• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have a Ruger precision rifle in .308. Bought a bushnell 6-18x50 scope and am having trouble finding the right height for scope mount. I bought high and extra high weaver rings but those still aren’t high enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with a LaRue mount, that gave me plenty of clearance on my Tikka . But if you want just rings the Leupold mark 4 series in extra high or might be super high will work also.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    JJ ='s pure,unadulterated knowledge. The Albert Einstein of the gun world.
    Can he be cloned ??
    BUT . . . my guess would be,with it all the way down,and NO drop at the comb (like an AR) ,you actually cannot position your cheek LOW enough.
    Then you need higher rings.
    My guess - -> Burris Extreme Tactical EXTRA HIGH (1 INCH). A height of 1.25 - 1.40" would even be better.
    Try to stay away from scope risers if possible. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    you can stack equal amounts of quarters on the rail under the scope until you get the desired height...measure the stack...then add your scope center figure.. then look for the measured height you got in their specs.. rather than buying random sets to see.

not sure why the ones you have aren't high enough

Last edited:

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you can stack equal amounts of quarters on the rail under the scope until you get the desired height...measure the stack...then add your scope center figure.. then look for the measured height you got in their specs.. rather than buying random sets to see.

Rough guess is about 1 1/8 inch from the top of the p rail to the bottom of the scope tube. Been there done that, after waisting money trying to make some things locally work I had to go online for my fix. The last rings I saw locally that would work were over at Outpost Guns in Spanish Fort Al. we were putting a 50 mm bell scope on a Steyr Scout rifle that has the Picatanny rail all the way down the rifle. Don't remember the brand of the rings but they were quality rings for a reasonable price.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you want to bring your gun and scope over,I have a set of the above mentioned rings that we can try on your gun to check for height.
    I believe that they have them at Mike's.
    I also have a set of the Nikon P Series that you could try. Both are for 1" tubes. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Agreed, I don’t know why they won’t work either. I did some research and most said high, but that didn’t work for my scope. Did extra high, it cleared the barrel but only by a very tiny amount. And I read that you need more clearance for when the metal flexes when you shoot.

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you want to bring your gun and scope over,I have a set of the above mentioned rings that we can try on your gun to check for height.
    I believe that they have them at Mike's.
    I also have a set of the Nikon P Series that you could try. Both are for 1" tubes. --- SAWMAN

Sent you a PM

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Returned your PM with contact info.
    Your scope has a 1" main tube,right (not 30mm) ?? ---- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Medium, Tall, Extra Tall is to vague. The RPR should have a 20 MOA inclination rail. Scope 50mm front objective is the glass not the larger exterior of the Bell Housing. You still want to be as close to the bore as possible but thats always secondary to firearm clearance and your eye allignment. Vortex Precision matched 1.26 inch high Rings will fix your problem. You may find cheaper but that's the hight you need.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2016/0...4x50-riflescope-discussion-with-the-6-5-guys/

If you will use a Lens Filter, cap or cover: that additional layer must be added. Here is a useful Table:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=11213

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Medium, Tall, Extra Tall is to vague. The RPR should have a 20 MOA inclination rail. Scope 50mm front objective is the glass not the larger exterior of the Bell Housing. You still want to be as close to the bore as possible but thats always secondary to firearm clearance and your eye allignment. Vortex Precision matched 1.26 inch high Rings will fix your problem. You may find cheaper but that's the hight you need.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2016/0...4x50-riflescope-discussion-with-the-6-5-guys/

If you will use a Lens Filter, cap or cover: that additional layer must be added. Here is a useful Table:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=11213

U fortunately those won’t work with my 1” tube scope. Those are for 30MM tubes. But thank you for providing the information.

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2a04f4063cf4899f9e8cc926efe58c8b.jpg

There is enough clearance for 5 sheets of printer paper. Thinking I need a little bit higher scope mounts.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think there's a problem using it as shown. I just slit/cut a section out to accommodate scope covers (front connected to rear by rubber bungee) so they slide on. Separate "flip-up" covers when slit/cut should still have enough surface friction to hold in place or set with double sided tape, it comes in several thickness variations.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    i know I could get sawman going .If he can;t and you want to try one I have two RPR mounted one 308 and one in 6.5 C just my 5 cents jj

Top Bottom