Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

22LR

100 grain 38 caliber lead double-ended wadcutter

I need help!! Someone gave me a large quantity of hard cast 100 grain 38 cal wadcutters that are flat on both ends (like a barrel). I would like to load some for a lady who hates the recoil of her 38 spcl. But I can't find a powder recipe anywhere. I've done a google search and found some 32 cal. recopies but not sure they would work for the 38. So I thought I would ask if anyone knows or has a load they would recommend? Thanks

22LR
    I looked through all my manuals and nothing specific. A search of the site http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ will show several threads of similar discussion. As for me I would pick the data for a 110gr jacketed use the lowend and work up a load from there.

50 CAL
    loaded them a long time ago, you can't load them to hot they will roll or tumble. use a fast burning power they were a lot fun to shoot did for the same reason you are doing. May have to use something over the power, . start with about 1.5 of bullseye and go to about 2.5 just play with it. just load one at a time and try it. I have some loading date some place. Just my 5 cents jj any question call I want do a lot of texting.

It is a lead bullet not a jacked one and you want to get a good power burn.
    Last edited by oneshot; 11-08-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: add inform.

If the loads are light, make sure you do not double charge a case.

22LR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    start with about 1.5 of bullseye and go to about 2.5 just play with it.
    Thanks for the reply. I thought I saw something in one of my searches of a 4.2 Bullseye load. Yesterday I loaded several with that load and was going to test it this morning. Then I saw your post and hesitated. How did you come by the 1.5 to 2.5 load? I am going to disassemble the rounds that I did and take your advice since I have no idea of my own. I will report back when I check the load. Thanks again...

22LR
    4.2 of bullseye is really going to sling that little bullet. I use 4.0 gr and less pushing a 200 gr lead bullet from my .45 acp at about 675-700 fps.

Tumbling barrels sound like a hell of a good sd round.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.

50 CAL
    I come by it this way .... 2.7 is a load for 148 HB wc for a 38 spec for a S W model 52. more then this it will tumble , and you said you wanted a light load for some one to shoot , have used 3 grn. all so can also use www 230 any of the fat burn powders you want to play around 700-x will work all so GD- and Red dot. could use a little more any of these. use comm. sense. If you want some vel. load to it tumbles then back off. If you don;t double load you don;t have any thing to worry about but don't think think you want that 4.2 but if it works go for it. just my 5 cents jj

22LR

38 double end Wadcutter

I use 3.0 grains of Tightgroup to push my 147 gr. Wadcutters. Should also work with 100 Grain too.