• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    want to buy / want to rent a live pilot finish reamer and possibly a go gauge

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Whatcha building ??
    Hopefully it is long throated with a 9.5 - 10 twist 26 - 28" bbl. --- SAWMAN

:D It would be a 1:9 then it would be WTB/WTR a .22-250AI Finish Reamer

I have a 26" SS Pac-Nor 1:12 chambered in .223 and I want to make it more versatile for me. I have a Win70 Lightweight Carbine and like it a little...think I might like this more. I haven't checked the twist rate but it barely shoots 55gr so I will guess it is 1:14. It will shoot light short bullets in one hole.

I bought a new SS 700 receiver and have a spiral cut PTG bolt that is Tubb equiped. Since the barrel is standard thread i ordered the PTG tool to blueprint/true the action...all I have available is +.010. Ordered a new bottle of Dykem and going to have at it. I'm not real happy with the bolt face although it is probably true..seems under magnification it is a little chattered...maybe I can find a way to polish it some. The diamond files I have are a little too course so I have some 4 & 600 grit on the way.

I have a Ghillie Green Hogue pillar stock that hasn't been bedded yet to mount it in and I think I am going to buy a Jewell for my .260 so both lLR rifles are the same moor or less and take the Rifle Basix from the .260 and put in the .22-250...unless I can find a good Walker. I like the wide shoe.

Just playin really

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2664.jpg
      IMG_2664.jpg
      62.9 KB · Views: 19
    • IMG_2666.jpg
      IMG_2666.jpg
      288.8 KB · Views: 17
    • IMG_2670.jpg
      IMG_2670.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 19
    • IMG_2671.jpg
      IMG_2671.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 18
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Out of curiosity what will you use the 22-250 for? Any idea of the bullets and velocities you will be getting.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    don't know if I will get a chance to go dogging soon but varmint mostly up to hog size. Might even carry it to the deer stand some under some conditions...those 50gr FD Barnes here might come in handy for that. I have an abundant supply of .22 bullets ranging in from 40-75 gr. I have a small cash of Winchester brass and was considering offering one of my unopened boxes of Lapwa .260 as a trade for a box of .22-250. I also have various powder I can select from. I also like to run them a little on the slow side...might get better barrel life.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I like my 28" 1:12 twist 22-250. But digging through the loading data,bullet availability, and trajectory tables,I quickly determined that a 1:12 was right on the edge of (my) usability. ESPECIALLY . . . for hunting.
    Your choice of bullets is extremely limited. For this application,pretty much disregard the twist rate/bullet stabilization charts. A 55gr is pretty much the(my) max. And the no lead bullets like Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX were 53 with 50 being mo-bedda.
    The 10 twist 22-250 would allow the usage of most any bullet. The 9 twist would allow you ANY bullet if your magazine and/or chamber would accept it.
    I have a friend that has been shooting a 220AI (Swift) for some years now. It is built on a Savage 112 single shot action with a 26" heavy varmint 1:10 twist bbl.
    He shoots some the older 69gr SMK bullets "fast". He uses it in Maine for the coyotes that are "just outta range". ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i have an old Herters J9 22-250 on a Yugoslavian commercial mauser 98 action. It is back in the vault somewhere. I had a lot of problems with case neck spiting. My cases were necked down 250-3000 cases of swedish origin. I have not fired it in years and will eventually need to make a decision if I want to keep it along with other guns not being used.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I saw a couple of NIB Mausers in my LGS for sale from a collection for sale yesterday.

i think I will get just a little more use from the .22-250 chambering than I would in the slower .223 with that twist. It's just a finished barrel laying around...If I don't like it I have a .243 barrel too :D One of my buddies has a Custom Shop Ruger that is real good shooter that I have shot the staples outta the target with and it will run 60s lights out. He uses it for yotes around here. I do have that D-760AG that doesn't get much use anymore :)

If I was making a twist rate choice for a new blank it would surely be different than this. I have a .22-250AI reamer handy...I could always get a Valkyrie reamer.

If my buddies Midget can run one to 1200 so can I :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom