• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What would this do on deer?

Since it's a varmint round, I'd say it'd cripple a deer and it will have a slow painful death. Not many people can accurately make exact placement shots to ethically dispatch a deer with a .223, even tho they think they can. Paper targets don't move unexpectedly like an animal will. just my .02

But I like it for 'yotes.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Since it's a varmint round, I'd say it'd cripple a deer and it will have a slow painful death. Not many people can accurately make exact placement shots to ethically dispatch a deer with a .223, even tho they think they can. Paper targets don't move unexpectedly like an animal will. just my .02

But I like it for 'yotes.

I should have put a smiley face behind that.
    Small game yes, deer sized never. If I'm deer hunting it has a .30 or bigger in front of what ever I'm shooting. Sitting in a deer stand right now with 30-30 160 gr leverevolution. Would like to hunt deer with the .223 but just dont think it has enough ass to get the job done cleanly, just me.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would you ever hunt deer with a 44 mag ?? How about a black powder gun ?? A gun like you had pictured in camo ?? ---SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do a comparison of energy delivered at target at 50,100,and 150yds between the 5.56X45,>50gr,and my above mentioned. While your at it,think about penetration,availability of good bullets,including partition,Barnes TSX/TTSX,and Hornady GMX,and trajectory potentials.
    Just food for thought. Is the 223/5.56 my first choice for deer ?? NO Have I killed deer and larger hogs with a 223Rem ?? YES Quite a few. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Do a comparison of energy delivered at target at 50,100,and 150yds between the 5.56X45,>50gr,and my above mentioned. While your at it,think about penetration,availability of good bullets,including partition,Barnes TSX/TTSX,and Hornady GMX,and trajectory potentials.
    Just food for thought. Is the 223/5.56 my first choice for deer ?? NO Have I killed deer and larger hogs with a 223Rem ?? YES Quite a few. --- SAWMAN

Yes, it will kill a deer. Yes, I could shoot accurately enough to put the round in the pump room. If the deer moves and they do I could futz the shot and miss a kill shot. The larger/heavy bullet drops it right there if I'm off a few inches.

I have no dought that the .233 will kill and it makes great power. I would use it for yotes and similar sized game without a 2nd thought.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I could probably hunt the 90lb NW Florida whitetail deer with my 416Rigby but I opt for the 223Rem. I KNOW that shot placement is first priority. Chambering used falls in line somewhere behind that.
    But . . . that's just me. ---SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In ref to OP: I looked at the Mfr Site, the claim of 4K fps in .223. is with very light 35 grain .223 projectiles and reference to 24 inch Test Barrels. Nothing new there, light for caliber bullet through a long barrel = Zoom zoom. If, you want the 4K FPS barrel wear.

UMC.223/55 from a 24 inch delivers 3211 FPS. Hornady "new stuff" .223/55FTX 3240 FPS: that's whopping 29 FPS increase and a bit short of their general claim. Apples to Apples.

The average .223/5.56 AR runs a 16 inch barrel and doesn't achieve cartridge maximum muzzle velocity potential. Military has gone with heavier projectiles not lighter.

IMHO, YMMV.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I watched my son dropped a doe in her tracks with a neck shot using a 22-250 at 100 yds. Devastating energy delivery and damage to a critical area. As noted above - the ability to put the round on target is critical.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    As stated by WR,most manufacturers listed ballistics are either intentionally BS or their testing parameters are different than most of us actually see/use in real life.
    This is also true with info from powder and bullet manufacturers. If you read the "fine print" some use,for their test bbl,something abnormally . . L. O. N. G.
    223Rem loads using a 22 or 24 inch test bbl. A 30-06 or 308 using a 26 inch bbl. Same with 270Win. 357mag all using a 6 inch bbl. You MUST read the fine print. Real vels are critical for setting up your scope. ( B.C.'a are also . . but to a lesser degree)
    THUMB RULE - - -> the lighter bullets for any caliber are mostly designed for varmints. They have thinner jackets,usually with deeper hollow point cavities and are sometimes pre-fractured.
    I can shoot a 30 or 35gr out of my 28" 22-250 at 4300+. Great for a deer high neck or square side of the head hit. But why would I want to limit myself to that. Instead . . . a 53gr Barnes TSX at 3750 will do me just fine hitting a deer or hog anywhere (chest,heart/lung) that I would normally hit them with my 308Win or 45-70. --- SAWMAN

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure how many deer have been killed at my place with a 223 but it's been a few. I believe only a couple ran 40-50 yards and piled up. I personally like neck shots and when a high velocity round hits, it snaps...when you hit it in the boiler room it gels everything in the cavity...Only issue would be when folks punch shoulders (still not sure why folks like this cause there ain't much meat on the shoulders and when you punch it, you don't get alot off em...

This would be a cool round fer varmint hunting though!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Never done a neck shot. Dont know anything about it. Is that a viable target with the .223? Im 2 for 2 on hornet nest kicking so I'll go for 3 - Also what twist I'm guessing 1:9 ?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Years ago when the 220 swift came out it was popular for a while as a big game cartridge with a 40 grain bullet at 4000+ fps second. It either worked real well or at other times animals with huge shallow wound craters ran off to die. Much earlier people were into the savage .22 highpower. I seem to remember a neighbors boy bragging that his grand father in Canada many years ago, killed a grizzly with a .22 high power.
    70 gr (5 g) 3,100 ft/s (940 m/s) 1,493 ft⋅lbf (2,024 J)
    Middle round is the .22 savage high power cartridge. it is still popular in europe for hunting Roe deer
    A .22 Savage Hi-Power cartridge next to a metric/imperial ruler with .223 Remington and .308 Winchester cartridges for comparison.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/.22_savage_with_.223_Rem_and_.308_Win.JPG
    .22_savage_with_.223_Rem_and_.308_Win.JPG

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For unhurried controlled shots from a seasoned hunter most any centerfire rifle will suffice for game the size of Florida deer. If the hunter is excited or nervous, then things change in a hurry, and bigger more powerful caliber rifles are needed.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    As I get older and more shakey I have been using more and more powerful rifles.
    I'm using my 458Lott this year. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand people enjoy additional challenges with different calibers, bows and BP, that's fine as long as they have proficiency. I believe Hunters should respect their quarry by using a weapon that will deliver a clean, fast kill within their capabilities and have personal integrity to resist temptations of questionable shots. We need to encompass our young Hunters and be prepared to back them up too. IMHO

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And . . . as time goes on I have seen (witnessed ) more and more hunters NOT willing to put in the necessary time,effort,and gain the proper knowledge,for tracking,finding,and recovering both wounded or dead deer.
    Father to son/daughter - - -> teach them,teach them right. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom