• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Met up with one of "our" farmers yesterday. He wanted to tell me he'd started turning peanuts and when he plans on harvesting peanuts in each of 3 fields. Also got an email from one of the property owners he leases from, and, as he always does, the property owner wished good luck, and we are free to park and be on his property. On my way to his first field, I stopped for a quick look around at a ranch property.

As usual, as I entered the ranch at 10pm, I turned off my truck lights and drove slowly to a barn so as to make minimum noise. Always park on the west side of a barn so as to be hidden from the fields and potential hogs while getting ready (all things that could look suspicious to an observer). I take the thermal and scan to the south then walk around the barn to scan to the east. As I start scanning east, I see a pickup in the harvested peanut field hidden from the road by the barn. That was VERY out of place, as the ranch owner lets us know if he'll be out at night for safety purposes. Immediately the pickup starts and drives right up to me. Turns out to be a FWC officer with night vision trying to catch a deer poacher. We introduce ourselves, exchange cards, and explain what each is doing there. Says he's glad to meet me. He asks if I'm gonna shoot...I say if I see a hog, can walk close enough, and can safely shoot, of course I'll shoot (I guess in case he heard a shot). Since I'm going to be in a field 2 miles to the north sitting, he says he'll stay were he is so as to not bother me while I'm watching for hogs. He was going to go to the north field area himself and sit hidden. Briefly looks through my thermal. Ask him if he wants to see a deer via thermal...no thanks. I tell him there's a deer in the peanut field about 100 yd to the north while he waits for poachers.

The officer had to have thought, "Oh boy, I've got me a poacher!" Checked with the ranch owner...he'd told FWC they are welcome to come watch for deer poachers. This is the 2nd time night hunting my partner or I've been approached by FWC officers in Santa Rosa County. Both instances were friendly, not tense like on TV on the game warden shows. Oh, saw no hogs. Chased coons and some deer off the peanuts. One deer walked by me about 25yd away until it got in my scent stream...boy did it take off then! Ran about 300 yd and then stopped.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This was a GREAT happening. A FTF encounter with a FWC officer is a shareing/learning expierance for both. It can work to the advantage of the hunter if he is respectful ,forthcoming,and take it as a working man just doing his job.
    The FWC officer is trained to ask certain questions. And he has plenty of room to tailor his questions to the environment that he finds you in and the equipment that is in your possession. If you have some "iffy" stuff (at least to him),he could get on edge. After all,how often does he come across a SBR,surpressor,thermal (or NV) an is HUNTING at night.
    After he asks the right questions,and you give the right answers the flow of info starts. Remember . . . standing in front of you is the one guy that knows where the deer are,hogs are,coyotes are,and other game animals. He knows the people that are having problems with coyotes and hogs.You will know who you have seen in the fields and woods,and different vehicles you've encountered. Also evidence of dead animals and foot traffic. Also what you have heard. Especially . . gunshots . . and ESPECIALLY at night (for us night hunters).
    Most wardens want more info than they are willing to give. I understand this and don't fault them for it. If they are not arrogant and condescending I will try to help them as much as possible.
    In the past I have gone so far as to help them track game animals and men,help them arrest law breakers,and given them rides in my truck,ATV,and boat. They don't forget this . . . EVER. --- SAWMAN

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Always a good idea to have a good relationship with the local authorities.
    Great story. Very positive encounter.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If applicable/desireable,might want to post which firearm you had with you and if the warden wanted to see it. If it was a SBR and surpressor,did he want to see the paperwork,hold it,etc,etc.
    Was he interested in the chambering,surpressor,thermal,mag,etc.
    Might be good info for someone else that hunts with this equipment. We want to make sure that the wardens are not surprised enough that they want to confiscate our "stuff" until it can all be checked out. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a reminder of all of law enforcement positions, that of a game warden is extremely dangerous. I would not want to be out at night without backup in isolated rural areas after people armed with long arms that are at least proficient enough with those arms to kill dear. The outdoors these days have meth cookers and marijuana growers out in the woods and these people also poach deer.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I had left the suppressed AR in my truck. He did see it when the door was opened to get a card to give him. He said nothing about it.

Top Bottom