APOD Firearms

So what does a Scar 16s do that a PSA Freedom AR dosent?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMHO . . . nada for the "normal/average" shooter.
    The quality is there obviously. If I had to bet my life everyday on a weapon I would pick the SCAR . . IF . . the parts were free and forthcoming.
    THEN - - -> there is a "look at me while I am at the range" thing. Kinda like when your there bangin' away with your Hi Point and NcStar scope . . . only just the opposite.
    I would never buy one. I can name another 10 or so weapons that I would spend my $2500 on.
    But . . . ? . . . I have a $7000. optic (thermal) sittin' on one of my rifles. Soooooooooooo . . . --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The PSA is a range toy. There’s not a LE department or military unit in the world that issues them. Not saying you need a scar either, as there are plenty of quality rifles in between. There’s a reason rifles like KAC, HK, LMT, DD, and evening BCM and Colt fetch a premium over the PSA $300 ARs.

Out before all the “just as good as” minions show up. You do you boo

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL

For a major military service to adopt a weapon, it must fulfill various requested specifications and that often dramatically increases the price and hopefully the reliability. The reliability depends on how well the gun is assembled and also the dimensions-tolerances and the quality of the parts.
    For ARs from what I have read there is normally is not so much difference for the upper and lower receivers and it is what parts are used and how correctly it is put together.
    A big question for me is if I take a low end upper and put it on a lower with a different after market trigger, just how far behind the curve am I. This is assuming that I take the time to trouble shoot the little bugs and such that need to be fix versus spending 2-3 X's more and often even the expensive units do need something fixed or tweaked.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    "For the record" . . . I believe that the LWRC,Danial Defense,Wilson Combat,and some of the other AR's that cost $2000+ are overpriced also. Same as the $2000+ 1911's. --- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's like asking what a Cadillac CTS-V does that a Geo Metro doesn't.
    It's about quality and attention to detail. Both will take you to work, but one has a higher quality.
    PSA has absolutely ruined the the AR market with their low end crap and people trying to make direct comparisons as "just as good" to higher quality brands.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "For the record" . . . I believe that the LWRC,Danial Defense,Wilson Combat,and some of the other AR's that cost $2000+ are overpriced also. Same as the $2000+ 1911's. --- SAWMAN
    If people will pay it, I guess many will ask for those amounts.

I recently paid about $900 for an Alexander Arms Upper in 6.5 g. i paid that amount because I wanted it done right and I was convinced that since the 6.5 g was sort of their in house thing it would be. So far I am happy with it. Just about everybody does 5.56 these days and after more than half a century it is not so hard to do it right. For high end you want the best barrel and to have the barrel set up right, but really where I would spend the money is where Sawman states about aiming systems.
    ARs are about the most accurate common rifles out there short of bench rest and dedicated sniping rifles. Decent sighting systems are needed to use them properly in the real world if hitting at any distance is a goal.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Good points, they way I see it, there's no way to know who made the parts that are in these $2k guns. Sure they can tell you anything. Also now you can buy parts to bring the quality up (if even needed)to the big money guns.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Personally I have put tens of rounds through each of my PSA ARs without a single failure!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If hit by a Geo Metro while walking across Hwy.98 in Navarre,will it kill you ??
    Strange comparison in your above . . . ?? I definitely see your point though . . . a Geo Metro is not overly "tactical" so why would anybody want to buy one. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    IMHO . . . nada for the "normal/average" shooter.
    The quality is there obviously. If I had to bet my life everyday on a weapon I would pick the SCAR . . IF . . the parts were free and forthcoming.
    THEN - - -> there is a "look at me while I am at the range" thing. Kinda like when your there bangin' away with your Hi Point and NcStar scope . . . only just the opposite.
    I would never buy one. I can name another 10 or so weapons that I would spend my $2500 on.
    But . . . ? . . . I have a $7000. optic (thermal) sittin' on one of my rifles. Soooooooooooo . . . --- SAWMAN

Sawman came close to a good reason in his "look at me" sentence. The reason is that Chicks dig it! So, it depends upon WHO is seeing you shooting it.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't count how many times I bought a budget item just to return it and spend the extra $$ for the better item, most times you get what you pay for. I always upgrade most of my weapons for better parts after I see what I like. If your going to war you don't buy a PSA for $499 and hope for the best. That being said I do own a PSA AR pistol I got for $499.:drum:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't count how many times I bought a budget item just to return it and spend the extra $$ for the better item, most times you get what you pay for. I always upgrade most of my weapons for better parts after I see what I like. If your going to war you don't buy a PSA for $499 and hope for the best. That being said I do own a PSA AR pistol I got for $499.:drum:

Any details on the budget item ARs that you returned to spend extra for the better item? How is the PSA pistol holding up?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Kind of comparing apples and oranges... the scar platform is pretty dissimilar to a DI AR Platform.

The Scars definitely get a lot of hate, mainly by folks that have never shot one... I personally love my 17, and would bet good money it would run longer than most any sr25 DI platform out there.

The PSA is fine if you're going to shoot a few hundred rounds at the range, outfit it with a Bushnell red dot, and get a punisher sticker on your truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Is there a difference?

Can you tell the difference? If not, get the PSA.

Attachments

• mona lisa.png
      mona lisa.png
      24.2 KB · Views: 208
    • velvet elvis.jpg
      velvet elvis.jpg
      11.3 KB · Views: 212

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The SCAR is the choice for those that will be shooting 10,000+ rds thru a gun.
    Those of you here that will be doing that . . . please raise your hand.
    THEN - - -> let's talk OEM parts and aftermarket parts availability and ummmmmmm . . . COST. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If I shot as much as Swartz then I am sure I could see the difference in the way the parts hold up. Unfortunately I probably have not shot as many rounds in my life as he does every year.

Top Bottom