• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wheel chair mats removed
    I noticed the following story, but not the reason the FDEP made them remove the mats other than that could. I need to ask around and see if the citation was justified relative to environmental damage to the beach.
    Legally they had them, but morally I wonder. They can give a temporary stay or variance and allow them apply for the permit. I doubt that for a few months that any significant environmental damage could result.

https://weartv.com/news/local/mobi-mats-pulled-from-navarre-beach-due-to-fdep-violations
    Last spring, Santa Rosa County invested over $8,000 to install mobi-mats.

The mats ran almost to the water's edge with places for wheelchairs to turn off and park along the beach.

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection are now calling the mats an "environmental violation."

They add the county didn't seek approval to install the mats.

Subsequently, the mats have now been removed.
    The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) reached out to Channel 3 News after seeing this story.

They say although the county has decided to remove the mats, they have received an application for a permit for re-installation of the mats.

FDEP adds they are hopeful that they will be able to issue a permit that provides accessibility as well as ensures compliance with Florida Statues.
    636574290885436185-Mobi-Mat-Navarre-Beach-6 (3).jpg

Attachments

• 636574290885436185-Mobi-Mat-Navarre-Beach-6 (3).jpg
      636574290885436185-Mobi-Mat-Navarre-Beach-6 (3).jpg
      518.4 KB · Views: 123
    Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First tax payers paid to install them, then we paid to remove them , then we paid some ludicrous permit fee of some kind, and then we pay for and install new ones. LoL I guess we truly do deserve the government we vote for.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it has something to do with the sea turtle nesting from the article I read. But it seems like as long as the county goes through the permit process, they’ll be granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had not thought of that. The nesting season coincides with beach season.
    The nesting season in Escambia County starts May 1, but can begin as early as March. Nesting is typically over in October, with the peak of the season occurring between June and July. The majority of sea turtle nests in Escambia County are Loggerheads, although green, leatherback and Kemp's Ridley turtles can be occasionally be found nesting on the area's beaches.

I will check into that angle. Perhaps the mats might be some sort of barrier to the turtles getting high enough up on the beach.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I sometimes wonder what would happen if the county would just say “No” and mean it. They get sued. Ok, would a sheriff ever really go pull up a handicap access ramp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Top Bottom