• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For the sake of argument : Can a Florida resident legally buy a rifle or shotgun in Alabama without having to ship it ? I'd assume that the majority of dealers would want to ship to a FFL , but don't know about between private individuals . I'm on the hunt for a couple of particular items & it would increase opportunity . Bunch of shows coming up next few months , guess I'll just have to see which are even worth the effort .

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BATF says FFL transfer required. https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

There's also Military exemptions which are outlined in the BATF info area...

Best of all, BATF has a website which tell you all the above and more :)
    It's like the Bible, best when read for yourself, and not taking anyone's word for it.

Transferring/Shipping/Possession of Firearms:
    4. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to an individual who resides in a different State?
    What if the individual resides within the same State?

Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an
    individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person
    to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must
    be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or
    she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a
    NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov
    and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception
    from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. For
    example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception
    is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition
    by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident
    who inherits a firearm under a will or by State law upon death of the owner. See 18 U.S.C. §
    922(a)(5)(A).
    In regard to transferring firearms between individuals residing in the same state, any person may
    sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the State where he resides as long as he or she does not
    know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing
    firearms under Federal law. Please note that there may be State and local laws that regulate
    firearm transactions. Any person considering acquiring or transferring a firearm should contact
    his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local
    firearms restrictions. A list of State Attorney General contact numbers may be found at
    http://www.naag.org/.

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have to also state that the "Contiguous State" caveat was in play two years ago, but am not sure if it still is in effect. It meant that in "Attached States" like MS, GA, and AL, you could purchase a rifle or shotgun in any FFL store, and as long as you passed the background check, you could take it with you instead of having to ship it. That may have changed recently due to Florida's new laws and there may have even been changes to that Contiguous State caveat in those states and BATF.

Don't know for certain as I've not bought a gun in Alabama or Georgia, but the stores I went to did say that if I bought a Long Gun, that being a Florida resident meant I could take it home with me that day if I passed the background due to the Contiguous State exception. I'd have to ship anyway, due to the company I work for having a "No Weapons" rule whilst driving their vehicles.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I go to the Robertsdale gun show. I show my FLORIDA DL and my FLORIDA CWP . . . I can walk out with any long gun. Pistols and revo's have to be delivered to a FLORIDA FFL.
    I can do the 4473 and walk out the store the same day. No wait. Just for the gun to be physically handed to the gunshop (FFL).
    At least this is the way it used to be. --- SAWMAN

gunny14

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup just bought a long gun in Dothan from a ffl a couple weeks ago and walked out with it with me showing FL DL

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got my granddaughter one of those little Cricket 22's in Dumas AR a month or so back and showed my Florida DL and Florida CCP, filled out the paperwork and was out the door in less than 30 minutes.

Top Bottom