• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Try'n Hard

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I buy new, does the background check also serve as notice to the government that I am an AR15 owner? Assume buying used is safer?

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I build an Ar and then I sell them using the gunshow loophole. I never keep one. I only keep my over/under shotguns. They're all I really need.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always buy used if at all possible, IMHO it defeats the whole purpose of the second amendment to fill out a 4473. Armslist is your best friend, not only no paper trail but you can find some smoking good deals on it. I'm surprised they haven't shut it down, it's probably only a matter of time.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Do all your buying now before even private sales are made to go through an FFL..I would not doubt this is going to happen. You know it is funny, I have built 5 AR's in 223/556 and the one now is the only one I even got to shoot before someone bought it...I just have no use for them since I run the 6.8 and X39 AR's

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do all your buying now before even private sales are made to go through an FFL..I would not doubt this is going to happen. You know it is funny, I have built 5 AR's in 223/556 and the one now is the only one I even got to shoot before someone bought it...I just have no use for them since I run the 6.8 and X39 AR's

Couldn’t agree more. Constitutional sales will soon be outlawed as will even passing from father to son without a background check so they are no longer off the radar.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Only ar I bought on paper I've sold but that gives them a reason to come look for others. Idk. Going to hell in a handbasket quick.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I buy new, does the background check also serve as notice to the government that I am an AR15 owner? Assume buying used is safer?
    IIRC correctly the background check does not record the precise model of rifle. The 4473 form does record what you bought. There is also some sort of log that the dealer keeps that is for many dealer digital, but I am not sure what it is.

I will assume that this is not sarcasm
    I build an Ar and then I sell them using the gunshow loophole. I never keep one. I only keep my over/under shotguns. They're all I really need.
    My take: Make sure your DNA is gone from anything that you sell, especially if you sell to strangers. Many do not know that if any blood relative of yours has had their DNA sequenced, they might then be able to get a partial hit on yours. For murder cases they can put to use sufficient resources to narrow it down to various relatives and could eventually be on your door step. Just selling a self manufactured AR sans serial number, etc could have legal consequences for those lacking the correct manufacturing license. I am not sure about this and do not want to be a test case for it. You may make guns w/o a license for your own use, but are not supposed to sell it.

I have purchased one assembled AR lower and I will declare or register it as required by any future laws that may be enacted in FL or at the Federal level.
    Be aware that Software for analyzing content from internet postings and also software that can scan written records is getting a lot more powerful. Keep that in mind for what ever it is that you say on the web.
    some years ago there was talk of by the ATF of digitizing records from FFL that went out of business. I do not know if it was ever done. Point is once information is written down, in the future that data could end up in a government cloud account.
    Always obey the letter of the law.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone bought the DNA remover that scans and destroys all DNA from property you sell. Seems to be pretty efficient
    Bleach and sunlight is usually hard on nucleic acids. Before you go there you better remove tool marks or at least get rid the tools your used to make the lower AR receiver.

Scanning DNA: I seem to recall that reagents such as Ethidium bromide is an intercalating agent commonly used as a fluorescent tag for nucleic acids. I suspect I have already lost some of the readers here. Basically you do not know what you do not know and there is no good reason to get involved in illegal acts as things are currently. If they find and can extract an exfoliated skin cell or two from some crevice of that receiver? Normally no one is going to be looking that hard, but why do such things?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well then...
    31723c1d4aa88ced39e0bbe12fc44a84.gif

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Link describes the case. If you can get DNA of a fired shell casing, the same should be true of a receiver that one made.
    A new method of DNA testing could solve more shootings
    Criminologists thought it was impossible to get DNA off of shell casings, but a technique pioneered in the Netherlands is having notable results https://www.policeone.com/police-pr...od-of-DNA-testing-could-solve-more-shootings/

Golden state killer
    More than three decades after the spate of killings and home invasions ended, investigators last year tracked down and arrested former police officer Joseph DeAngelo, 73, after comparing DNA found at crime scenes to data on commercial genealogy websites. So far they have charged him with 13 counts of murder and kidnapping from 1975 through 1986. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...spect-of-1975-murder-prosecutor-idUSKCN1P31P9

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fixed it for you.

Thanks!

When I say registered what I really meant was serialized when manufactured. I don't support a national registry.

