Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Long range handgun shootiing.

Just when you think your a competent handgun shooter, start increasing the range. 50 yards is tough even with a 2x scope. By the end of 50 rounds I was in pizza box group territory. 100 yards seems impossible.(bullet drops +8 inches) 240grhp I was shooting the .44 Redhawk today free standing and the confidence in my shooting skills are crushed. I have a shooting stick and probably need to try it next time. I think it's gonna take 100's of rounds to get the hang of it. May switch to a red dot, seems like I shoot better using them.

Red dot that can handle the recoil? Is the TRS-25 up to this task?

One man with a gun can control 100 without one.

I’d bump it at least to a PA / Holosun / Sig if you’re using a .44.

Ultradot
    What gets to me is the somewhat unremarkable incrementalism that creeps up on people who are sitting still. All around them things are moving along and one day they realize that just because they're not bothering anyone, it doesn't necessarily follow that no one's going to bother them.

45 ACP
    In silhouette pistol, I at one time had NRA master and IHMSA international classifications at long range (big bore) standing pistol.

For most folks, there is a 3-7 second window of minimal gun movement that occurs somewhere between 8 and 20 seconds after you raise the gun and try to aim it at the target. At 50 yards, if your hold is pizza box sized, you may see a fairly short period of time where the "flight of the butterfly" movement of the sight is maybe basketball sized. If you are dry firing at 10 yards, it may be half-dollar sized. The trick is to make the trigger break during the period of minimal movement without jerking it.

When I set the shot shot up, I take three breaths (to run about 10 seconds off the clock without having to think about it) and then hold my breath and then I start putting pressure on the trigger to break it smoothly when (if) the gun settles into the minimal wobble. At that time, I am thinking almost exclusively about moving (steadily increasing pressure) on my trigger finger. My brain doesn't want the shot to break if it doesn't perceive that the gun is pointed at the target, and I have to overcome that and make it shoot smoothly when it is in minimal wobble and is on the target most of the time. This is very difficult to do without practice. Dry firing or shooting targets with an air gun or .22 is cheaper than with a big bore pistol.

Until you learn how to do this, I think magnification will work against you, because you will perceive more movement in the sights and more apparent time spent off-target. Once you get good, the magnification will help you determine when the minimum wobble point has been reached, but once you are good, there won't be much difference between open sight shooting and scope gun shooting in good light.

We have silhouette matches at PRPC twice a month.

Quote Originally Posted by joraca View Post
    In silhouette pistol, I at one time had NRA master and IHMSA international classifications at long range (big bore) standing pistol.

For most folks, there is a 3-7 second window of minimal gun movement that occurs somewhere between 8 and 20 seconds after you raise the gun and try to aim it at the target. At 50 yards, if your hold is pizza box sized, you may see a fairly short period of time where the "flight of the butterfly" movement of the sight is maybe basketball sized. If you are dry firing at 10 yards, it may be half-dollar sized. The trick is to make the trigger break during the period of minimal movement without jerking it.

When I set the shot shot up, I take three breaths (to run about 10 seconds off the clock without having to think about it) and then hold my breath and then I start putting pressure on the trigger to break it smoothly when (if) the gun settles into the minimal wobble. At that time, I am thinking almost exclusively about moving (steadily increasing pressure) on my trigger finger. My brain doesn't want the shot to break if it doesn't perceive that the gun is pointed at the target, and I have to overcome that and make it shoot smoothly when it is in minimal wobble and is on the target most of the time. This is very difficult to do without practice. Dry firing or shooting targets with an air gun or .22 is cheaper than with a big bore pistol.

Until you learn how to do this, I think magnification will work against you, because you will perceive more movement in the sights and more apparent time spent off-target. Once you get good, the magnification will help you determine when the minimum wobble point has been reached, but once you are good, there won't be much difference between open sight shooting and scope gun shooting in good light.

We have silhouette matches at PRPC twice a month.
    Thanks. I think I'd do better with the irons, but my old eyes cant see them and the target. Trigger is very good on the redhawk. Even in DA. My father used to shoot an old blackhawk I dont think he even used the sights, point and bang, on target.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.

45 ACP
    Seeing the target clearly will make you feel better, but probably won't very much help you hit it. I've shot a lot of long range silhouette matches with Gordon Rysavvy in Houston Texas, who held the IHMSA record for iron sight standing. He shot wearing his computer glasses, and said he could not tell which way the turkeys (at 150 yards) were facing.

With irons, I shoot using approximately computer glasses so I can see the front sight clearly. Target definition is poor, unless I've got a diopter on. I'm 66.

RR 1969,how old are your eyes ? After I turned 40 , I needed a new prescription about evey 2 years till I hit 50 or so. joraca, mentions "computer classes" that allow you to see your sights clearly and the distance 100 yd + targets not so clearly.
    If you wear glasses there are a few tricks that don't cost several hundred dollars that will allow you to see your sights clearly. I'm 73,
    Last edited by Baddog 0302; 11-04-2019 at 10:05 AM.