• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Am considering getting a 357 carbine / rifle . Was recently looking at 180gr loads for a 180 WFN . 1100-1200 from my 6.5 '' RBH vs 1700-1800 from a longer tube got my attention . So I'm trying to find out what's available & more important what to avoid . I do cast & tend to shoot lead when / where possible . I also want to be able to mount optics .
    So far it seems my best choices in a lever gun are either Marlin or Henry . I'd prefer avoiding a micro groove barrel as that would most likely involve new moulds etc to get an oversize bullet . Models that might work are the Henry Big Boy Steel & the 1894C , 1894CP , 1894 CSS , 1894 CSBL , 1894 CB & the CB Ltd . Marlins listed are ballard rifled supposedly .
    I'm leaning toward a 16 to 18 inch barrel for ease of handling . The Henry is heavier , maybe too heavy . So any info , suggestions would be appreciated .

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got my daughter the brass receiver Henry in 357 for her graduation present. (My rule of thumb is to only gift my kids guns that I might want to borrow one day.) It is sweet to shoot, pretty, not too heavy, accurate enough with the HTP Remington 180s. If I were going to keep it for myself, I'd put a peep sight rear with a bare post front on it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 180 grain load at 1800 fps .357 rifle load is quite close to the old now obsolete 351 Winchester Self-Loading (also called .351 SL or .351 WSL). It was ok for deer.

180 gr (12 g) 1,870 ft/s (570 m/s) 1,400 ft⋅lbf (1,900 J)

From left to right: .35 Winchester Self-Loading, .351 Winchester Self-Loading, .45 ACP
    .35_Winchester_Self-Loading%2C_.351_Winchester_Self-Loading%2C_.45_ACP.jpg

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dont forget to check out the ROSSI 357. about $200 cheaper than the Henry and Marlin.
    About Half the weight of the Henry, I have an old Puma Rossi that i slicked up-smooth ,accurate.
    Only thing i dont like is the side gate loading.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Neither the Uberti or Rossi will feed the 180 WFN . The Rossi rifles have been hit or miss for some time . Plus the 92 action is almost impossible to mount optics unless you want to go the scout route with a EER scope . Been following market prices on GB for guns that actually sold . BNIB Rossi range from 525 to over 600 , BNIB Marlin 1894C between 600 - 650 , Cowboy Model 900 or so . BNIB Henry BBS rifle or carbine are running 600 - 650 . I was hoping someone local would have tried the heavier cast bullets in theirs regardless of make . I'd like to have someone run some of my dummy rounds thru their rifle to verify that they'll actually feed . I know the Henrys are heavy as I have one in 41 mag . It feeds everything I've put thru it & is for a pistol caliber rifle pretty accurate . It'll put a full mag tube of loads it likes into 1.5" @ 100yds . Now I'd like to be able to do the same only with a 357 also . Many shoot the heavier JHP or JSP bullets . Problem is one can not get the same velocity as one can with a cast bullet . I'd rather have a WFN @ 1700-1800fps vs 1350-1400 with jacketed . Now if I was gonna shoot the poodle size deer around here a 158gr bullet would still be overkill . With a heavy cast WFN it'll do a number on a good size hog & if I can't get a behind the ear shot I can go thru both shoulders . Something very few JSP's can do .

pne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Marlin 45/70 and a Rossi 454. Both are accurate but, after polishing the internals, the Rossi is much slicker than the Marlin. However, the Marlin isn't finished yet.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes they all can be slicked up . CASS guys been doing it for years . The point I was trying to make is the Rossi's are a crap shoot . Some are fine out the box , some need some tweaking & unfortunately some will never be right . Add the problem of mounting optics & I'll pass .

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    there is a rossi stainless in .357 in the for sale area...a bit out of my price range, but looks like a nice one.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes that particular rifle was a friends late wife's CASS gun . Has had all the mods & IIRC that gal could run it with two fingers . I'm wanting a field gun to shoot heavy loads from for piglet eradication .

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Neither the Uberti or Rossi will feed the 180 WFN . The Rossi rifles have been hit or miss for some time . Plus the 92 action is almost impossible to mount optics unless you want to go the scout route with a EER scope . Been following market prices on GB for guns that actually sold . BNIB Rossi range from 525 to over 600 , BNIB Marlin 1894C between 600 - 650 , Cowboy Model 900 or so . BNIB Henry BBS rifle or carbine are running 600 - 650 . I was hoping someone local would have tried the heavier cast bullets in theirs regardless of make . I'd like to have someone run some of my dummy rounds thru their rifle to verify that they'll actually feed . I know the Henrys are heavy as I have one in 41 mag . It feeds everything I've put thru it & is for a pistol caliber rifle pretty accurate . It'll put a full mag tube of loads it likes into 1.5" @ 100yds . Now I'd like to be able to do the same only with a 357 also . Many shoot the heavier JHP or JSP bullets . Problem is one can not get the same velocity as one can with a cast bullet . I'd rather have a WFN @ 1700-1800fps vs 1350-1400 with jacketed . Now if I was gonna shoot the poodle size deer around here a 158gr bullet would still be overkill . With a heavy cast WFN it'll do a number on a good size hog & if I can't get a behind the ear shot I can go thru both shoulders . Something very few JSP's can do .

I too have a .41 mag Henry and I love it. I seem to get the same exults with my load out that you do. It is a fine shooting rifle out to 100yards. I also picked up a Rossi .44mag recently and would love to find a .38/.357 rifle to do basically the same that you are trying to achieve. I have two Rossi .44mags and after a good fluff and buff they are great rifles. I would love to have the .357 that is posted her on the forum however I would be paying more for one rifle than I paid for both my 44mags. I sent the op a PM hopefully he will come down some. I have never seen a Rossi being sold for that kind of money. Especially one that has been used well in the CBASS. Either ya I’m on the hunt for a .357 levergun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    VERY late to the conversation, but I wanted to share that I really like my Marlin 1894 CSS. It is very accurate with the Beartooth lead 185 gr FNGC loaded at COAL of 1.615. My aging brain thinks I may have altered the lifter to accept a longer cartridge. The rifling in the 18.5" barrel looks like six grooves to me. It currently has a Williams peep with a green Firedot up front (harvested a hog), but due to aging (!) eyes I will probably install a reflex red dot soon.

Dave308

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im very late to the conversation as well but I will vote the Henry. Mine has been great even being able to cycle some cast bullets. Im sure Marlins are good too but I cannot get past the cross bolt safety and so I will never buy one.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If your Marlin will feed a 185 FNGC @ 1.615 OAL lifter was definately modified . Seems a little file work on lifter tab does the trick . FWIW I went with a T/C Encore in 357 Max with a 20" 1 in 16 twist MGM barrel . I can shoot even heavier cast bullets faster than any 357 mag . Getting close to 35 Rem performance .

Top Bottom