This whole idea of a door to door confiscation and if you have serialized firearms they will be coming for you just doesn't pass the reality test. It's a logistical impossibility. The shear size and cost of it would be outrageous. Not to mention I imagine they would quickly run out of people willing to put themselves at risk to enforce it.

Picturing in my mind the first conflicted poor bastard in a stack at the door with a look of fear about to raid the red flagged grizzled old Vietnam vet. Dude has made peace with the life he's lived, has Fortunate Son blaring on the stereo, and is locked and loaded screaming come and take it....lol

Canada passed a law to only register every long gun and it swelled from an estimated cost of 2 million to 1 billion and the effort was abandoned.

So a national registry ain't happening because it's too expensive and no-one would comply and sure as hell door to door confiscation is all but impossible.

So again. Why the F@$% risk federal prison to sell a self-manufactured unserialized gun in a private sale for peanuts when an unregistered but serialized receiver can be had for $50 bucks? I've always thought these crap polymer 80% receivers had the potential to get people into deep sh!t.

All I'm saying is to think clearly and don't do something so minor in reality yet with potentially huge consequences and personal cost just to "stick it to the man" about gun laws in one's own head.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks!

When I say registered what I really meant was serialized when manufactured. I don't support a national registry.

This whole idea of a door to door confiscation and if you have serialized firearms they will be coming for you just doesn't pass the reality test. It's a logistical impossibility. The shear size and cost of it would be outrageous. Not to mention I imagine they would quickly run out of people willing to put themselves at risk to enforce it.

Picturing in my mind the first conflicted poor bastard in a stack at the door with a look of fear about to raid the red flagged grizzled old Vietnam vet. Dude has made peace with the life he's lived, has Fortunate Son blaring on the stereo, and is locked and loaded screaming come and take it....lol

Canada passed a law to only register every long gun and it swelled from an estimated cost of 2 million to 1 billion and the effort was abandoned.

So a national registry ain't happening because it's too expensive and no-one would comply and sure as hell door to door confiscation is all but impossible.

So again. Why the F@$% risk federal prison to sell a self-manufactured unserialized gun in a private sale for peanuts when an unregistered but serialized receiver can be had for $50 bucks? I've always thought these crap polymer 80% receivers had the potential to get people into deep sh!t.

All I'm saying is to think clearly and don't do something so minor in reality yet with potentially huge consequences and personal cost just to "stick it to the man" about gun laws in one's own head.

A national registry system that works as intended will not likely happen. Remember politicians often really do not care if the laws they pass work as advertised.
    An issue that I was discussing was selling the receivers that you make to private individuals without the proper licenses and paper work. Today it would only be important if an AR with such a receiver was used in a mass shooting etc. No telling what the FBI or ATF forensic labs could find out. I might make such a receiver but I would not sell one, especially not to a complete stranger. Not enough money to make the risk worth while. You could also be a victim of a sting operation since it is illegal to sell them.

I keep seeing people talking about all of the dead LEOs that will die from seizing peoples guns. I think some might try and resist. Most people would not violently resist and would probably try and stash what they have so it would not be readily found.

If someone is foolish enough to resist, do not count on just dealing with a typical SWAT team. Remember if needed just about any hardware the USA DoD has can be used. It is already against the bill of rights and constitution to seize firearms from private citizens. It would not be a big problem to do a lot worse to enforce such laws.
    This is how we do it overseas and remember what happened at Waco when the Koresh group refused to surrender.

tractorboy54

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

And this is the kind of behavior that gives the gun control groups evidence for universal back ground checks.

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And this is the kind of behavior that gives the gun control groups evidence for universal back ground checks.

Yes. A joke gives them evidence.

For all the sensitive Susans out there, I have a drawer full of AR lowers. I do not believe in the "Gunshow Loophole". I do think an Over/Under is all I need for bird hunting and if Robert Francis hadn't come out with his "Hell Yes" statement, Trump would be trying to "compromise" and erode even more gun rights away.

tractorboy54

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes. A joke gives them evidence.

For all the sensitive Susans out there, I have a drawer full of AR lowers. I do not believe in the "Gunshow Loophole". I do think an Over/Under is all I need for bird hunting and if Robert Francis hadn't come out with his "Hell Yes" statement, Trump would be trying to "compromise" and erode even more gun rights away.

My apologies Mr Fish for not recognizing your post as sarcasm. Unfortunately there are people out there doing exactly what you described.

Top Bottom