• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I’m just trying to see if anyone in the local area might know what the strange booms sounds might be. It happens pretty frequently now. Lasted about 45 minutes tonight. Being a retired infantryman and an Air Force TACP, I initially thought ordinance from Elgin but thought I’m too far of a distance living off woodbine. Way too many for it to be sonic boom from jets over the gulf unless we have entire fighter wings busting MACH for the hell of it, not likely. Any thoughts or ideas from locals that have been around here for alittle.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Got to looking at a few maps I have and doing a little googling. Range 30 is off highway 87 and that would be close enough to hear ordinance. If they are out practicing on the western edge of the range then it very well could be the sounds.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its not just what's happening at the source, its also the weather conditions impacting the soundwaves. So some "noise" may actually occur frequently but your only exposed to the soundwaves occasionally and those soundwaves may change before they reach your location and not just because of distance.

https://www.abdengineering.com/blog/weather-affects-noise-study/

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They normally test the AGM-176 Griffin at White Sands NM. The boom sounds you hear around here are most likely them practicing with the new C130J Gunships with the 105mm and 30mm guns. Also could be a C130U Model also.

Back in the day when they let you. I have been to the range during a live fire near blue water bay several times. Very Impressive!!! That was with the older U Model Gunships (Spooky) Still had the 25mm Gatling, 40mm, and the 105mm

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Weather has a lot to do with it. When it's clear and cool i can hear it in Pensacola.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On Next Door there was a discussion of the sounds. I heard them at about 5 PM and sounded like banging or a volley of pistol fire coming from the west of me. But acoustics can be tricky. If I am inside the house and down stairs I likely would not hear it.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got to looking at a few maps I have and doing a little googling. Range 30 is off highway 87 and that would be close enough to hear ordinance. If they are out practicing on the western edge of the range then it very well could be the sounds.
    A77 and A78 are both ranges on the Western side near 87 that gunships use as well as helicopters and CV22s.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks everyone for the replies. After a little bit of think I came to the conclusion that it was Elgin. I didn’t realize just how close I was to the western ranges. It does bring me back to my multiple deployments and hear them off in the distance. I’ve been out since November of 2013 so anything new they have on the Gunships would be, well new to me lol. I do enjoy the sound, almost like a rolling thunder in the far sky. And stage20 your right it was a cool clear sky last night. A welcome change to the heat. Thanks again GCGF.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks everyone for the replies. After a little bit of think I came to the conclusion that it was Elgin. I didn’t realize just how close I was to the western ranges. It does bring me back to my multiple deployments and hear them off in the distance. I’ve been out since November of 2013 so anything new they have on the Gunships would be, well new to me lol. I do enjoy the sound, almost like a rolling thunder in the far sky. And stage20 your right it was a cool clear sky last night. A welcome change to the heat. Thanks again GCGF.

You all keep saying Eglin but most of these aircract are from Hurburt Field AFB.

https://www.hurlburt.af.mil/

https://airman.dodlive.mil/2017/12/22/ac-130-gunship/

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here is a pic from my collection. If you all don't know what a 105, 40, and 30 MM look like. They dropped the 40mm gun from the C130 and now using a 30mm. Well the USAF stocks 30mm for the A-10 already why not.

So in the pic 105mm gunship round in the back. Just in from of it a 30mm on the left and a 40mm gunship round on the right.
    9vdvGzf.jpg

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    pretty sure, with the numerous ranges at eglin, sounds can be heard from pace, n. crestview area..the c130 gunship is quite a sight to see when cutting loose...

Noun1.
    5F933-laying-waste.jpg
    laying waste - destruction achieved by causing something to be wrecked or ruinedruining, wrecking, ruination, ruin
    destruction, devastation - the termination of something by causing so much damage to it that it cannot be repaired or no longer exists

<TBODY>
    </TBODY>

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to live in the Ranchettes subdivision of Gulf Breeze...
    could clearly hear those AC130's having a blast at night :)
    you'd get to hear three sounds...back in the 80's & 90's...
    the 20mm's sounds like a tablesaw at that distance...
    the quick boomp boomp boomp boomp of the 40mm kinda like a hammer on plywood...
    then the BOOOM........BOOOM........BOOOM!! of the 105 like thunder in the distance!!

Being close up is a whole different sound....
    20mm sounds like a Godzilla-sized Razorback Hog on steroids :D

Top Bottom