• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I started wondering the other day about how polymer 80 makes frames and does not have trouble with Glock’s patents. Now they are coming out with complete serialized guns that have interchangeable parts with Glock. Just something I have not seen discussed in watching several threads on a couple sites.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take a look at a polymer 80 frame. It is a bit different from a glock. But you put in glock compatible parts. Many glock compatible parts slides, barrels, trigger mechanisms, etc are not made by glock either.
    Many like the polymer 80 frame because its grip angle is like the 1911. I prefer that of the glock myself. 1911's for natural pointing, always point down for me.
    An important aspect of close range gunfighting, especially at night involves pointing a firearm at eye level. You turn your wrists so the gun is presented at about 70 degrees instead of 90 degrees in what some call a half homie. Most trainers do not teach such things, but it is the natural anatomical way of pointing.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't know they were selling Serialized Frames/Receivers, technically a firearm but not a complete gun. Dealer Only Product available via FFL.
    Patents do expire, some are allowed to be extended. Patent Holders can lease part or 100% off the protected property . Patent infringement lawsuits are common between companies but a person or small company normally doesn't have the finances to litigate a long, drawn out Case and often multiple companies infringing on the Patent. A very minor change in design/materials can cause a court loss to the Patent Holder.
    If Patents didnt expire every modern revolver would be a S&W (bought Whites Patent) and every AR15 would be a Colt (bought ArmaLite Patent AND still owns the Trademark Rights to "AR-15", though the term is generally and widely used with thousands of other manufactures products Lol.

https://www.polymer80.com/pistol-frames/pf-seriestm-serialized-frames/p80-pfs9-blk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't know they were selling Serialized Frames/Receivers, technically a firearm but not a complete gun. Dealer Only Product available via FFL.
    Patents do expire, some are allowed to be extended. Patent Holders can lease part or 100% off the protected property . Patent infringement lawsuits are common between companies but a person or small company normally doesn't have the finances to litigate a long, drawn out Case and often multiple companies infringing on the Patent. A very minor change in design/materials can cause a court loss to the Patent Holder.
    If Patents didnt expire every modern revolver would be a S&W (bought Whites Patent) and every AR15 would be a Colt (bought ArmaLite Patent AND still owns the Trademark Rights to "AR-15", though the term is generally and widely used with thousands of other manufactures products Lol.

https://www.polymer80.com/pistol-frames/pf-seriestm-serialized-frames/p80-pfs9-blk
    I thought they were selling what was needed to serialize the frame. But if it 80% even with a serial number, it is likely not yet a firearm, or is it? Also they are not under any obligation to record that serial number, or are they?

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    From a couple videos I have watched that feature folks from p80, the serialized frames are ready to go and are cheaper than the 80% frames because they don’t come with the big or mill/drill bits. One video I watched with a P80 rep said their goal soon is for people to be able to buy complete guns ready to go at the local gun store right next to all the other makers.

I guess the whole “clone” theory makes sense, like 1911,AR-15, CZ75 etc.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought they were selling what was needed to serialize the frame. But if it 80% even with a serial number, it is likely not yet a firearm, or is it? Also they are not under any obligation to record that serial number, or are they?

Something was lost in translation. Lol
    I didn't see anything on a "Serialized 80% frame part". Their Serial Numbered Frame/"Receiver" are completely finished (100%) and are subject to Laws as a FIREARM even though it is not functional (no different than a stripped AR Lower): to be Sold via FFL Dealers. Buyers must complete 4473 and Pass NICS. Buyer would then install the guts and complete Slide. Alternatively, "FFLs/Gunsmiths could add the parts and Sell COMPLETE firearms.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrider666 View Post
    "FFLs/Gunsmiths could add the parts and Sell COMPLETE firearms.

This could only be done if the dealer/gunsmith has a firearms manufacturing license.
    That is my understanding. To manufacture a firearm for resale and not for your personal possession requires a license. The fed regulate firearms on the constitutional provision for the government to regulate interstate commerce. If you make a gun at home and do not sell it, it is legal with a few exceptions. If it is an NFA gun then the feds regulate it. Since no new machine guns are allowed you can not make one for your own use. You can get a letter-license-permission to build things like silencers for your own use. I think you save on the transfer fees when you build it yourself, but I am not sure. This is since it is not being transferred.

Top Bottom