Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DZIDPA November Match Cancelled - Please Read

Shooters,
    I unfortunately have to announce that John and I have chosen to cancel the IDPA match for this Sunday November 3rd due to a lack of interest. There have been only 24 shooters sign up and although we love to shoot and bring everyone 7 sanction level style stages, that number of shooters just doesnít warrant both of us spending two full days preparing and holding the match. We have varied from 45 shooters to under 25 shooters since we moved to Southern Tactical Range. We were above 30 shooters consistently when we were at Oak Ridge Indoor Range on a Tuesday night. We want to provide the best Tier 1 match in Northwest Florida and the surrounding areas but we need commitment from shooters to be able to do that. We are not cancelling the match for good but we are re-evaluating when and how we hold the match and would like your input. Is Sunday not ideal for you? Would Saturday be a better day? Would you be willing to show up early on a Saturday to set up 7 stages? Please let us know what you think, we value your opinion and want to provide a great shooting experience for everyone.

Thank you,
    Michael Osban & John Hilterman
    Match Directors

9MM
    If setup is same day, I can certainly get there early to help setup. The long drive prevents me from helping when they are done separate days. either way, I'm usually at the matches. Sad to hear it is cancelled as I was looking forward to it

Been wanting to come out and shoot there but Sunday just does not work for us. Saturday is better. Don't expect you to change your match day for just the two of us but if it does change to Saturday then we should be able to start shooting your match. We would show up early to help with setup.

4. Likes vincec's Post:

Mike - I don’t think I ever missed a Tuesday match. Sunday’s don’t work for me - but would be glad to show up early to help on Saturday’s.

6. Likes RussSurfs's Post:

I already replied to the email, but Saturdays work better for me than Sundays. Iíll be honest, I donít like showing up early to setup, but I donít mind staying after to help break it down.

I was very disappointed to see the match voluntarily cancelled for low enrollment. I canít think of any other match at other local clubs that Iíve ever signed up for being cancelled for that reason. I took off work because of the advertisement of the championship stages being shot. If it had been weather or other emergency/unforeseen circumstances I would have understood. Just my opinion, but I thought that was kind of crappy.

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL
    Deadly Threat Defense LLC - Your source for affordable firearms training near Pensacola, FL

Charles,

Sorry you felt it was “crappy” of us to cancel the match for low attendance. Mike and I always try to put on a GOOD 7 stage match every month but it’s a LOT of work. We don’t mind doing that work if we have enough interest but with less than 20 shooters signed up, we both agreed we needed to cancel. If we didn’t provide you enough cancellation notice on your first match with us at Southern Tactical, we apologize.

Lastly, Mike and I received your email voicing your displeasure on our decision to cancel the match. I’m not sure why you felt the need to raise those concerns here publicly.

Hope to see you at our next match.

John Hilterman

DZIDPA November Match Cancelled - Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by johnhilterman View Post
    Charles,

Sorry you felt it was ďcrappyĒ of us to cancel the match for low attendance. Mike and I always try to put on a GOOD 7 stage match every month but itís a LOT of work. We donít mind doing that work if we have enough interest but with less than 20 shooters signed up, we both agreed we needed to cancel. If we didnít provide you enough cancellation notice on your first match with us at Southern Tactical, we apologize.

Lastly, Mike and I received your email voicing your displeasure on our decision to cancel the match. Iím not sure why you felt the need to raise those concerns here publicly.

Hope to see you at our next match.

John Hilterman
    I wasnít trying to offend you, but rather give you an honest and assertive opinion, one that you asked for on a public forum. I recognize the hard work match directors have to put in to hold these matches and I applaud you. I enjoyed the Tuesday night matches at Oak Ridge, and I think I only missed 1 or maybe 2 of those, and I normally helped setup, tear down, and SO. I appreciate the invite to attend your next match; Iíve heard from other shooters that your putting on a good one, but I donít think Iíd go out of my way to attend a match just to risk it cancelled for low attendance. I think instead of canceling the match to re-evaluating your approach, it would have been a better option to go ahead with the match, and then reach out after for feedback to attract more shooters. Voluntary cancellations are not a way to attract shooters. Just one manís opinion. I have nothing against you John.

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL
    Last edited by CESwartz07; 11-07-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Deadly Threat Defense LLC - Your source for affordable firearms training near Pensacola, FL

22LR
    Hey Mike & John!
    I understand about the concerns on low attendance and I appreciate you asking for feed back regarding scheduling. I really enjoy coming to these events and I think that what you guys "put into" these matches is quite impressive. I know its ALOT of work and I don't think that most people understand how complex and intensive it is to put on a match... all for the LOVE of the SPORT... I feel like I have learned a great deal from these matches and have met a lot of good people. I wish I could attend every match but that just is not in the cards. I hope that we are able to have another match soon and maybe we can all put our heads together and make some since of this. Thanks again or all your hard work!

Best Regards,

Keith (kdsdiver)

22LR
    A quick thought! Maybe rotating between Saturdays and Sundays every other month. New faces and shooters might be attracted to something like this... Flyers at local stores might help also... That is what got me hooked at Oak Ridge... The flyer on the door.
    Just a thought.

Keith (kdsdiver)

Kieth,
    John and I really appreciate your comments and your constructive suggestions on scheduling ideas to improve the attendance of the match. As you stated, John and I do this match because we LOVE IDPA. We have taken suggestions from this thread and ones we've received via email and we think we have a solution that will work for us and for everyone who enjoys DZIDPA. Please look for an email and post on this forum describing how we plan on moving forward with the match.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdsdiver View Post
    Hey Mike & John!
    I understand about the concerns on low attendance and I appreciate you asking for feed back regarding scheduling. I really enjoy coming to these events and I think that what you guys "put into" these matches is quite impressive. I know its ALOT of work and I don't think that most people understand how complex and intensive it is to put on a match... all for the LOVE of the SPORT... I feel like I have learned a great deal from these matches and have met a lot of good people. I wish I could attend every match but that just is not in the cards. I hope that we are able to have another match soon and maybe we can all put our heads together and make some since of this. Thanks again or all your hard work!

Best Regards,

Keith (kdsdiver)