• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Modfication of the creedmoor position using a sling to mitigate recoil and steady the gun

creedmoor.JPG

Attachments

• creedmoor.JPG
      creedmoor.JPG
      125.1 KB · Views: 393

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And . . . what would the RO have to say about that ??
    He'd most likely slap me right upside my bald head. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is a common position for those involved in long range shooting with pistols and in the old days with rifles. Using the sling does make it a bit safer than is normally the case. But of course a man should know his limitations and this position may not be for you.
    From web page of the pensacola rifle and pistol club.
    silo%20creedmoor.jpg

We all should know this fellow
    Elmer-Keith_002.jpg

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a good steady position for those who have good muzzle awareness. I've done it with G17s as well to make long range shots between 200-300 yards.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

We all should know this fellow
    Elmer-Keith_002.jpg
    One also has to be conscious of the muzzle blast. Note where elmer is putting the revolver far enough in front to prevent his pants getting fully blasted by the cylinder-barrel gap.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Here. Looks like a welding mat.

Also we can start a new shooting game, somebody get the twister mat and spinner!

ms-creedmoor.jpg

Attachments

• ms-creedmoor.jpg
      ms-creedmoor.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 581
    Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Is this just for funsies? Are guys using their 14" shotties to take shots long enough that this helps? This seems like a breakdown in gear selection and/or tactics. I'm only a keyboard commando but is this something I need to be practicing?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Heres the only "odd" one I ever do. Works for pistol and also standing.

hathcock.jpg

Attachments

• hathcock.jpg
      hathcock.jpg
      139.8 KB · Views: 510

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this just for funsies? Are guys using their 14" shotties to take shots long enough that this helps? This seems like a breakdown in gear selection and/or tactics. I'm only a keyboard commando but is this something I need to be practicing?
    Edit to add: This is not for funsies and some of them do kill people now then in their official functions.

This is a very small group that were firing slugs out past 100 yards. But within 30 days I expect to see multiple youtubes by other people claiming to have invented it. To use this you need a clear area as one sees in the more arid parts of the west.
    Equipment and technique.
    Sights were RMRs. never done it myself and I do not own a TAC-14. I am looking hard at the TAC-13 maybe for next year. Right now it is get my ARs and glocks all set up.
    You can use the same rifle supported shooting positions with a stocked shotgun and they work very well. With the Tac-14/Stakeout many of those positions are near impossible without a third point of contact. I was able to shoot from a seated position, but could not use any type of conventional prone. I employed the Creedmore position and noticed how incredible stable it was. The sling is on my shin which places the muzzle in front of the shin. The key for me was the use of the 2 point sling and pulling back on the Bird's head grip while simultaneously pulling back the sling on the opposite side of my leg using my shin as a fulcrum. You can see in the picture the tension I am putting on my support hand. I was incredulous at how stable the RMR dot was. I shot a few times and it was incredible easy to hit the steel silhouette and the rmr was rock steady. The downside with a pump action is to have to remove the tension from the sling then cycle the action and return to the shooting position, but it was not difficult at all. I would think the semi-automatic Tac-13 would be the easier button for this application. I am convinced using this method shooting the Tac-14/Stakeout and Tac-13 further than 100 yards is eminently possible and very much beyond the pale.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Edit to add: This is not for funsies and some of them do kill people now then in their official functions.

Guys are killing people with their 14" shotguns after getting on the ground and laying on their back and wrapping their sling around their leg?

So they don't have a shotgun with a stock and or a rifle?

I'm not questioning the increased stability of the position and the increased points of contact. I'm questioning the practicality of this, particularly if "some of them do kill people now and then".

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys are killing people with their 14" shotguns after getting on the ground and laying on their back and wrapping their sling around their leg?

So they don't have a shotgun with a stock and or a rifle?

I'm not questioning the increased stability of the position and the increased points of contact. I'm questioning the practicality of this, particularly if "some of them do kill people now and then".

I have not tried the position. Now is it something you are going likely using, I do not know. Right now they are experimenting with this at the range. I know one of them a few months ago while discussing the aftermath of homicides and the investigation, mentioned he has just been cleared by the Texas Rangers for his most recent killing.
    Some are carrying these guns in their vehicles because they are handy. The ATF IIRC has said a folding brace can not be used on these. You can put a fixed brace on them, but still not as handy as the bird's head grip is. I prefer a fully stocked shotgun with at least a 20" barrel myself as the house gun. I am just following the conversation and seeing what others think about it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    From shooting it I'd reccomend the mossberg. I've never shot it that far with slugs but I do know it keeps a tight pattern with buckshot >25 yards.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From shooting it I'd reccomend the mossberg. I've never shot it that far with slugs but I do know it keeps a tight pattern with buckshot >25 yards.

The Remington 870 pump shotgun is considered the better gun and is more respected for police service. The mossberg is a little cheaper and for that reason many buy it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I hate that trigger guard safety. Might as well not even be on there, im a left handed shooter too. I like the safety on the top forward to fire. I've often wondered why they dont use a glock type safety?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hate that trigger guard safety. Might as well not even be on there, im a left handed shooter too. I like the safety on the top forward to fire. I've often wondered why they dont use a glock type safety?
    I agree I like the tang type safety of the mossberg better.
    A glock type safety safety system is not safe to use on a shotgun. The trigger safety of a glock is safe when it is carried in a holster. Once an exposed trigger of a glock is snagged by branch or something it goes off. The glock is drop safe and will not go off as long as the trigger is not pulled. When a glock is set up with an arm brace and not carried in a holster some provision must be made like adding an external safety.
    That set up below needs an external safety.

Bubits_Arm_Brace_24.JPG
    Bubits_Arm_Brace_10.JPG

Attachments

• Bubits_Arm_Brace_24.JPG
      Bubits_Arm_Brace_24.JPG
      36.9 KB · Views: 276

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is just Tac14/Mossy SW foolishness. I see no practical or tactical reason for this shooting position with a firearm designed for close range and it only complicates and delays cycling and follow up shots. People can do such things for fun or attempt to stretch system limits, still a free Country. Only a hair better than "Hold my beer n watch this!". IMHO

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Remington QC went to shit some years back. A lot of departments are dropping them in favor of Mossberg 590A1 or semi-autos. Shotguns in general are losing favor though

Deadly Threat Defense LLC
    Firearms Training near Pensacola, FL
    Which do you prefer to use to use as an LEO: shotgun or carbine?
    I believe the SR county sheriff deputies use ARs. In rural and semi-rural areas I would want a rifle if I was an LEO and in an urban area I would want a shotgun. My go to gun around my house is a standard length pump shotgun. Works better at night and with number 4 buckshot does not carry as far or penetrate building materials like an AR will. An Escambia deputy friend recommended double ought.

Top Bottom