Target Sports

Thinking about getting a handgun for hunting deer suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I have a .357 blackhawk, but was thinking maybe I should bump it up a bit. Should I go with the tried and true .44 mag or go up a notch to the 454,500 etc? What are y'all using?

Hank62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a .460, but I mostly shot .45lc. with the x frame the .45lc is very tame and a solid hunting round.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hank62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a .460, but I mostly shot .45lc. with the x frame the .45lc is very tame and a solid hunting round.

I forgot to add, a .357 is a good round. Unless you are just wanting and excuse to buy something, use it.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I load 190 grain cast bullets in my 357 and would feel more than confident using it for deer or hog

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Get a T/C Contender (best bet from gunbroker) or the T/C Encore pistol. A single shot (do you really need more than 1 shot?), and you can get most any caliber barrel for it, with the Contender having the most calibers in pistol length barrels. The Encore has the most choices in rifle barrels (slim pickings in pistol length barrels). Takes a couple minutes to swap barrels for any hunting occasion.
    I have a T/C pistol in .308, 7mm08 and 223.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I know. The reason I asked was I was sitting in a tree stand and had a 4 point walk out on my left and I shoot left, could not turn far enough to get a shot. Had I been using a pistol I would have had more jerky and at least tied with the wife for 2018.....lol.

I think in a situation like that your 357 would have been more than adequate I load 180 grain xtp is as well which may be a little better than those 190 hard cast

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Stalking hogs in the thick stuff . . . GLOCK 20 with a heavy bullet (Hornady XTP) or a heavy WFNGC hardcast.
    OR . . . a GLOCK 21 shooting 45Super using a 200gr+ bullet.
    Hunting hogs and/or deer from a static position,a big and heavy revolver or single shot. Use a scope if you can see thru it. 4X is all the power you'll need. 2X would be doable. Practice at 40 yds. . 50 MAX.
    Chamberings (other than mentioned above) - - -> 44Mag . . 45LC . . 454Casull . . Or rifle chamberings in the T/C Encores. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nope . . . other than the same as rifles . . . for deer . . . NO RIMFIRE.
    And - - -> Your expected ranges and the intended game animal could have quite a bit to do with your choice of "tools" used for handgun hunting.
    In Maine my dedicated woodchuck hunting pistol was a 14" T/C Contender chambered in 223Rem wearing a 6X scope.
    My deer,black bear,moose gun was a 44Mag chambered Deasert Eagle or a 16" Lone Eagle chambered in 243Win wearing a 2-6X Weaver. Or an unscoped 454Casull 6" Taurus.
    These were just personal preference. People should use the best tool for the job. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Cause 'mercia!!!

It's like you using a sbr, instead of a full length rifle because sometimes you use what fits the conditions you hunt (pest control) in.
    Nothing like missing out on 100lbs of meat because you were in a tree stand and could not turn far enough to make a good shot, hence lost meat. Granted I did not starve, but Walmart was glad I did not get it. Every pound of meat also offsets money I and my wife spend on gas,ammo and new toys. Well new toys is mostly, well all me. :eek:hwell: You could not get her .308 Remington 700 VTR bull barrel out of her hands with a crowbar. She's been using the same rifle for +10 years now.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Until you can get back on your feet financially, after missing out on that "free" meat, and can afford a hunting handgun, you might practice shooting off your other shoulder. (If you have good sight in the other eye)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Handgun hunting,with iron sights,from a tree stand is like bow hunting. You find yourself a well used deer trail. You set up a ladder stand or use a climber. You call,rattle,and wait for that 40yd shot.
    Soooooooo . . . why bowhunt ?? ---- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What’s the point of hunting with a handgun other than maybe the challenge? Also, what is the point of the rifle caliber bolt action pistols?

I’m not much of a hunter other than doing pest control on private property (I.e. killing hogs, coyotes, squirrels, occasionally feral cats, etc) so I’m not familiar with these concepts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO: It's about developing more Skill Sets (not just the shot) in order to increase the Challenges of the Hunt. Long bow, compound bow, black powder and handgun also impose limitations compared to centerfire rifle use. There are often other benefits of Special/Early Seasons or Restricted Hunts/Areas for certain "primitive wepons" (bow or BP Only).

Dave308

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love my.357 Blackhawk 7 1/2 barrel. I also wanted to try something different so I went with a Glock 20. Haven’t killed anything with it yet.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When I get in the stand I have my T/C Contender in .30-30 Win or .221 Fireball... you never know what's going to walk right by you.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a .357 blackhawk, but was thinking maybe I should bump it up a bit. Should I go with the tried and true .44 mag or go up a notch to the 454,500 etc? What are y'all using?

I used a stainless 8" barrel .44 mag smith with a red dot when I lived up in Georgia. Since then they changed the laws where you can use any center fire round to hunt. LOL

I don't keep up with the AL or FL Hunting laws. I don't really hunt anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom