• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    (I hope this is the right spot for this)

I've had this PSA AR for 6-7 years or so, ive never had a single issue with it during this time, until the other day. I went out to my farm, loaded a mag and it double fired on the first pull, and the trigger wouldn't reset afterwards. I ejected mag, loaded up two in another pmag and it shot one off, the second one chambered fine, but the trigger didn't reset. Long story short, it continued to alternate between double fire and fte/ft reset trigger. I put on an aero lower, and the same thing happened. I then put in another bcg, swapped out buffer springs, and the same things would happen (albeit no double fire, only fte/ftrt). I then took it home, checked the gas system, lubed up everything, took it back to the farm, ran the same tests, still had the same issues.

I'm out of ideas, only other thing I can surmise and haven't dug into yet, is maybe a headspace issue? I've ran both .223 and 5.56 through it with similar issues with each.

Advice is appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The other lower I swapped out with it shoots flawlessly on the other uppers I have. I'm fairly certain it's not an unintended trigger pull, I've put at least a thousand casual rounds through it over the years and never had a hiccup, it's not a new build. I was slightly rushed and only had 30 min or so on the last attempt, to diagnose it though. I'm hoping to get out there this weekend to dig a little deeper into the problem. I was certain it was a fcg issue at first, but lost hope once I swapped over lowers and still had the same problems.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm taking it to a shop up the street tomorrow, he said he'd take a look at it within the next day or two. I'll update the post with the findings.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    IDK, seems strange, but if it works correctly on a different upper, I'd have to think it's a gas issue. Maybe the gas tube, gas block or gas key is clogged, maybe all of them? Whens the last time you cleaned the carbon out of these pieces?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    See . . . jj does this all the time.
    Right now he knows what is wrong with it but he wants you to drive out to Jay where he can sell you some 40S&W brass. --- SAWMAN

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    See . . . jj does this all the time.
    Right now he knows what is wrong with it but he wants you to drive out to Jay where he can sell you some 40S&W brass. --- SAWMAN
    Haha. Well in all fairness it is difficult to diagnose some things over the interwebs. I dropped off the gun at the shop yesterday evening, so hopefully he can figure out something before this weekend.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If not give me a call, If can't fix will give you some 40 brass, can shot it here want have to go some place. Just my 5 cents jj How about that bill.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My non expert SWAG:
    Gas Path: dirty, partially obstructed, leak.
    Dirty Locking lug contact areas.
    Group parts cleaning: reassembly mixup.
    Worn, misaligned bolt head gas rings.
    Old, improperly stored or budget new/reloaded retail ammo.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sooo update....

Facts: I'm a dumbass

Excuses: was being rushed by my gf at the time I was diagnosing it

Overlooked something so blatantly obvious and instead focused on the relatively minor things (gas system, buffer, bcg, etc)

I bought this ar in 2012 when I moved back from college. I knew nothing about them at the time. It was fully assembled and has functioned with no issues ever since, and for that reason I "upgraded" nothing to it, other than the grip, nor have I touched the lower receiver....I just shot it, and used the hell out of it. I've built a spikes pistol, and two aeros (both of which I used dropped in trigger kits for) since I bought this gun, and never once thought it could be something so obvious.

Culprit: disconnector. It wasn't the spring, it wasn't the disconnector itself, it was just NON EXISTENT. It wasn't even in the gun.

Question: how on Earth was the gun functioning for so long without a disconnector? I don't see how it could have broken off and fell out when I was cleaning it, without me noticing. I also don't understand how I ran into the same issue despite swapping over another lower. I hope to get out to the farm to test it again soon, though I'm fairly certain the disconnector being installed will significantly help my problem.

Result: embarrassing..though in all honesty, the gunsmith said he looked it over for a while and couldn't find an issue, then realized there was no disconnector. (Though he may have said that to help my "feels"). I'm just thankful it didn't go boom

Lesson: inspect all of my firearms and don't overlook the obvious. And don't assume a proper function indicates a safe gun.

Thanks for all of the help though from everyone. I genuinely don't know how this was overlooked. Fortunately I do have a bcm fcg from another build that I will be installing over the weekend.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The other lower I swapped out with it shoots flawlessly on the other uppers I have. I'm fairly certain it's not an unintended trigger pull, I've put at least a thousand casual rounds through it over the years and never had a hiccup, it's not a new build. I was slightly rushed and only had 30 min or so on the last attempt, to diagnose it though. I'm hoping to get out there this weekend to dig a little deeper into the problem. I was certain it was a fcg issue at first, but lost hope once I swapped over lowers and still had the same problems.

Sooo update....

Facts: I'm a dumbass

Excuses: was being rushed by my gf at the time I was diagnosing it

Overlooked something so blatantly obvious and instead focused on the relatively minor things (gas system, buffer, bcg, etc)

I bought this ar in 2012 when I moved back from college. I knew nothing about them at the time. It was fully assembled and has functioned with no issues ever since, and for that reason I "upgraded" nothing to it, other than the grip, nor have I touched the lower receiver....I just shot it, and used the hell out of it. I've built a spikes pistol, and two aeros (both of which I used dropped in trigger kits for) since I bought this gun, and never once thought it could be something so obvious.

Culprit: disconnector. It wasn't the spring, it wasn't the disconnector itself, it was just NON EXISTENT. It wasn't even in the gun.

Question: how on Earth was the gun functioning for so long without a disconnector? I don't see how it could have broken off and fell out when I was cleaning it, without me noticing. I also don't understand how I ran into the same issue despite swapping over another lower. I hope to get out to the farm to test it again soon, though I'm fairly certain the disconnector being installed will significantly help my problem.

Result: embarrassing..though in all honesty, the gunsmith said he looked it over for a while and couldn't find an issue, then realized there was no disconnector. (Though he may have said that to help my "feels"). I'm just thankful it didn't go boom

Lesson: inspect all of my firearms and don't overlook the obvious. And don't assume a proper function indicates a safe gun.

Thanks for all of the help though from everyone. I genuinely don't know how this was overlooked. Fortunately I do have a bcm fcg from another build that I will be installing over the weekend.

So both lowers used to test did not have a disconnector?

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Facts: I'm a dumbass"

I was beginning to think I was the only person in the dumb-ass boat. :welcome: I wuz getting lonely!
    Great post about how easily something can be overlooked. A good lesson here for us all.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    "Facts: I'm a dumbass"

I was beginning to think I was the only person in the dumb-ass boat. :welcome: I wuz getting lonely!
    Great post about how easily something can be overlooked. A good lesson here for us all.

I've been onboard the dumbass boat before too, don't feel lonely.

got 9 & 3/4 digits to prove it

Top Bottom