• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bpreston

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Obviously the most secure place is on your person, but what about when you have to go into a “gun free zone”. Looking for some sort of storage, preferably more secure than a locked glove box, that I can secure a pistol. Specially a Glock 19 with RMR and stream-light TLR1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    One of my coworkers had their car broken into a few weeks ago. The suspects tried like hell to get into his pistol box (which was empty, but locked). They even used the tire iron to try and pry it open, they tried ripping it from the car, etc. the box looks like hell now, but it held up and they weren’t able to get it open.

B49866C6-4777-40C6-AF71-FDF54E56F835.jpg

Attachments

• B49866C6-4777-40C6-AF71-FDF54E56F835.jpg
      B49866C6-4777-40C6-AF71-FDF54E56F835.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 464

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Academy has those pistol boxes with the same design for $10. Not sure of brand, but they're heavy and likely just as durable

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Wait, what, you mean if an establishment has a sign up that says this is a "gun free zone" everyone without exception will heed and obey their request? Some places have gone so far as to include on duty police officers in uniform by refusing service to them if they carry their duty weapon. Fort Hood shooter/coward/jihadist Nidal Hasan was counting on that very outcome. He killed 13 American Patriots and injured more than 30 other Patriots in the Fort Hood mass shooting on November 5, 2009. I hope we can all remember some names of the many others mass shooting/cowards from the past. How does that axiom go "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"? That's the one that makes the most sense. And what is your gut telling you to do? I remember a lady with her parents went to Texas eatery and left her gun in the car because they said it was gun free zone. Guy came in killed both of her parents and others. How does she live with that now? The only thing that may have helped to stop the bad guy with a gun that day was a good gal that had a gun but left it yards away hidden in her car because of GFZ. I avoid and will not frequent places that are a GFZ and by association treats me as a second class citizen.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can't work around some CC restrictions like Jury duty. Others like Military base access can have harsh penalties from a Fed Magistrate, I don't chance that either. Choose your battle's wisely.

I don't try to remember names of mass murderers. I recall the incident.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Think out of sight, out of mind is the best defense to theft.

Vehicle burglaries are rather quick incidents for the most part, criminals don't like to spend much time doing their deeds... the obvious spots are usually checked first (glove box, center console, under the seats). Lock boxes are SURE to attract more attention and effort hands down.

I can't recall in all my years as a cop a trunk ever being opened and checked during a vehicle burglary... under the spare tire would be a great hiding place as would the access areas in the rear fender well. The panels pull out easy and there is a lot of room back there. Some creative minimal work in your vehicle would probably yield some GREAT hiding places.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My lock box is hidden and cabled to the mount/frame, they would have to bring bolt cutters or a couple of larger crowbars to enter if they found it. These vehicle burglaries are very fast and the vehicle is not entirely searched. As a gun owner I have the responsibility to lock/secure my weapon and not just hide it so it can be picked up with little or no effort.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As a gun owner I have the responsibility to lock/secure my weapon and not just hide it so it can be picked up with little or no effort.

Agree 100%.

My post is intended for those who won't do what you have done and think "it won't happen to me". Seems a couple times a month my guys are taking vehicle burglary reports involving stolen firearms.

If "sticking it out of sight" is a person's primary method, which experience on the streets suggests to me many people do this, I'm merely suggesting putting it somewhere I've never seen a burglar go in 25 years on the job... not just somewhere inside the interior thinking it won't be found.

It's also a good recommendation IMO for someone unexpectedly finding themselves in a position that they HAVE to leave their firearm in the vehicle.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Also just being smart about where you park and not advertising with a bunch of gun company stickers on your vehicle.

LOL... I'm in BIG trouble.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I got a question for all you guys . . . "in the know".
    I leave home,knowing that I am going to the base,VA,Naval Hosp,or the post office. After that,down to the "iffy" parts of town to see my baby mama in her welfare apartment on East Jordan St.
    What are my choices for concealed carry ??
    #1. None . . . leave all firearms at home.
    #2. Lock box for pistol(s) . . . leave long guns at home.
    #3. Throw my Glock up on dash,the BG's think it is a police sting,and leave it alone.
    #4. Don't purge myself or my truck of any weapons knowing the Federal Prison at Saufley Field is run like a country club.
    #5. Carry as normal . . . just give up my medical benefits and have my neighbor pick up stamps at the post office for me. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yep . . . I do know what the laws are.
    I just wanted the rest of this forum to be aware of what my government expects . . NO,DEMANDS . . of me,even as a combat veteran,non felon,and carrier of a CWP from several states.
    Thanks America !! ---- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sawman, I lock it up and remove on exiting the property, Crestview and back or Pensacola, even on base. I am not going to be disarmed for 90% of my trip.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soon, most of us will have to make a hard choice. The liberal left will declare the entire United States a gun free zone. In the mean time I’ll use all of the above suggestions to avoid being unarmed and defenseless.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Locking your car and keeping valuables out of sight will solve 98% of all vehicle burglaries. Also just being smart about where you park and not advertising with a bunch of gun company stickers on your vehicle. Not saying a lockbox isn’t a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's baffling. I was behind one the other day with Glock, Browning, Apple, and Yeti stickers! If they aren't paying me I'm not advertising their product on my truck and all but rolling out the red carpet for thieves!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,mainly scared of the post office parking lot thing. At 32533 we have "monitors" out front. You know,the kind that resemble the school crossing guards of the old days.
    They use a handheld "gun detector". There are many people in prison for this crime.
    "Hard,take you down" enforcement is handled by the same Fed teams that were at Waco and Ruby Ridge.
    And thinking . . . ok for me to disarm before going onto a military installation. No one ever shoots up those places. ●●●● NO WAIT . . . Ft. Hood . . . ?? Anyway . . . . . ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom