APOD Firearms

Is this a good choice for getting into the .300 bo ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    PSA 10.5" PISTOL-LENGTH 300AAC BLACKOUT 1/8 NITRIDE 9" LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER - NO BCG OR Ch

Barrel: 10.5" Chrome Moly vanadium steel, nitride treated for durability and chambered in 300AAC Blackout with a 1 in 8" twist rate. pistol-length gas barrel is finished off with a PSA 9" Lightweight M-Lok Rail, a low profile gas block and an A2 Style Flash hider.
    Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

Found it online. I have the bcg and ch from my 10.5 5.56.

51654458422.jpg

Attachments

• 51654458422.jpg
      51654458422.jpg
      22.2 KB · Views: 371
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A negative for me would be the bbl twist. My 3 guns are all 1:7 twist which I feel is somewhat better for hunting. The rotational velocity will pull a bullet apart faster (expand it).
    The slow vels of this chambering needs all the help that it can get. Especially with the bullets >125gr. With the 300BLK velocity is your friend. This is why IMO,a 16" bbl is about minimum. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO. - - -> a 12.5" or a 14.5" would not be too bad but lower than that there "could" be a velocity issue with the proper performance of hunting bullets.
    The Barnes 110gr black tip would still be good at the closer ranges. As would most any "varmint" bullet with a thin jacket. However your delivered energy at ranges would start falling back to around 150yds (~). ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    LOUD !!! In decibels.
    Over pressure As in 14.7lbs per sq inch +++++.
    All this equals . . . NOT fun to shoot. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yeah, I'm sure it would be dealing. I have a 7.62x39 ar that is 7 inch added a pig brake = hearing loss and flame thrower all in one. But it is accurate.

Been reading looks like if you use the longer barrel for supers a 1:10 twist is recommended. Strange.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I checked my 300BLK’s , the bolt rifles are all 1 in 7 twist, the ar’s are 1 in 8 and 1 in 71/2 . I shoot 190 and 220 grain subsonic , 125 and 110 grain supersonic copper jacketed bullets from Hornady, Sierra ,Barnes and Lehigh defense . I can’t tell that there’s any difference in accuracy between them . I’ll add that I’m a mediocre shot at best and that might be the reason I can’t see any difference. I’ve read that 1 in 7 was needed for subsonic 240 grain jacketed but I haven’t tried bullets that are that heavy and most likely won’t because what I have works for me. Edit to add , 12 inches is the shortest barrel and 16 inches is the longest barrel that I have experience with.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have 1 in 6, 1 in 7, and 1 in 8" twist 300BLK bbls. I shoot supersonic and subsonic. I see no difference in accuracy. Or rather, none giving bad accuracy. Note: I don't shoot bullets heavier than 220gr, so an even heavier bullet might need one of the faster twists.

I've also been measuring 300BLK bbl throat wear for years and have now fired about 20,000 rounds. All testing is done 5 shots and let bbl cool to ambient temp.

Plain button rifled 4140 has the shortest life (about 11,000 rounds calculated per bbl wear so far)
    416R SS adds more life
    CHF adds about 500-1000 more round life than button rifled
    nitriding adds more life
    4150 or 41V50 adds more life
    Chrome lining gives the longest life so far

So, for the longest life add all the good parts together: CHF, chrome lined, 4150 steel gives about twice the bbl life of plain 4140 (calculated at 22,000 rounds based upon bbl wear so far). Nitriding gives a life between those 2 extremes.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Just got home from the gun store looked at this

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ati-omni-maxx-300-blk-gomx300ml10p4b/

$360.00

Wanted to jump on it but figured I'd better do some reading first. But, But it's the last one we have...…… :blabla:

Brand: ATI
    Category: Semi Auto Handguns
    Caliber: .300 Blackout
    Model: Omni Hybrid MAXX
    Type: AR Pistol
    Action: Semi-Automatic
    Sights: None, Optic Ready
    Capacity: 30
    Muzzle: Threaded
    Grips: Black Polymer
    Metal Finish: Black Nitride
    Finish Color: Black
    Stock Type: None, Blade Stabilizing Arm Brace
    Twist: 1:7"
    Barrel Length: 10.5

Poly upper / poly lower. Also looks like the handguard is too close to "can it".

***** also saw rugers new offering in 300. It has a adjustable "brace" like with a locking pin ratchet, looks just like a normal stock... must be legal if rugers selling it.

Can't find a review online?? And they are out of stock at most places. Could be they are good or utter crap.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm guessing you're wanting a cool factor pistol with possible hunting abilities. Your twist rate really depends on what you're wanting out of the barrel, performance, accuracy. Now you need to start adding in the variables to obtain this performance, such as, Are you wanting to shoot paper targets, animals or both, will you use supersonic, subsonic or both, and what grain bullet will you mainly use, 110g, xxxg, xxxg, 200g or 220g? Once you figure out your variables, then you can research what the best overall twist you'll most likely be happy with.
    And with a pistol length barrel, using factory loads, I personally would go with a 1-8 twist.
    If you have figured out what length barrel you're wanting, start searching the best "overall" twist rate for it and the best grain bullets to use with it. And if you reload, you can tune a cartridge load to get optimal performance.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I have two AR pistols already a 7.62x39 (7inch) and a 5.56 (10.5). I just liked the idea of a straight walled cartridge, I'm new to reloading, I've been loading 45 colt and enjoy it. ( read as understand it) I figured being new a .300 bo might be easier than the 7.62 or the 5.56. (maybe?) Also the 300 bo uses the same bullets and powder as the .308 and 30-06 I plan on reloading.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    On the ati maxx... ATI is planning to offer several variants in this chambering, including an NFA version with a 10.5-inch barrel, which requires the usual transfers, and a simple carbine with a 16-inch barrel.

Still as of now, not a single review of the 10.5. I figured if it sucked the internet would be full of them? Makes me wonder.

I think this is where the 10.5 barrels came from.

about the best info I could find.

https://grabagun.com/ati-300bo-pstl-10-5-brl-10-km-ergo.html

I guess I'll drop some cash and see.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really do not understand some of these companies reasoning.
    Same gun except that one is a NFA rifle . . . the other is a non NFA pistol. Which one do they feel that they will sell more of.
    Take a guess . . . in percentages. My guess - -> 20-80. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom