Patriot Mobile

Any reason not to use slick sided upper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Picked up an AR pistol with one on it. I think I like it better. Never use the forward assist, something wrong? STOP SHOOTING and not worried about dirt.

Also is there a bolt with a charging handle?, hate that $hitstick plunger.

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    dust cover for me is a needed part. the forward assist? not really an issue so much. in almost 30 years of shooting the AR platform, ive only used a forward assist a handful of times. dirty ammo in a high volume class, under powered range crap ammo, and a badly worn buffer spring. so if not worried about a dust cover, i see no real reason not to. they do look pretty nice all slick though...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Like CES,my dust covers are always closed. For carry,sitting,while hunting,and storage. The forward assist is used for hunting. For quiet loading before heading to a stand. Carrier locked open. Safety on. Round dropped directly into chamber. Action slowly closed by "riding" the charging handle home. Bolt turned in by using forward assist. Mag inserted.
    No dust cover . . . the only complaint that I have against my side chargers.
    Just the way that I have been doing it for years. YMMV. ---- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Like CES,my dust covers are always closed. For carry,sitting,while hunting,and storage. The forward assist is used for hunting. For quiet loading before heading to a stand. Carrier locked open. Safety on. Round dropped directly into chamber. Action slowly closed by "riding" the charging handle home. Bolt turned in by using forward assist. Mag inserted.
    No dust cover . . . the only complaint that I have against my side chargers.
    Just the way that I have been doing it for years. YMMV. ---- SAWMAN

On the side charger, couldn't you just push the bolt home with your thumb? If anything I'd think it would be easier? No futzing around with the dipstick.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With the sidecharger it is not a closing the action thing. I simply push the carrier handle home with my thumb and finger. It is a debris in the action thing. (No dustcover.) --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom