Patriot Mobile

Need opinions on wierd inquiry to my Armslist 45 cal for sale ad -Scam?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camuchi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So the Taurus 1911 45 I have fs on here is also on armslist Mobile Alabama.
    Last night I got an inquiry from a guy in Florida that wants to buy it full price offer ($475)-great right? Says he has an FFL to use and sends me copy of FFL license which appears to be a legit goldmine pawn in new port ritchey Florida near Tampa. Guy wants to send me cashiers check with shipment from my FFL here in Alabama after it clears.

Am I paranoid or is it odd that he is shopping for an average Taurus 1911 out of Mobile Alabama ?? And no pushback on the price of gun or need to add fees from the Alabama FFL ? He will be over $500-525 on this 400-450$ gun

Seems scammy/odd to me.

What do you folks think ??

Thanks

Last edited:

DFSgunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Scam, total scam. Had almost the same interaction with a guy out of south Florida. He sent me a fake cashiers check that didn’t look fake to me but my bank enlightened me to the fact that it was and then treated me like the criminal. Even after I explained the situation in entirety. The bank had me talk to the cops. They said there was nothing they could do and nothing ever came of it but it was a huge waste of time.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    IDK, maybe, maybe not? But I do the choosing for the FFL, not the buyer. Then I know I am dealing with a legit FFL. I'll call them and explain what we're doing, etc., offer extra $$ for their time by Not allowing the firearm to leave their possession without me 1st authorizing it's release, which is when I have the cash in my hand, not a piece of paper.
    I've done the same if buying from someone. I have them take their firearm to the FFL I chose, and ask that the FFL inspect it for me and hold it, and offer FFL extra for ensuring a honest deal/transaction. You gotta watch your own back when dealing with strangers. g/l

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ATF has a Web site wher you can type in FFL # and check the validity and address.

Is the payment type offered an option you asked for in Ad? If not, just request buyer use your prefered method. Also be aware that SCAMS often sent higher amounts and want you to refund the excess (got this bank check/money order for another purchase that fell through going to use it for this buy) HELL NO!!!

Any financial documents MUST CLEAR before you Ship. Will your bank charge you on bounced checks from outside sources you try to cash?

camuchi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks guys

I say forget em
    Too many red flags.
    I had another guy a couple weeks ago contact me about the gcgf ad for this same gun with a Detroit area code ‘ “just moved here” , “ live in pcola now” “ can mail you money “
    etc.
    Dude got pissy when I questioned the Detroit area code shopping the pcola forum and told me to mind my own business !

Cleared him up that selling a firearm to someone IS totally my business and responsibility to know and confirm who I’m dealing with and selling to. He went silent...

As Barney Miller said “Let’s be careful out there”

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just because the check initially clears, don’t mean it’s good to go. Your bank could take the funds back out of your account even 30 days later.

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL

USPS Money order only. Go to the post office and cash it, then ship.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is definitely a scam. I have a few guns I want to sell, but it’s not important enough to put up with all the bullshit from the scammers. I guess I’ll just limit my sales to friends and the folks I’ve done business with before.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I never ever use Armslist and plan on never going to that site ever. Way too much BS....

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone offering a Cashier's Check is a straight up scam.

USPostalService money orders are usually solid...BUT there can be fake ones as well...so ya gotta watch those carefully as big bills.

Trinity

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a similar dealing with that user when I sold my Sig 2022. No haggle, sent me what looked like a real FFL, said he could only do cashiers check because he didn't have a PayPal or debit card. He went silent when I asked him how he would get the cashiers check without having a bank account.

Top Bottom