• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    What's your preference when hunting deer? @ 30-150 yards. I like the red dot but find it's a hassle to keep turning the dot off and on. I maybe need to get a better red dot that can run 500 hours on a battery.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Magnified optic, always. But I take deer hunting more serious than most. When that deer of a lifetime steps out, I want the best rifle and optic in my hands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Scope, preferably a variable power. The only time I used a red dot was when I was deer hunting with my goat herd. I knew the range would be short, maybe 40yd at the most, and it might be a quick shot. Yes, I was successful after Jigsaw (one of my male goats) alerted me that deer were coming (so I got ready), and then Jill stopped and pointed (with her head) to the deer as they entered the field. The shot was maybe 30yd. The needy family I was trying to get a deer for was happy; no cleaning as they came after I called and picked up the deer.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now my 16" 300 BO I have the Trijicon ACOG with a kill flash attached. Lots of options out there. Depends on what your needs are. The SBR 300 BO. I like the red dot and I don't shoot supers out of it. Even though we discussed shooting some supers out of it just to get some data for you to see the difference. I do have some 110gr loads ready to go with 20gr of H110. I have never shot them in the 10.5" always with the 16"

MHSoLKy.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Now my 16" 300 BO I have the Trijicon ACOG with a kill flash attached. Lots of options out there. Depends on what your needs are. The SBR 300 BO. I like the red dot and I don't shoot supers out of it. Even though we discussed shooting some supers out of it just to get some data for you to see the difference. I do have some 110gr loads ready to go with 20gr of H110. I have never shot them in the 10.5" always with the 16"

MHSoLKy.jpg

I can see the point on the longer barrel, but on the 10.5 the range would be a lot closer. (For me) From reading online I would keep the shots under 100 or less. Just like when i hunt with the 45 colt carbine. Did a +/- 60 yard shot on a coyote thru and thru with bonus "hollywood" roll using the ftx (leverlution) factory colt round. DRT. (2x red dot)

Last edited:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    LPVO is what you need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's what I have on my PTR91 but just me would think it would be kinda big looking on an SBR. Hell I think it looks big on the PTR91 but I did start with an extra spit fire I had to play with...

qyvRXjO.jpg

ECnkVLp.jpg

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Meat, Trophy or Selective on game should drive how well you need see it at max expected distance. Binos can suplement a Dot but you loose time when transitioning and reacquiring the animal. Dot auxiliary magnifiers (tip over mount is best) is another option if you have rail space but you will be limited in magnification power choice. A good magnifier can cost more than a good Dot. Are you hunting from a blind/tree stand or stalking? The advantage of a reflex Dot is its illumination, use with both eyes open and imposing the reticle in your field of view. Scope reticle if not illuminated can blend/be partially lost in dark/bursh/woods backdrop which can delay a shot. Cheap is cheap be it scopes or Dots. Invest what its worth to you, alternatively a $1K scope/reflex dot would be overkill.

You can buy a Dot that once its turned on will power down if stationary for awhile, it powers up upon sensing movement. Brightness setting affect power drain but dots don't suck power like NV or thermals do.

I reccomend a scope (3×9, 2×7), avoid Mil/USMC dot, BDC and range finding reticles: they add clutter and won't provide much benefit within your range limits. PLEX reticle has bold outer lines to draw your eye to finer crosshair center and is very common. IMHO

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Meat, Trophy or Selective on game should drive how well you need see it at max expected distance. Binos can suplement a Dot but you loose time when transitioning and reacquiring the animal. Dot auxiliary magnifiers (tip over mount is best) is another option if you have rail space but you will be limited in magnification power choice. A good magnifier can cost more than a good Dot. Are you hunting from a blind/tree stand or stalking? The advantage of a reflex Dot is its illumination, use with both eyes open and imposing the reticle in your field of view. Scope reticle if not illuminated can blend/be partially lost in dark/bursh/woods backdrop which can delay a shot. Cheap is cheap be it scopes or Dots. Invest what its worth to you, alternatively a $1K scope/reflex dot would be overkill.

You can buy a Dot that once its turned on will power down if stationary for awhile, it powers up upon sensing movement. Brightness setting affect power drain but dots don't suck power like NV or thermals do.

I reccomend a scope (3×9, 2×7), avoid Mil/USMC dot, BDC and range finding reticles: they add clutter and won't provide much benefit within your range limits. PLEX reticle has bold outer lines to draw your eye to finer crosshair center and is very common. IMHO

Hunting from a stand for dinner/jerky. I'm thinking a better red dot or a 4x (max) small scope. Not sure yet which way I'm going to go. Rail space on the 10.5 is limited. The scope is handy to look around with and one less thing (binos) to futz with in a stand.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Light82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been a big fan of the Holosun sights with the built in solar features. The dot comes on with movement, and runs off solar power unless the conditions are too dim, then it switches to battery. I don’t see myself having to replace the batteries for many years...if ever.

Top Bottom