• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Just cant make myself do it. I wish I was a ,1 pistol,revolver,shotgun,rifle guy just cant "pull the trigger" lol. I guess I could cheat and buy uppers. To be honest most of them are toys and dont serve any real purpose. Then all the doodads that go with them. Thankfully I'm not alone. Lol

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know the feeling, with Mosin Nagants, Mausers, Arisakas, Enfields, Garand, etc etc, then throw in 30 different calibers of ammo (Having 400 plus rounds of the different calibers). I wonder when I'll outgrow my obsession with firearms and whittle the collection down a bit.

Like you said, throw in the accessories, such as bayonets, ammo pouches, holsters, belts, slings and you start running out of room.

I'll never outgrow it, I'll die looking for the next milsurp to add to my collection.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I know the feeling, with Mosin Nagants, Mausers, Arisakas, Enfields, Garand, etc etc, then throw in 30 different calibers of ammo (Having 400 plus rounds of the different calibers). I wonder when I'll outgrow my obsession with firearms and whittle the collection down a bit.

Like you said, throw in the accessories, such as bayonets, ammo pouches, holsters, belts, slings and you start running out of room.

I'll never outgrow it, I'll die looking for the next milsurp to add to my collection.

A guy just last week beat me to a big sealed can that was a gas mask kit in a local pawn shop. It was cool. Didnt need it have real ones, but just had the urge to buy it. HELP!!! M9a1.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's a tough choice and compounded by at least two categories: Primary Tools and Nonessentials we like for a multitude of reasons.

The Primaries and Backups (more than one gun to consume the calibers of ammo you Stock deep) are the gotta have stuff and depth of mags/ammo to feed them as you see fit. We sometimes change firearms and/or calibers but mission/purpose quantity stays filled. We add arms and stock as Family or persons under you umbrella increase. Only death, seperation (kids grow and move) or bad divorce lawyer reduce thess numbers. There's more that a possibility these aren't even your favorite guns but they're kept for a higher purpose. This can also include hunting firearms if the others can't fill a dual role. I see necessity for ACCURATE .22LR rifle and pistol also.

The Nonessentials are the firearms cherish, like or have a bond or interest in, including "collector value". It could be a Military arms collection, or multiple seperate collections: Colts, S&W, SAAs, 1911s, ARs, tiny guns and big guns; even Glocks! Lol. Not judging, it focuses on personal taste.

There's several reasons to downsize or consolidate in line with specific calibers. There's an advantage to stocking/feeding fewer cailbers and less waste in unused guns and ammo. Sometimes you just loose that lovin feeling, change direction/interest, financial issues/higher prioities and this is where you draw down Nonessentials until they're all gone before touching the Primaries.

Every collection of anything owned by an individual ultimatly goes into the posession of others. Circumstance, health or we just get Old. Smart move is to distribute it later in life so your spouse/Kin won't be left with a burden and value they may not understand. In Will of all or specific items to specific people can cover an unforeseen demise.

Even with the best of intentions simplifying, downsizing, consolidation is really just the down hill part of a rollercoaster ride. By my second retirement in 06', I got down to Primaries and three Nonessentials. I held tough for several years then fell off the window shopper only wagon. I have kept new nonessentials like a Ruger Vaquaro Stainless Birdhead in a compatable caliber: .45APC. I have a Stribog SP9A1 urge now but they're scarce right now.

Yes, you can take it with you, space limits apply (secretly: don't ask, don't tell). For decades my Son has known which pistol and knife I wanted slipped in my crate at the last private moments then watch it be sealed (Allen Key). Not like I'm going to use them nor do they provide some comfort in death; just a Warrior thing and if I get dug up in a thousand years they won't think I was a damn Democrat! Lol

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Starting over . . . ??
    If I was 23 years old,knowing what I know now, i would buy - - ->
    A large AR lower.
    Two small AR lowers
    Two T/C Encore Pro Hunter frames (stainless)
    I would start building these up as I had the money. These would serve as my hunting,range,SD and/or HD long guns.
    Shotguns - - -> A HK M1 Super 90. With a 18" screw in choke bbl and a 14" "Entry" bbl. Possibly a Moss Shockwave in 12ga.
    Pistols - - -> I would skip the revo's,Colt's,and Kimber's,and go directly to Glocks. Most likely in the 357Sig chambering. I would look for used Glocks at a good price. I would slowly replace parts or send them back to the factory if in too rough of shape. The looks of the guns would be of no concern of mine. Just the functionality and reliability.
    I would tool up to reload and start stocking supplies (consumables).
    I would keep my eyes open for the old farts that could possibly (??) know more than me, I would be respectful of them and their obtained knowledge of firearms,shooting,and the mechanics of the weapons. I would be EXTREMELY appreciative of the knowledge that they could/would pass on to me from their expierances,dedication,and hard work.
    BUT . . . . . that's just me. ---- SAWMAN

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Buy as much as you can afford with the space you have available. Don't limit yourself. Lol

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tried to cut down about 2.5 years ago, I sold some of my collection here. But I changed my mind and replaced everything I had sold. I’ve added even more since then. My mind set has changed, my family can do as they wish with my collection after I’m gone but I’m going to keep my toys . They are paid for and I enjoy them more than any other hobby I’ve ever tried. I only have one child so there will be no doubt about who gets what.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We all share a Common Bonds and enjoy the diversity of firearms and further: their applications. Shoot often or not, clean & fondle, learn, train, plink, window shop, buy & sell and occasionally nibble on each other: its all good! We also have a Duty to cultivate the minds of our young, for they must carry the Torch and responsibility for Freedoms future.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love to take my milsurps out to the Panama City shooting range, and I'll let anyone there shoot them if they want. Seen a lot of smiles on kids and adults faces, when they get to shoot a bevy of WWII weapons, or weapons made in the late 1800s.

Once they shoot them, I let them keep their brass. I get a lot of questions on where do you find these guns at, how much they run, etc etc. If it gives a younger generation the drive to learn more about milsurps and their history and desire to collect them. Well I've done my job, keeping shooting and history alive.

I also remind them that a weapon is a tool, and sometimes the tools were used by evil people, but that the weapon itself isn't evil. Example I've got a DOT 44, K98k Mauser made at the Waffenwerke Brünn I factory in Czechoslovakia. My Opa (Mom's side) was sent there from Holland as slave labour by the Germans. He was there when this rifle was made, maybe he touched it, maybe he didn't, maybe he made part of it, maybe he didn't, but he and it were there at the same time.

That history must not be forgotten, no matter how ugly it was, and people need to be reminded what happened once can happen again. We have a duty to keep that history alive and not let it happen again.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mine are just a tool, not a collection, just preparation...I have more than I can use or shoot so slowly will rid myself of many. I have no one to pass them too in the family and when I die will just be a burden on my wife to get rid of.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sawman I can help you out on that HK super M-1 90 but I think the barrel is 20 in, is Mag-ported and has speed loader set up and and a 28 in vent rib barrel. but you have to show me some respect. And you know you don;t respect old guys. Just my 5 cents jj

Top Bottom