• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Barra FT 5-25x50 second plane, reticle duplex mildot,side focus, 10 yards to infinity. Made in Japan. It doesn’t say it in the listing but Barra optics is going out of business according to one customer on amazon. I sent a email asking the question Three days ago and no response. Their high end scopes were made in Japan by Japan Light Optics. I own two of these scopes and they are amazing. They also have a 2.5x 10-44 that retailed for $900. That one is going for $99. There also is a 1.5-8x32 scope that varies in price. $100 to $127. It retailed for $800. Not a lot of any of the scopes left. Some of the same scopes are listed for more. So make sure to look at all the listings.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Link?
    Edit.....
    I looked them up. There is one for 999 on Amazon.
    All the ones I can find are 133-295
    Not sure if the 295 one is priced high or it's only worth the 133
    I don't know enough about them. May be a good deal for someone

Last edited:

Richard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    They are the same. I’m sure the one that is priced higher is from a seller that paid more before the company decided to liquidate. I personally stick to there higher end scopes that were made in Japan. At a thousand dollar price point scopes will often come with locking turrets. But they are usually made in China. I own over ten of their scopes. Five different models. To difficult these days to start a new scope company. People are really in to brand names. The company that made these make scopes for a bunch of different companies. All high end. No body has a low end scope made in Japan in the last five years. The clarity of their glass is better then my Vortex Vipers. But resale on Vortex and Leupold are way better. I got spoiled with the higher end glass. Back in the spring of 2017I would have paid around $9500 for all of these scopes. I have around $1500 into all ten. They should have went with something different then mil dot reticles.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    maybe they "fell off the back of a truck"...

Richard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Burned on E-bay? I’m not a big fan of E-bay. But you only get burn on items that have a no return policy. I having nothing to do with any of these sellers. Just passing along when I see a deal. Both of my hunting scopes are Bruntons. Same thing happened to them. They got out of the scope business. Both retailed for over a thousand dollars. Made in Japan. Paid just over $200 each. Yes I don’t have a warranty. But I don’t care. I not your typical American who gets excited about a brand. There are three major scope manufacturers in Japan. None of them sell their own brand. They make them for companies that have created a name. Anyone of you who knows how to do your research it’s a great deal. Probably the best deal I’ve ever came a crossed on a scope. How ever if you were to get a defective one then that would be a bummer for sure.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    and burned on paypal too, ebay has really gone down hill and if it seems to be too good to be true, it IS. I have almost stopped doing business with both unless I have to. Good luck

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Richard, in case you haven't noticed, Frank would bitch about getting a B.J. lol JK frank don't red flag me. It is nearly impossible to get burned on Ebay these days, they have a very reasonable return policy, unless you buy from china , even then you get what you pay for. These scopes are a great deal, I bought 2 awhile back and they are every bit as good as any mid priced scope I have had.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Richard, in case you haven't noticed, Frank would bitch about getting a B.J. lol JK frank don't red flag me. It is nearly impossible to get burned on Ebay these days, they have a very reasonable return policy, unless you buy from china , even then you get what you pay for. These scopes are a great deal, I bought 2 awhile back and they are every bit as good as any mid priced scope I have had.

I agree, no red flag..I just know the facts as I have gone thru them...most of fleabay is china and yes I am talking their stuff. However the American sellers are complaining too about charge backs when They know the products have been received...it is a mess over there, scams everywhere!

Richard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Well only three left. The last seller is selling them at $159.95. I bought from six different sellers. Had all of them delivered to me with in two days because of of the sellers were from Georgia. Nikon is getting out of the rifle scope business as well. So if you missed out on the Barra Scope deals. I would watch out for A Nikon. Unfortunately they aren’t made in Japan anymore. (Cost savings move a few years ago.) I have had trouble with E -bay sellers with other merchandise this year. I ended up with getting the merchandise for free. And the last refunded my money. Have to stay on the ball because of time restrictions. I only buy on e-bay if price is substantially less then local or online retailers. Anyhow Merry Christmas to all.

xenscott

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    $1,000 scoped don’t go for a couple of hundred bucks. If that were true CDNN would have bought every one of them.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I guess trijon acog sights didnt sell for 99.00 and VZ girips didn't sell for 9.00 on amazon a few years back either. but mute point anyway cause they are mostly all sold out.

Richard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Right now you can buy Nikon scopes for half off if you search. Nikon is getting out of the rifle scope business. Brunton scopes were selling 70-80 percent off a couple of years ago. Bo Tach Tactical bought them all. And sold them cheap. Barra sold a lot of the scopes to Pawn stores in their home town. Besides listing them on E-bay direct. Pawn stores selling them as well on E-bay. Can't get a link of the E-bay listing to work. But if you simply type in Barra rifle scopes on E-bay they come right up. Stick to the FT models. (Made in Japan.) Ridgerunner gets it. Because he owns a business. I owned a sporting goods store for over thirteen years. When companies are going out they sell stuff cheap. Nikon won't have to discount their scopes as much because they have a brand name. I really hate spending a thousand dollars on a scope when there is a chance it might break and no warranty. I sold my business for a nice profit. Went back to school. Market was changing and time for a change. I hate paying retail for items. Anyhow with so many scope companies I'm sure others will be going out of business as well.

xenscott

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess trijon acog sights didnt sell for 99.00 and VZ girips didn't sell for 9.00 on amazon a few years back either. but mute point anyway cause they are mostly all sold out.

BNIB Acogs never went for $99. Chines Knockoffs and trashed out LEO trade in Mini acogs might have.

epointer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Right now you can buy Nikon scopes for half off if you search. Nikon is getting out of the rifle scope business. Brunton scopes were selling 70-80 percent off a couple of years ago. Bo Tach Tactical bought them all. And sold them cheap. Barra sold a lot of the scopes to Pawn stores in their home town. Besides listing them on E-bay direct. Pawn stores selling them as well on E-bay. Can't get a link of the E-bay listing to work. But if you simply type in Barra rifle scopes on E-bay they come right up. Stick to the FT models. (Made in Japan.) Ridgerunner gets it. Because he owns a business. I owned a sporting goods store for over thirteen years. When companies are going out they sell stuff cheap. Nikon won't have to discount their scopes as much because they have a brand name. I really hate spending a thousand dollars on a scope when there is a chance it might break and no warranty. I sold my business for a nice profit. Went back to school. Market was changing and time for a change. I hate paying retail for items. Anyhow with so many scope companies I'm sure others will be going out of business as well.

Just because an optic is made in Japan does not mean it is good, they will produce to a manufacturers price point.

Richard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ok where can I buy a new scope made in Japan cheap? And with bad reviews? I know Athlon's high end scope is made in Japan. I know Bushnell has their high end scopes made there also. So does Vortex. Japan used to be like china. Not now a days.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It's been awhile, my memory of pricing may have been a little off.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom