• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've got a couple of ban years SAR-1s that I’d sure like to thread. Do any of you gentlemen or ladies know of a smith who does this in NW Florida? Don't really want to buy the tools, plus I'd rather experienced hands just take care of it if it isn't a crazy expensive proposition. Thoughts and suggestions welcome. I know the middle diameter can sometimes be questionable on these too.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If it were me, I would send them to Taylor Pickerell of Buhler Ballistics... he's not in NW FL, but he will do it right the first time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Ya see a guy on armslist mobile from time to time. There's a shop in Spanish fort. Used to be colonial chokes seems like they made star dot too if any of ya remember them. I know he does chokes but I think they do barrel threading too? He's got some awesome ends of barrels where somebody must have shot slugs out of them and split em. I mean like cartoon $hit. The store/shop is on hwy 31.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any competent gunsmith can thread the muzzle end of an AK barrel if they have the right die. The combloc guns have their thread that is for the AKM
    14mmx1mm LH. Normally it would be written 14x1mmLH

But I guess if you want one with american threads maybe you could use AR type muzzle breaks and flash hiders or silencers. Not sure if that is readily done or not.

AKs apparently typically have misaligned muzzle threading. Often removing what is ever attached to the muzzle gives you better accuracy in my limited experience, particularly if it is not snug.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my none professional opinion, the best way to thread a rifle barrel is in a lathe with a single point thread tool and concentric with the bore. Most of the mandrel and thread die kits won’t get the threads straight enough to use a suppressor.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my none professional opinion, the best way to thread a rifle barrel is in a lathe with a single point thread tool and concentric with the bore. Most of the mandrel and thread die kits won’t get the threads straight enough to use a suppressor.
    Do you have to pull the barrel to thread it on a lathe.
    Easier to removed the barrel on an AR. On an AKM it uses a press fit with a cross pin maintaining the headspace.
    I have read that AK silencers were bored to account for misalignment of the threads. Due to the gas system. the AKs are not particularly quiet anyway when suppressed is what I understand.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks and good points everyone. Just looking to thread ‘‘em left hand Russian style for probably slant brakes. They shoot fine without them but coming from the ban era thought I might bring them up to date so I can hang brakes on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks and good points everyone. Just looking to thread ‘‘em left hand Russian style for probably slant brakes. They shoot fine without them but coming from the ban era thought I might bring them up to date so I can hang brakes on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put type 84's bird cage on mine. The slant brake will displace point of impact and if there is any movement in its lockup double group size.

84S flash Hider type 82.jpg

Attachments

• 84S flash Hider type 82.jpg
      84S flash Hider type 82.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 311
    Top Bottom