APOD Firearms

Is lil gun good for .308,30-06 and .300 bo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    My hornady book and it shows this powder will work for all 3 calibers. So far I've been using unique and titegroup for my pistols and am pleased with the performance. Trying to get the most bang for the buck.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Gonna pick up a can of lil gun today, matching it with hornady 165gr interlock sp # 3040. May pick up some heavy bullets (208 gr) as well as lighter ones (110gr) to fool with. I really like the hornady bullets prob make them my main bullets, I also bought the hornady reloading book. If they don't have any brass, ill buy some Walmart stuff and blast it out.

Round nose bullets or pointed?? Make a difference??

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gonna pick up a can of lil gun today, matching it with hornady 165gr interlock sp # 3040. May pick up some heavy bullets (208 gr) as well as lighter ones (110gr) to fool with. I really like the hornady bullets prob make them my main bullets, I also bought the hornady reloading book. If they don't have any brass, ill buy some Walmart stuff and blast it out.

Round nose bullets or pointed?? Make a difference??
    For the .308 and 30-06 for longer range performance relative to the flattest trajectory possible you want pointed bullets. For supersonic 300 black out loads pointed bullets are likely also a good idea.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lil Gun powder is not a good choice if you want full loads in a 30-06 according to hogdgon tables since it is not even listed for that chambering. I am not saying you cannot use lil gun for such, but it is not the best choice. Perhaps some of the others can suggest a good compromise powder that will go bang with good results for your needs. The lil gun means little gun or that is little cartridge.
    Hodgdon LIL'GUN is an advanced technology propellant design just for the 410 Bore. The 410 shotshell has long been difficult to load due to shortcomings in powder fit, metering, and burning characteristics. Not any more! LIL'GUN was designed to fit, meter and perform flawlessly in the 410 Bore. No more spilled shot or bulged cases. In addition, LIL'GUN has many magnum pistol applications and is superb in the 22 Hornet.
    I have not seen what loads you are contemplating to use. A 30-06 can hold up to 60 grains of powder that is far more than what a 300 black out can hold. Large capacity cases perform best with slower burning powders than what will work best in a 300 black out that is a very small case.
    I suggest you get two powders. For the 308 and 30-06 with 150 grain bullets 4895 is the classic powder. I do not have a suggestion for the 300 black out.
    Start with what has always worked, that is the long time favorites and when you get more knowledge you can start experimenting.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At your stage of experience start with a single stage reloading press that is designed to work with rifle cases like the 30-06.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    At your stage of experience start with a single stage reloading press that is designed to work with rifle cases like the 30-06.

Too late. I got a loadmaster set up for 9mm for $200, powder,primers etc, still in the box. Have it mounted on a harbor freight table. Been cranking out 45 colt, and shooting them about ad fast as I make them. Been making them one at a time. Loaded about 300 and only had one goof. Forgot to put powder in one, better than double loading I guess.

20190221_151255.jpg

I pulled the case feeder and bullet feeder off.

Attachments

• 20190221_151255.jpg
      20190221_151255.jpg
      538.1 KB · Views: 343
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Too late. I got a loadmaster set up for 9mm for $200, powder,primers etc, still in the box. Have it mounted on a harbor freight table. Been cranking out 45 colt, and shooting them about ad fast as I make them. Been making them one at a time. Loaded about 300 and only had one goof. Forgot to put powder in one, better than double loading I guess.

View attachment 76796

I pulled the case feeder and bullet feeder off.

I am not highly expert on those tools. Is that loadmaster system rated for full length resizing of once fired rifle cases. Some of them are only intended for pistol length cases. Some of the others here would know.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am concerned that as beginner you might make a serious error. Here are a few more suggestions.

Loaded about 300 and only had one goof. Forgot to put powder in one, better than double loading I guess.
    There a special dies to prevent seating bullets on cases that do not have powder for progressive press. The downside of such presses is that you can not readily inspect the cases to see if there is powder in the case prior to seating the bullets.
    In some scenarios it is possible not only to miss charging one case, but to overcharge the following case. Here is a website for powder lock out dies or powder drop station to automatically check dropped charges https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011853529

The loadmaster does not appear to be designed to handle the 30-06 and 308 cases
    From the lee website https://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/progressive-presses/load-master-reloading-press/
    223 Remington
    32 S&W Long or 32 H&R Magnum
    9mm Luger
    380 Auto
    38 Special or 357 Magnum
    40 S&W

44 Special or 44 Magnum
    45 ACP
    45 Colt (will load 454 Casull)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Those are complete kits for loading those calibers. There is another section that shows the rifles it will work for. It has a 5 hole plate that holds the shells. I have it already just not the dies.

It also has fingers that hold the shells in. I leave them loose so I can pull the cartridge at any time and look. I'm very very careful now and have ditched any that I was not 100% on. Was loading for the circuit judge and would explode if overloaded.

It also has a safety that won't double load, if you pull the handle twice without pushing it forward to move the plate to the next round, but shit could happen. It's the sliding auto disc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom