• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Shooters,
    I unfortunately have to announce that John and I have chosen to cancel the IDPA match for this Sunday November 3rd due to a lack of interest. There have been only 24 shooters sign up and although we love to shoot and bring everyone 7 sanction level style stages, that number of shooters just doesn’t warrant both of us spending two full days preparing and holding the match. We have varied from 45 shooters to under 25 shooters since we moved to Southern Tactical Range. We were above 30 shooters consistently when we were at Oak Ridge Indoor Range on a Tuesday night. We want to provide the best Tier 1 match in Northwest Florida and the surrounding areas but we need commitment from shooters to be able to do that. We are not cancelling the match for good but we are re-evaluating when and how we hold the match and would like your input. Is Sunday not ideal for you? Would Saturday be a better day? Would you be willing to show up early on a Saturday to set up 7 stages? Please let us know what you think, we value your opinion and want to provide a great shooting experience for everyone.

Thank you,
    Michael Osban & John Hilterman
    Match Directors

jam0066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If setup is same day, I can certainly get there early to help setup. The long drive prevents me from helping when they are done separate days. either way, I'm usually at the matches. Sad to hear it is cancelled as I was looking forward to it

vincec

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Been wanting to come out and shoot there but Sunday just does not work for us. Saturday is better. Don't expect you to change your match day for just the two of us but if it does change to Saturday then we should be able to start shooting your match. We would show up early to help with setup.

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mike - I don’t think I ever missed a Tuesday match. Sunday’s don’t work for me - but would be glad to show up early to help on Saturday’s.

johnhilterman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Charles,

Sorry you felt it was “crappy” of us to cancel the match for low attendance. Mike and I always try to put on a GOOD 7 stage match every month but it’s a LOT of work. We don’t mind doing that work if we have enough interest but with less than 20 shooters signed up, we both agreed we needed to cancel. If we didn’t provide you enough cancellation notice on your first match with us at Southern Tactical, we apologize.

Lastly, Mike and I received your email voicing your displeasure on our decision to cancel the match. I’m not sure why you felt the need to raise those concerns here publicly.

Hope to see you at our next match.

John Hilterman

kdsdiver

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Mike & John!
    I understand about the concerns on low attendance and I appreciate you asking for feed back regarding scheduling. I really enjoy coming to these events and I think that what you guys "put into" these matches is quite impressive. I know its ALOT of work and I don't think that most people understand how complex and intensive it is to put on a match... all for the LOVE of the SPORT... I feel like I have learned a great deal from these matches and have met a lot of good people. I wish I could attend every match but that just is not in the cards. I hope that we are able to have another match soon and maybe we can all put our heads together and make some since of this. Thanks again or all your hard work!

Best Regards,

Keith (kdsdiver)

kdsdiver

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A quick thought! Maybe rotating between Saturdays and Sundays every other month. New faces and shooters might be attracted to something like this... Flyers at local stores might help also... That is what got me hooked at Oak Ridge... The flyer on the door.
    Just a thought.

Keith (kdsdiver)

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Kieth,
    John and I really appreciate your comments and your constructive suggestions on scheduling ideas to improve the attendance of the match. As you stated, John and I do this match because we LOVE IDPA. We have taken suggestions from this thread and ones we've received via email and we think we have a solution that will work for us and for everyone who enjoys DZIDPA. Please look for an email and post on this forum describing how we plan on moving forward with the match.
    Hey Mike & John!
    I understand about the concerns on low attendance and I appreciate you asking for feed back regarding scheduling. I really enjoy coming to these events and I think that what you guys "put into" these matches is quite impressive. I know its ALOT of work and I don't think that most people understand how complex and intensive it is to put on a match... all for the LOVE of the SPORT... I feel like I have learned a great deal from these matches and have met a lot of good people. I wish I could attend every match but that just is not in the cards. I hope that we are able to have another match soon and maybe we can all put our heads together and make some since of this. Thanks again or all your hard work!

Best Regards,

Keith (kdsdiver)

SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Saturdays have always been the better option. However, finding an open Saturday without local conflict will be difficult.
    Good luck!

hey.moe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mike & John,

First off, thanks for your consistent efforts to put on a premier match. It's obvious that you're in it for the love of the sport. So, I can understand your frustration with the declining attendance and in particular the low level of participation in the November match. I know that you've both got lives to manage at the same time you're devoting a tremendous amount of time and effort to this endeavor.

And now the "however." I think you misinterpreted the lack of participation as a lack of interest. There may be any number of reasons for this, but as a frequent competitor in several matches throughout the area I've noticed a marked and general decline in participation at all of them. I think this is part of cyclical variation.

In order to attract an impressive crowd all that's needed is some kind of novelty. Curiosity is a powerful magnet. To keep people coming back is a different story. Then it becomes a matter of consistent excellence to build a good reputation, and very importantly, getting the word out. And you did that really well at Oak Ridge. So, bottom line, I think you got discouraged too easily.

Had I been asked, I'd have advised you to continue with the November match, document it extensively with photos and video, and afterward, publicize how great it was on every medium available. Make people realize that they missed a great event and vow to make it to the next one.

Anyway, my two cents,

-Stan-

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am willing to come by early on match day and help set up and stay late to break down. I am unable to come on a different day to set up. I hope we can reopen this match, I enjoy it and enjoy shooting with all of y'all, even though you do not let me win, ever.

Top Bottom