• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

It is legal under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). It is an arm brace for use on pistols, some shotguns, and in theory is not designed to be shouldered. This is a complicated field and I suggest you use google and do a lot of research. Screw ups with these items can get you charged, but more likely no one will push it. some local police may not be updated with this.

I caution again be very careful before building your own. If it is straight from a major factory like ruger all should be good relative to federal law. Do not modify one of these factory items in anyway.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The way things are going, I wouldn't be shocked if the braces end up getting 86'd like bump stocks did...

I bit the bullet and have SBR'd several of my shorties recently. Form 1 wait times are 3-4 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i am not sure if the antigunners are aware of them yet to want them banned. The florida 2020 assault weapons ban does not mention them at all.
    Give them time and they will ban everything.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The Ruger one is very large not a skinny blade like on mine but a wide pad. With an easy to pull/push latch.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many Mfrs of "pistol arm braces" will reference a copy of the BATFE Technology Branch APPROVAL Letter for their specific Product. Owners should have a printed Copy. Equally important is to have a Copy of the BATFE Letter referencing "Occasional Shouldering a Brace equipped pistol" (it's allowed). BATFE filp flopped several time on the legality of shouldering the Brace. Never alter a Brace or adjustment straps as that is interpreted as "Manufacturing" and the Brace becomes a "stock" and your pistol becomes an "unregistered SBR".

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always add a very short strap to mine since it is suppose to be an arm brace and there are slots for it. I would not put a rifle sling on them. I have not used the strap yet. Mine is an endo setup for a glock that I am playing with.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Many Mfrs of "pistol arm braces" will reference a copy of the BATFE Technology Branch APPROVAL Letter for their specific Product. Owners should have a printed Copy. Equally important is to have a Copy of the BATFE Letter referencing "Occasional Shouldering a Brace equipped pistol" (it's allowed). BATFE filp flopped several time on the legality of shouldering the Brace. Never alter a Brace or adjustment straps as that is interpreted as "Manufacturing" and the Brace becomes a "stock" and your pistol becomes an "unregistered SBR".

So by me putting #6 beaker plugs (3) in the tube I may have modded it....crap. It's to keep it from slipping on the tube. 5.56 dosent need em but the 7.62x39 and 300 does....crap

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So by me putting #6 beaker plugs (3) in the tube I may have modded it....crap. It's to keep it from slipping on the tube. 5.56 dosent need em but the 7.62x39 and 300 does....crap
    Do not change the length or modify the contact area of the rear of the 'butt stock' area. Anything that makes if more suitable to shoulder. One fellow put a cane tip on his and an over zealous ATF agent had him charged in court claiming now it was too long or something.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I were you I would not mention such things on the internet. If it in anyway makes it more functional to put against your shoulder it is not a good idea. If you decide to delete that statement I will delete any quotes that refer to it that I posted.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Non-Lawyer Response: That's BATFE's call. Technically, the BATFE evaluate/approve a Manufactures submission "As is" including all parts provided and only those parts (collectively) fall under that Approval. I don't think all Braces/mounting buffer tubes come with buffers. Some Braces don't come with "straps" though they have strap mounting slots. I don't intepert changing "internal" buffers that support mechanical operation as having any connection to "manufacturing" a Stock from a pistol brace. If a supplied Strap broke, you could replace the broken part. If a buffer, buffer spring, BCG combo doesn't operate correctly you replace the bad part. IMHO

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: Before "pistol braces" hit the market, there was some discussion on the Forum about the legality of installing "protective coverings" on pistol buffer tube ends. Tennis balls, fishing pole devices like "Cushit" and "Butt Grip" were mentioned. Boils down to how defensible that mod (user view) is against BATFE's charge (interpretation) of "manufacturing" a SBR and "posession of an unregistered SBR/NFA Item.

Does the application of flush mean it does not pertrude past the end of the tube or contact a soft surface (shoulder) if pressed against it? That's the type of fine line the BATFE will use.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    It just fills the hole, nothing sticking out. Prob just buy one like the ruger has to be safe. Also bought the onmi maxx hybrid new and no letter was in the box

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not like the BATFE widely desiminates technical information nor how they "interpret" the CFR/Laws where their opinions change frequently.
    That is why one does not want to alter any approved arm brace. Particularly the overall length or the rear portion that could contact your shoulder and constitute a redesign of it for use on the shoulder.
    All of this is skating on a technicality that could go away as already mentioned.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

- The Shockwave 2.0 has a "proprietary tube", so it's not immediately compatible with a standard AR carbine buffer tube.
    - The SBA3 and SBA4 braces from SB Tactical actually DO use the standard AR carbine buffer tube. No modifications needed.
    - It's legal because they are all braces, intended for use on a pistol. Yes, originally developed/marketed for handicapped shooters, but they are legal for anyone to buy and use. The adjustments are legal because people have different length arms.
    - You can build a stripped lower as a "pistol" first, even if you only have a "rifle kit". Just don't attach the stock. Call it a long-barreled pistol. After that, you can attach the stock and go back and forth with impunity. Mostly.

As for steering clear of the boogeyman BATFE: don't modify the brace.

You're legal to hold/brace it however you see fit, still, because if we made something illegal simply because you used it "weird" according to someone's fleeting opinion, then there would be a lot fewer drivers on the road and duct-tape would be out of business.

Besides, if you are no-kidding putting the buttstock completely against your shoulder bone and NOT your pectoral or deltoid muscles, well, have fun with that. I never "shoulder" ANY firearm.

The SBA3 is lighter than the SBA4, and it collapses to about 1" shorter LOP than the SBA4.
    The SBA4 has a bigger/stronger "foot print" at the back, and it's range entends to about 1" longer LOP than the SBA3.

SBRs require government "permission" to move them across state lines, regardless of how "easy" the paperwork might be... for now. There's also the extra $200 for the tax stamp, and the paperwork for that initial process.

Pistols require none of that BS.

Get an SBA3 brace and enjoy.

Top Bottom