.png
      20.4 KB · Views: 169

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    If a front sight is not feasible, consider an optic on your receiver that is long lasting. I have used the HoloSun Solar red dot sights long enough that I recommend them for serious rifles. Should do alright on a range toy/fun gun.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Unfortunately, the handguard does not have any picatinny rail so that I can put up a front sight on it. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a knurled handguard, it too has no holes for mounting anything. I have a T/C rifle and used a spare weaver mount on it. Used thread for straight edge (so to speak) to get the center, aligned the mount straight using the thread as guide, marked it, drilled it, mounted it, used small machine screws with loctite. It's straight and hits where the red-dot shows it will. Maybe it can work in your situation? If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, check with Oneshot here on the forum, he's the gunsmith and can do it for you. g/l

This one is the TC mount I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Rifl...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000P03C2S

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a knurled handguard, it too has no holes for mounting anything. I have a T/C rifle and used a spare weaver mount on it. Used thread for straight edge (so to speak) to get the center, aligned the mount straight using the thread as guide, marked it, drilled it, mounted it, used small machine screws with loctite. It's straight and hits where the red-dot shows it will. Maybe it can work in your situation? If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, check with Oneshot here on the forum, he's the gunsmith and can do it for you. g/l

This one is the TC mount I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Rifl...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000P03C2S

Zeroed In - Thanks for the suggestion. I guess "Great Minds," think alike. I temporarily jerry-rigged up a rail last night and mounted the front sight on it just to test my focus. Unfortunately, that sight radius was too close to me. I'm hoping that if I put a barrel mount near the muzzle brake, those 2.5" 3" will be enough to give my old eyes a better sight picture. I originally had a handguard that covered the muzzle brake and the sights were perfect for me. I can't cover my muzzle brake now, so I will be losing about 2", but I think that will be ok for me.

RackinRay - I do have an optic mounted on the upper. I just wanted a back-up, just to make sure I got something. Yeah, it's a range toy/truck gun, but I'm a "just in case" kind of guy.

Right now, I will go with an inexpensive barrel mount with picatinny rails on it and see if that will work for me. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I appreciate it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zeroed In - Thanks for the suggestion. I guess "Great Minds," think alike. I temporarily jerry-rigged up a rail last night and mounted the front sight on it just to test my focus. Unfortunately, that sight radius was too close to me. I'm hoping that if I put a barrel mount near the muzzle brake, those 2.5" 3" will be enough to give my old eyes a better sight picture. I originally had a handguard that covered the muzzle brake and the sights were perfect for me. I can't cover my muzzle brake now, so I will be losing about 2", but I think that will be ok for me.

RackinRay - I do have an optic mounted on the upper. I just wanted a back-up, just to make sure I got something. Yeah, it's a range toy/truck gun, but I'm a "just in case" kind of guy.

Right now, I will go with an inexpensive barrel mount with picatinny rails on it and see if that will work for me. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I appreciate it.
    Get a longer picatinney rail that extends a little over the muzzle break-flash hider. Hopefully it with stands the muzzle blast.
    61r6K2tUOdL._SX425_.jpg

Top Bottom