• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do feel sorry for this former LEO and even sorrier for the dead neighbor that was without any guilt except for being a black male actually in the right place, but in front of the wrong person.

https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/reg...cle_fd115825-24d5-5c86-acbd-72b83a9ff95f.html
    DALLAS (AP) — The Latest on the trial of a former Dallas police officer charged in the shooting death of her neighbor inside his apartment (all times local):

11 a.m.

Cheers could be heard in the Dallas County courthouse after a judge announced a guilty verdict in the trial of a former Dallas police officer in the shooting death of her neighbor.

Family members of Botham Jean and others embraced shortly after Judge Tammy Kemp announced that Amber Guyger was convicted of murder. She fatally shot Jean, an accountant from the Caribbean nation of St. Lucia, in September 2018.

Someone yelled, "Thank you, Jesus" following the verdict.

Guyger, who was fired following the fatal shooting, sat alone at the defense table and wept after the verdict announced.

The jury is expected to return Tuesday afternoon for the punishment phase of the trial. Guyger faces five to 99 years in prison.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No one should get a pass on killing a person in there own home by mistake. I don’t care what you do for a living , a persons job choice should have no bearing on the punishment they receive.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do feel sorry for this former LEO and even sorrier for the dead neighbor that was without any guilt except for being a black male actually in the right place, but in front of the wrong person.

https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/reg...cle_fd115825-24d5-5c86-acbd-72b83a9ff95f.html

I don’t think the color of his skin had anything to do with it. I believe she would have shot you just as quickly as she did that man in the same circumstance.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t think the color of his skin had anything to do with it. I believe she would have shot you just as quickly as she did that man in the same circumstance.
    You may believe it his color had nothing to do with it and I do not. Neither of us can know for sure.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I do feel sorry for this former LEO and even sorrier for the dead neighbor that was without any guilt except for being a black male... /QUOTE]

Exactly right, people are so eager to jump on the race wagon nowadays even tho race played no role in the actions.

I really believe the leo "thought" he was in her apartment when she shot him. And I thought they'd find her guilty of manslaughter. Texting her bf of getting drunk and having explicit sex 2 days afterwards sure didn't help, nor her stopping cpr to text him.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If she had shot a white guy probably would have gotten manslaughter is my guess.

To think that race is not an important issue is not understanding how our society works.
    I am not saying it is wrong or right, just that it is so. The world is never how it should be.

The percent of black prisoners per capita is three times greater than is their population in the USA. Cops see it everyday and it can certainly have an impact on the reactions of a small statue female cop that was likely in the wrong profession.

In 2010
    37,144,530 non-Hispanic blacks, which comprised 12.1% of the population
    percent of prisoners in the USA 37%
    According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) in 2013 black males accounted for 37% of the total male prison population, white males 32%, and Hispanic males 22%

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The race of the prison population is directly reflected on the race that does the crimes. NOT the numbers of that race that lives in America. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can’t be serious, can you? If one group of people commit more crimes then certainly more of them will be caught and convicted. Or am I misunderstanding what it is that you are trying to say?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can’t be serious, can you? If one group of people commit more crimes then certainly more of them will be caught and convicted. Or am I misunderstanding what it is that you are trying to say?

I think you are misunderstanding , but i got go now and if feel it is worth while might try explain latter. Probably I will drop it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No one should get a pass on killing a person in there own home by mistake. I don’t care what you do for a living , a persons job choice should have no bearing on the punishment they receive.

Actually, the person can be held to a higher standard if documented knowledge, training and experience: has bearing on the action or inaction central to the Case at hand.

I also question the request of additional information on Texas Castle Doctrine. The murderer had trespassed while armed, was not in any official "Color of Law" capacity. She had no Castle Doctrine protections for her actions. The Law concerns where you lawfully are and not where you think you are.

I just hope the rest of those Phone/App addicted idiots that trip into water fountains, walk into walls, sign post and through glass doors and windows don't CC. Goes to lack of situational awareness and what reaction will occur with a suprise encounter.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    imo , the man is dead because she was a small person, and was overly afraid....

she should have looked around, saw it was the wrong apt, a man would have...again, jmho

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I can't believe she finished a shift on-duty, and, with all her gear hanging off her left arm, decided to MURDER this guy. Nope.

The dead guy would've been 100% justified to draw on her. He would've been 100% justified to shoot if she continued to present a threat. But, he was stoned and unarmed.

To me, sure she obviously had the wrong apartment, but I don't believe she knew it until it was too late. How many of us have driven home, got to the driveway, and don't remember the drive? If you've ever lived in a cookie-cutter apartment complex, or spent an extended trip in a hotel, you know it's quite possible to turn down the wrong hallway, or goto the wrong floor if distracted/exhausted enough.

If the guy had LOCKED his door, he would probably be alive.
    If the guy had been armed and alert, she might be dead.
    However, it didn't work out that way.

I think this was a tragic series of events, but I don't believe it was intentional.

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Murder has two parameters if I remember..... intent and/or reckless disregard......she definitely displayed the latter, wrong apartment & she drew her weapon and fired when she had a non-lethal option. this is 100% on the officer...

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I feel sorry for the girl. I feel even sorrier for the guy that was sitting on his couch eating ice cream and got shot. By strict interpretation of Texas law she murdered him. In Texas you do not have to have a motive to be tried for murder. A person involved in a hunting accident could get a murder conviction over there. I don't want to hear anything about she was confused about whether she was in her apartment. Not a soul on here is going to walk into somebody else's pad and think they're at their home. (unless you're real drunk or high) She's a cop, she's had training. Why didn't she call for backup? The only way to get out from a 4th floor apartment is through the front door. Another thing that got her was she had a trauma first aid kit with her and made no effort to help the guy. I don't even think there's a racial angle here, she'd have shot the shit out of one of us. She's been tried I/A/W the laws of the land, found guilty, and now the time has come to pay the piper.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." -said a Jedi master absolutely...

Anyway, I can believe she was so out of it that she ended up the wrong door. I can believe that she had her hands full of gear and tried her key card/fob, and the already ajar/unlatched door popped open (just as it did multiple times to investigators in the following weeks when they thought they closed the door). I can believe that her brain went from "wtf?" to "HolyShit!" when she saw a dimly lit (and subconsciously Confusing) layout and a huge guy yelling at her and advancing towards her. I can believe that she yelled for him to show her his hands (based on witness accounts). The rest is up for Monday-morning QB and speculation.

If I was so out of it that I ended up at the wrong door, and the door popped open, and, before I could snap out of it to realize my momentous mistake, I felt like I surprised an aggressor who was now headed towards me, what would I do in that second? :/

No radio for help would be soon enough: the threat is right in front of you.

It's a sad situation.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Intentionally, Knowingly and Willingly" surely that is how she her applied her Use of Lethal Force. Preceived a Threat, drew her duty weapon and fired in order to stop that preceived threat.

From the Case, Hermus is the Prosecutor:
    "Hermus, a former police officer himself, noted that Guyger shot Jean directly in the chest, right where she was trained as a police officer to shoot.
    "When you aimed and pulled the trigger at Mr. Jean — shooting him in center mass right where you are trained — you intended to kill Mr. Jean?" he asked.
    "I did," she said."

How many times have we been taught, told or heard: The use and purpose of Leathal Force is to "Stop the Threat". The result of the application may be injury or death from our lawful actions. Any question as to which "term" would have been more favorable for her and what answer put a Check in the "Murder Box"

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just can’t see how it’s not her fault , a person should be held accountable for the harm they cause.

Top Bottom