• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    With the weather getting milder I figured it was time to get back at smashing coyote. Captured one cutting through my back yard this am on the security camera so I figured tonight was the night to kick things off. I set up in a field behind my house knowing the odds were pretty good.

I hadn't even started the caller and it wasn't even good and dark when four came along the far side woodline about 250 yards out. I hit the caller and out of nowhere one came burning in from the left at about 60 yards or so, when I shot him, the others started my way.

As they got close, I shot one of the four and they scattered, one stopped about 200 yards out and I dropped that one but it crawled under an oak cluster... figured I'd find it but all that was there was blood under the tree and no blood trail despite spending over an hour looking.

So in less than 10 minutes in the field I knocked down three and recovered two... I'll take it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IIRC that "in the bed" shooting system is a couple of years old now. Do you still like it ?? How would you mod it . . if needed ?? Looks like it would be extremely stable. And gives you the edge as far as height above ground.
    This makes a huge difference if your watching the never ending peanut fields. Some we have are more than 1/2 mile long. I know that if your sitting in a chair,if you stand up,the "view" changes for the (much) better.
    I have been thinking of just using a tall bar stool in the truck bed,and a dark blanket to cover the cab. Then a couple old pillows or a tall Harris Bipod that I have for a rest.
    Good goin' on them yotes. We have quite a few in the places that we hunt. They follow the peanut,cotton,and soy bean harvest also. The harvest takes away all the places where their food has to hide.
    My hunting is with a thermal mounted,18" Bison Armory 6.8 shooting the Barnes 85gr TSX at 3100fps.
    Good huntin' to you sir. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    IIRC that "in the bed" shooting system is a couple of years old now. Do you still like it ?? How would you mod it . . if needed ?? Looks like it would be extremely stable. And gives you the edge as far as height above ground.
    This makes a huge difference if your watching the never ending peanut fields. Some we have are more than 1/2 mile long. I know that if your sitting in a chair,if you stand up,the "view" changes for the (much) better.
    I have been thinking of just using a tall bar stool in the truck bed,and a dark blanket to cover the cab. Then a couple old pillows or a tall Harris Bipod that I have for a rest.
    Good goin' on them yotes. We have quite a few in the places that we hunt. They follow the peanut,cotton,and soy bean harvest also. The harvest takes away all the places where their food has to hide.
    My hunting is with a thermal mounted,18" Bison Armory 6.8 shooting the Barnes 85gr TSX at 3100fps.
    Good huntin' to you sir. --- SAWMAN

Yes, I've been using it a couple years now, actually have two turrets and am looking at having a dual system made with one being above the other. That way the top shooter gets 360-degrees and the bottom shooter gets a little more than 180-degrees depending on where the top legs are behind the lower shooter.

Changes... none, it has worked out great. You're correct, it gives me the necessary height when shooting over grass fields where the grass is knee plus deep.

Having it in the truck means I can move quickly w/o much effort, everything supply wise and support wise is right there in the bed of the truck.

"Stable" falls short of just how SOLID of a shooting support platform this thing turned out to be... having the rifle strapped into the cradle makes it as solid as shooting bagged in off a bench.

Thanks for the post reply... stay safe out there.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Coyotes down here,where we do not worry about pelt damage,can be hit with about any gun/bullet/speed combo a long as it kills humanely.
    I started out shooting hogs,yotes,and deer with the Hornady 120gr SST driven at med/hot vels. This,from my gun mentioned above,before thermal. For yotes,the bullet always blew right through with adaquate+ damage. For deer it worked great but most always shed it's jacket. For hogs (the 120lbs+ ones) it always shed its jacket . . . BUT . . . killed great.
    During our hunts,it is just as likely that we see a coyote as a hog. We will always take the shot at the yotes and I wanted better ballistics than the 120's were giving,even with their abnormally high B.C.
    Tried the 85's,killed all critters good,accurate,found them cheap,stuck with them.
    Got a buddy that loads the 120's in his 270WSM coyote gun. He sez . . . "they ARE explosive". --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom